Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
nemesis45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18648
Bicycle and carrier recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for bicycles and receiver hitchs for 75 year old people.
Thank you
Ronnie

nemesis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
This style carrier is the easiest to use and it is compatible with virtually every bike. It is also the Top Seller (4.5 stars 1900 reviews) on Amazon and very affordable. We are avid riders and have used this same rack for 10 years and it still functions like new. Unlike rack that hold the bide from the top where bikes can swing this rack totally secures the entire bike so there is no movement of the bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross...s%2C214&sr=8-3

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
As for bikes Ebikes are the way to go. The top rated Ebike for 2019 was the RAD Bikes. Look at the rad Mini which is a foldable Ebike.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/new-models

Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
There are several recent threads regarding receiver bike racks with some good information. This topic has started to resemble the ones regarding favorite hitches.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Be careful with the Swagman. I bought one a few years ago and it came with a warning sticker to not use on a 5th wheel. I did and found out why, too much movement back there and tore the poor thing up. I had the loose joint welded and it works ok now. The one I bought had the 1 1/4” hitch but they later stated selling one with a 2” hitch recommended for 5th wheels. Maybe they have fixed the problems with it but do the research. I do like it now that I modified it...
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
we also have the Swagman that has either 1 1/2 or 2" end. Bought in April 2009 and never had any trouble with it after trip across US and 6 trips to Arizona from Oregon. Easy to use and keeps bike secure.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchy View Post
Be careful with the Swagman. I bought one a few years ago and it came with a warning sticker to not use on a 5th wheel. I did and found out why, too much movement back there and tore the poor thing up. I had the loose joint welded and it works ok now. The one I bought had the 1” hitch but they later stated selling one with a 2” hitch recommended for 5th wheels. Maybe they have fixed the problems with it but do the research. I do like it now that I modified it...
I have not seen one with a 1" hitch. Had my Swagman for 10 years now and even use it on my Wrangler while off road, in fact the Swagman comes standard with the anti sway bolt that tightens it down to the receiver preventing any sway at all it is one of the most solid bike racks out there especially since both the wheels and frame cinched down it is impossible for the bike itself to move.

The video above shows how that works
Old 01-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
There are specific models of racks, including swagman that are approved for towed vehicles. The selection available on e-trailer clearly identify the specified usage.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I have not seen one with a 1" hitch. Had my Swagman for 10 years now and even use it on my Wrangler while off road, in fact the Swagman comes standard with the anti sway bolt that tightens it down to the receiver preventing any sway at all it is one of the most solid bike racks out there especially since both the wheels and frame cinched down it is impossible for the bike itself to move.

The video above shows how that works
Sorry... 1 1/4” hitch. I am too lazy to type all those characters but I will correct my post.

I also have the 2” adapter with anti sway but mine did indeed loosen where the 1 1/4 connects to the body of the rack. I had it welded when I had a custom hitch fabricated and installed to better prevent the constant sway and pounding in the back of the 5th wheel. My 3160RL only came with a 1 1/4 hitch...
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
You may also want to consider WHERE you put the bikes (IE: which receiver you use).

Obviously the hitch on the king pin is totally out of the question since you at a minimum have to climb up in the bed of the truck and lift the bikes a couple feet in the air both to put them in the bed then up on a rack.

Next would be the back of the 5th wheel which while ok from a height off the ground prespective, is known to be a rougher ride for the bikes and they are out in the weather.

Then there is the front of the truck, perhaps slightly higher off the ground and not only out in the weather but also prime bug catching country.

Finally there is my favorite spot which is on the tow truck rear bumper receiver. With the proper drop down hitch this is the lowest off the ground location, it is mostly out of the weather and the bikes are still on the truck when you drive to town without the 5th wheel. I suspect that a welder might even be able to design a swing down arm that would allow the bikes to be loaded flat on the ground then raised up and locked in place (you only need to lift them about a foot at that location). This also happens to be the location with the least amount of bouncing for the bikes.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
nemesis45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18648
Thanks for the opinions, I guess we have some thinking to do.
I looked at the Rad Mini. they would fold up and fit on the roll-out tray in the back of our 3790. We wouldn't need a rack.
Thanks to all.
nemesis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
You may also want to consider WHERE you put the bikes (IE: which receiver you use).

Finally there is my favorite spot which is on the tow truck rear bumper receiver. With the proper drop down hitch this is the lowest off the ground location, it is mostly out of the weather and the bikes are still on the truck when you drive to town without the 5th wheel. I suspect that a welder might even be able to design a swing down arm that would allow the bikes to be loaded flat on the ground then raised up and locked in place (you only need to lift them about a foot at that location). This also happens to be the location with the least amount of bouncing for the bikes.
I would really like to see a picture of how this looks. How are the bikes out of the way when turning or going over a rise where the handlebars would contact the trailer.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Whatever you chose make sure it is stout and tight. And once mounted have someone follow behind and watch your bikes. I have been behind 5ers with bike racks on the back that appeared to barely move. And I have been behind some that bounce rather violently.

Jim is very biased against pin box mounted bike racks. But I love mine and at 74 I have no problem loading and unloading our bikes. Would be harder for electric bikes though. And the narrow space between the back of my truck and the front of my 5er is not enough to put bikes there. With tailgate down I have to be near straight on backing in to hookup so as not to hit the 5er with the tailgate corner.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Whatever you chose make sure it is stout and tight. And once mounted have someone follow behind and watch your bikes. I have been behind 5ers with bike racks on the back that appeared to barely move. And I have been behind some that bounce rather violently.

Jim is very biased against pin box mounted bike racks. But I love mine and at 74 I have no problem loading and unloading our bikes. Would be harder for electric bikes though. And the narrow space between the back of my truck and the front of my 5er is not enough to put bikes there. With tailgate down I have to be near straight on backing in to hookup so as not to hit the 5er with the tailgate corner.

Jim biased? Nah. Next you will say he is opiniated.

I know Jim will get me later
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Jim biased? Nah. Next you will say he is opiniated.

I know Jim will get me later
Yep I am opinioned and actually not ashamed of it.

But then I did put all the options out there. IF someone has a different opinion and wants to counter mine have at it.

I'm not sure you could call my thoughts on the pin box mounts biased so much as I just don't think it is the best place to mount the bikes for reasons I stated. And while some 75 year olds are very capable, I got the jest from the OP that he was looking for something that was very easy to use. That is why I suggested that a welder might be able to build something that would let the bikes be loaded on the carrier flat on the ground. They actually have something like that for motorcycles on the back of Class A motorhomes (granted it is hydraulic).

Just to let ya know we actually did carry our bikes on the back bumper of the tow truck and had absolutely no clearance problems with either of our trailers. We had a drop down hitch that left the handlebars about even with the tailgate. We did have to unload the bikes to drop the tailgate for hitching on our version but there is a drop down hinged bike rack that would have eliminated that issue or I could have gotten a piece of square tubing and made a longer slide for the hitch (I'm not real good at describing how that would work sorry). We no longer need the bike rack as we have a garage on the HC381TH. But we have on occasion used the rack when we went into a town and wanted to take the bikes. I just find that the rear bumper of the truck is the strongest, most stable and lowest mounting point for the bike rack. You can disagree if you like, I won't take offense.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I would really like to see a picture of how this looks. How are the bikes out of the way when turning or going over a rise where the handlebars would contact the trailer.
Wasn't a problem at all on our 1 ton dually RAM but those trucks are sky high (as in trouble to get in the bed even for me and I'm 6'2"). And we used a drop down receiver that put the rack considerably lower than it would have been if straight into the truck hitch.

On my truck, with either 5th wheel I could walk between the bikes and the trailer so no issues with turning clearance. Only two problems I did have with my setup was I could not open the generator door on the front of our new unit (I could open battery compartment) and I had to take the bikes off to hitch up (IE: let the tailgate all the way down). I could have added a longer piece of square tubing (the part that slides into the receiver and got the bikes back about 2-3" and the tailgate would have dropped down below the height of the hitch. OR if I had one of those notched tailgates I could have unhitched no problem with bikes in place. And if you really want to get technical I could have raised the front jacks on the trailer to give the clearance over the bikes (which may be the easiest thing for a 75 year old to do). The tailgate does let down some with the bikes in place so you only have to go a couple inches higher than what you normally would and yes you do have to first pull of the hitch and pull forward a foot or so then raise the trailer to clear before pulling the rest of the way out but it isn't that big of a deal.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #17
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Wasn't a problem at all on our 1 ton dually RAM but those trucks are sky high (as in trouble to get in the bed even for me and I'm 6'2"). And we used a drop down receiver that put the rack considerably lower than it would have been if straight into the truck hitch.

On my truck, with either 5th wheel I could walk between the bikes and the trailer so no issues with turning clearance. Only two problems I did have with my setup was I could not open the generator door on the front of our new unit (I could open battery compartment) and I had to take the bikes off to hitch up (IE: let the tailgate all the way down). I could have added a longer piece of square tubing (the part that slides into the receiver and got the bikes back about 2-3" and the tailgate would have dropped down below the height of the hitch. OR if I had one of those notched tailgates I could have unhitched no problem with bikes in place. And if you really want to get technical I could have raised the front jacks on the trailer to give the clearance over the bikes (which may be the easiest thing for a 75 year old to do). The tailgate does let down some with the bikes in place so you only have to go a couple inches higher than what you normally would and yes you do have to first pull of the hitch and pull forward a foot or so then raise the trailer to clear before pulling the rest of the way out but it isn't that big of a deal.
Without pictures I don't believe it
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:22 AM   #18
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have a Thule bike rack for 2 bikes--about 45 lbs total bike weight--not eBikes. Ours is a front mount on the truck--even leave it there when we are home. Works great for us.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #19
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
I contacted etrailer about a carrier for ebikes and they indicated no carrier on the market is recommended on the back of a TT or a 5er. They recommended to put the carrier on the front bumper of your truck.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #20
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny B View Post
I contacted etrailer about a carrier for ebikes and they indicated no carrier on the market is recommended on the back of a TT or a 5er. They recommended to put the carrier on the front bumper of your truck.

Frankly of you are going with Ebikes get a folding bike that really opens your options for transporting either in the 5er basement or the bed of the truck. Besides considering the cost of Ebikes you want to also keep them inside when not using them and away from 5er or camp.