Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Rear trailer hitch Question

On the rear trailer hitch on the trailer states 300lb limit. Wondering if the limit is for the hitch it self or where it is attached to the trailer frame. I beefed up the hitch. Just wanting to add 200 lbs to the hitch.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
On the rear trailer hitch on the trailer states 300lb limit. Wondering if the limit is for the hitch it self or where it is attached to the trailer frame. I beefed up the hitch. Just wanting to add 200 lbs to the hitch.
A friend of mine beefed up his, actually replaced it with a 2" receiver , added some bracing on the frame , and pulls a 12 foot ATV trailer with a ATV side by side on it with no issues. To answer your question I think the limiting factor is those light weight receivers . I am sure the frames are capable of much more .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
That 300lb is tongue weight so a Class II hitch it should pull up to 3500lbs but limited to 300lb tongue weight
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I removed the 1.25" hitch and installed a 2" receiver in its place. The weak point is the frame extensions the factory installed to put on the original receiver.
New hitch is rated for 500# tongue and #5000 total weight. More than I need for by two ebikes.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like mentioned, remove the factory "attempt of a hitch" and start over using adequate mounts and material. That way, you won't be monitoring the roadway in your mirror for what you might leave behind.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Not all receivers on these units are created equal.

On our 3741FK, it is for static, vertical 300 lbs load limit. Not for pulling a trailer. If you want to stay legal, you can't pull a trailer with one of these, because they do not have a tow sticker rating. It's the equivalent of the payload sticker that is on the door panel of your truck...
Old 02-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I removed the 1.25" hitch and installed a 2" receiver in its place. The weak point is the frame extensions the factory installed to put on the original receiver.
New hitch is rated for 500# tongue and #5000 total weight. More than I need for by two ebikes.

Thats pretty much what my friend did, then beefed up frame ,and extensions , that I mentioned in my previous post. The frame itself is plenty stout enough .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Everyone is stuck on using bicycle carriers for E-bikes. My E-bike weights 65 lbs and the wifes weights 61 lbs and the typical bicycle carrier will be stressed hanging off the back of a 5er or a motorhome big time no matter what the ad says, I know I wouldn`t and don`t trust one. Besides you loose a heavy E-bike or 2 on the road at 65 miles an hour cause of a real bumpy bridge transition you will likey cause a serious accident or kill some one in the prosses. Not on my consious thank you.

Here is the solution I use.
https://www.discountramps.com/black-...ier/p/MCC-500/
Not sure about others but lifting and trying to fit thease bikes on a bicycle carrier is to hard for me and what about taking them off , nope ,nadda not at this point in my life. I bought the aluminum one with the 6 `ramp I added another tray for the other E-bike and store the loading ramp in the basement. Most E-bikes have a walk mode so I can push the button and the bike drives it self up the ramp very slowly. It is rated for 450 lbs and has a steel 2 inch receiver connection so it is plenty strong and does not weigh much only 38 lbs for security and a mite cheaper to. Heavy Ebikes-bicycle carriers . Think about it.
I woud have added pictures of my set up to add validity and credibility to this post for the people that have a hard time believing what some people post but it`s raining up where I store my unit and didn`t feel like getting wet.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Everyone is stuck on using bicycle carriers for E-bikes. My E-bike weights 65 lbs and the wifes weights 61 lbs and the typical bicycle carrier will be stressed hanging off the back of a 5er or a motorhome big time no matter what the ad says, I know I wouldn`t and don`t trust one. Besides you loose a heavy E-bike or 2 on the road at 65 miles an hour cause of a real bumpy bridge transition you will likey cause a serious accident or kill some one in the prosses. Not on my consious thank you.

Here is the solution I use.
https://www.discountramps.com/black-...ier/p/MCC-500/
Not sure about others but lifting and trying to fit thease bikes on a bicycle carrier is to hard for me and what about taking them off , nope ,nadda not at this point in my life. I bought the aluminum one with the 6 `ramp I added another tray for the other E-bike and store the loading ramp in the basement. Most E-bikes have a walk mode so I can push the button and the bike drives it self up the ramp very slowly. It is rated for 450 lbs and has a steel 2 inch receiver connection so it is plenty strong and does not weigh much only 38 lbs for security and a mite cheaper to. Heavy Ebikes-bicycle carriers . Think about it.
I would have added pictures of my set up to add validity and credibility to this post for the people that have a hard time believing what some people post but it`s raining up where I store my unit and didn`t feel like getting wet.
I have a LWB recumbent. swagman makes one that will carry it, but it is not rated for being on a towed vehicle. It does not hold up well on the front of the truck either.

I would really appreciate it if when things dry out, if you post a couple of pics. One of the top of the deck and one loaded. That way I can see if it can be adapted to my needs. Thanks.

My bike BTW is a Lightfoot Ranger
https://lightfootcycles.com/blogs/al...-mountain-bike
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
go for the gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have a LWB recumbent. swagman makes one that will carry it, but it is not rated for being on a towed vehicle. It does not hold up well on the front of the truck either.

I would really appreciate it if when things dry out, if you post a couple of pics. One of the top of the deck and one loaded. That way I can see if it can be adapted to my needs. Thanks.

My bike BTW is a Lightfoot Ranger
https://lightfootcycles.com/blogs/al...-mountain-bike
I added the center post for more stability for the bikes. And just put the thing on the back of my truck instead of the camper. But you can see this rack with the ramp looks wide enough for the type of bike you have. It`s rated for 450 lbs and comes with a stablizer clamp to stop the movement.
With both bikes without bateries installed I`m at 148 lbs so under max for the camper hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	5546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	5547  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
akoske
Established Member

M.O.C. #23553
We have a Swagman E-Spec bike carrier. RV approved and weight capacity of 70lb per bike.
akoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I upgraded the factory receiver assembly on my Monty from 1.25" x 1.25" to 2.0" x 2.0". The receiver assembly is bolted to a "U" bracket that is welded to the Monty I beam. When I removed the original assembly I found a tag that stated 150 lb. weight limit. Examination of the original assembly revealed that the weak points were where the "U" brackets are welded to the I beam. The 2.0" x 2.0" receiver allows me to use a better quality bike rack than I was able to find for the 1.25" configuration. I only carry two bikes and I keep them as close to the back of the Monty as I can without risking damage to the end cap. This helps to reduce any leverage the weighted rack could exert on the receiver. Our two bikes come in at a total of 50 lbs and the rack weighs 15 lbs; well within the 150 lb rating. I don't want to think about the effective weight on the receiver when I hit a bump in the road and the TV/Monty pitch front to rear, causing G forces to magnify the actual weight. If I do hit such a bump, I look in the mirror to see if I see a bike rack in the road behind me. God forbid it would break off and land in the path of someone following me.