Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #21
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The Ford DEF Spout is the hot ticket. Far superior to the crap included with boxed DEF.

Here is one place to get it.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-NO.../dp/B008B5WVF8

I assume that works with Chevy, Ford and Dodge, or is the Ford DEF filler different than the rest?

We will most likely end up with a Chevy...

CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #22
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Having a Ford I can only speculate that since it is compatible with the spout in boxed DEF, and boxed DEF works with all vehicles, therefore the Ford spout should too.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #23
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Having a Ford I can only speculate that since it is compatible with the spout in boxed DEF, and boxed DEF works with all vehicles, therefore the Ford spout should too.
Thanks for the link and info!!!
Old 12-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #24
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
My take is if the station is large, the DEF will be “fresh” and it is a piece of cake to fill the DEF tank. The pump shuts off just like the fuel pump and the nozzle fits. My only problem is remembering how to get the DEF pump to work at the truck lanes at Pilot.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #25
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
I

We will most likely end up with a Chevy...
Sorry to hear this LOL
Ford guy here
I bet Chevy dealer will have one for there trucks. i also hear it's located under the hood.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #26
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
The Ford DEF Spout is the hot ticket. Far superior to the crap included with boxed DEF.

Here is one place to get it.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-NO.../dp/B008B5WVF8

I picked one up a couple months ago at a Ford Dealer; $6 or $7.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #27
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
Sorry to hear this LOL
Ford guy here
I bet Chevy dealer will have one for there trucks. i also hear it's located under the hood.
LOL!!

On the 2020's, it is by the fuel fill now. Not sure where it was before, but not there.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:29 AM   #28
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I had a similar experience last year with DEF warnings while we were on a week-long trip headed west to Arizona. I use the DEF-at-the-pumps at truck stops. Since I had not filled the DEF tank myself in 6 months and wasn't sure if it was done at the last oil change, I topped off (a couple of gallons) at my first fuel stop which was in NJ.

Fast forward a week to Texas where I got the low DEF warning on I-10 in the middle of nowhere. No refill warning, just straight to the "limp" warning. Very concerning! I found a NAPA store at the next town, got some DEF in a jug, and found that it only took about 2 gallons to top off. Started up and got no warning, so I hoped all was good. Got back on the highway and got a refill warning about 100 miles later. That night I got out my OBD2 reader, read the codes (yup, DEF refill code), and erased them since I knew I had just filled the DEF reservoir. No more errors on the trip. At the last truck stop before my snowbird destination I topped of the DEF tank with about a gallon.

At the next service appointment a month later I told the tech about it. They checked and could not find any problems with the sensors. I haven't had a problem since.

I guess these sensors and computers are a little twitchy. I like the comment that sometimes they get confused. I think the DEF-in-a-jug vs. DEF-at-the-pump could make a whole thread discussion, second only to the Ford vs Chevy vs RAM discussion!
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:22 AM   #29
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
I guess these sensors and computers are a little twitchy. I like the comment that sometimes they get confused. I think the DEF-in-a-jug vs. DEF-at-the-pump could make a whole thread discussion, second only to the Ford vs Chevy vs RAM discussion!
On our VW, the sensors would get corrosion on them (that's probably a layman's way of looking at it), and then they would give false readings, and do all kinds of unwanted things. We never had any issues with ours when we had it, but it was a common thing...
Old 12-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #30
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Going from DEF full to limp mode warnings, where you can only add a gallon or two, is a known Ford problem. They replace the DEF tanks and sensors under warranty to correct it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #31
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post
My take is if the station is large, the DEF will be “fresh” and it is a piece of cake to fill the DEF tank. The pump shuts off just like the fuel pump and the nozzle fits. My only problem is remembering how to get the DEF pump to work at the truck lanes at Pilot.
Getting DEF at the pump can be a little tricky. As for as only buying by the carton I would like for someone to explain how there are thousands of gallons of DEF sold at the truck stops every day which I am sure is more than what the rver's use yet there are those that are still leery of the pumps. If I were leery of the DEF then I would be leery of the diesel at truck stops.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #32
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I'm willing to bet that the DEF at a busy truck stop is fresher then any that you buy off a shelf. My fear of truck stop DEF is contamination, whether it's from debris getting into the tank while filling or cross contamination from an inattentive delivery person.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #33
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Soooo at the truckstop, do they give you the expiration date of their DEF? Would you call anything at a truckstop fresh?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #34
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
... As for as only buying by the carton I would like for someone to explain how there are thousands of gallons of DEF sold at the truck stops every day which I am sure is more than what the rver's use yet there are those that are still leery of the pumps. If I were leery of the DEF then I would be leery of the diesel at truck stops.
While I've never gotten DEF at the pump, this would be my thinking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I'm willing to bet that the DEF at a busy truck stop is fresher then any that you buy off a shelf. My fear of truck stop DEF is contamination, whether it's from debris getting into the tank while filling or cross contamination from an inattentive delivery person.
This is a valid point, about the contamination at the end of the nozzle. Could one simply wipe the end off before using it, if you were that concerned about the nozzle?

So, this got me to thinkin', how is DEF delivered to a station? I surmised that DEF was NOT stored underground, because the amount of DEF that a station would need, would be small compared to the amount of fuel they need. Not all customers get DEF, and even when they do, they pump a fraction of DEF compared to the fuel they dispense. That number is like probably in the single digit percentages of fuel vs. DEF.

Turns out, that it can be stored above ground, and that it's in a tote, which typically holds about 250 gallons. All the stuff about them mixing old with new, is a pretty weak argument, because I'm assuming that they fill the tank when it's pretty low, and there's not a lot of "old" mixed with new. They are also turning that stuff a LOT more frequently than you or I would off the shelf, that appears to be a moot point to me.

Here's a video on how it's delivered to small places (at least one companies perspective). If all companies do what this company is doing, contamination at the bulk fill end, should be a moot point as well:

Here is a larger bulk tank storage, 800 gallons. I'd assume this tank is underground, but can't confirm that from the video:

Old 12-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #35
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Soooo at the truckstop, do they give you the expiration date of their DEF? ...
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
... Would you call anything at a truckstop fresh? ...
YES! Their fuel. A lot fresher than the Gas 'N Stop on the corner for sure...
Old 12-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #36
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
While I've never gotten DEF at the pump, this would be my thinking as well.

This is a valid point, about the contamination at the end of the nozzle. Could one simply wipe the end off before using it, if you were that concerned about the nozzle?

So, this got me to thinkin', how is DEF delivered to a station? I surmised that DEF was NOT stored underground, because the amount of DEF that a station would need, would be small compared to the amount of fuel they need. Not all customers get DEF, and even when they do, they pump a fraction of DEF compared to the fuel they dispense. That number is like probably in the single digit percentages of fuel vs. DEF.

Turns out, that it can be stored above ground, and that it's in a tote, which typically holds about 250 gallons. All the stuff about them mixing old with new, is a pretty weak argument, because I'm assuming that they fill the tank when it's pretty low, and there's not a lot of "old" mixed with new. They are also turning that stuff a LOT more frequently than you or I would off the shelf, that appears to be a moot point to me.

Here's a video on how it's delivered to small places (at least one companies perspective). If all companies do what this company is doing, contamination at the bulk fill end, should be a moot point as well:

Here is a larger bulk tank storage, 800 gallons. I'd assume this tank is underground, but can't confirm that from the video:

So the only difference is the size of the tote. Both could have been sitting around forever. only one you can see the actual expiration date.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #37
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Going from DEF full to limp mode warnings, where you can only add a gallon or two, is a known Ford problem. They replace the DEF tanks and sensors under warranty to correct it.

That warranty is 11 years or 120,000 miles. I had that DEF heater replaced at 119,721 miles (phew!!) when it started doing strange things like telling me DEF was low and the heater not working. Checking my Scan Gauge, told me it was code P0208. There was a letter sent to Ford owners of record about this fault. The dealer cringed, replaced the heater, added 5 gallons of fresh DEF and 3 hours later, I was on the way back home.

DEF - I only buy it in jugs. I use maybe 6/year unless we do an extended trip then it might get to anoter 3-4. Truck stop islands and their cleanliness is not one of my favorite thins in life.

Just wait until trouble code P0403 shows up. Thats the EGR cooler and that one isn't an extended warranty item but about an 800 and up buck repair bill unless you are a competent mechanic or an adventurous DIYer. I have a spare cooler but to date have been able to clear the code, then drive the truck hard for 50 or so miles and so far, it will usually stay cleared for a couple months.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #38
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Walmart sells a lot of DEF. You can bet its not last years stuff. LOL Also i have seen the crust on those nozzles and decided not to put that in my truck. I don't use that much DEF anyway. I know it's cheaper but it appears that the system is finicky for sure. I don't carry any boxes with me because like Starbucks there is a Walmart on every corner. I always wait till the message comes on the screen 500 till limp. it only takes a couple key starts to clear the message.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #39
Jollymon
Established Member

M.O.C. #22929
I have a 2016 6.7 in my dually. The DPF has always given me fits. It would regen much too frequently. Two dealers did manual regens, and once it was at 300%. The second dealer added a feature to the dash menu that allowed me to see what the percentage was. They did the manual regen and 40 miles later it showed 50% full. I don't know if it was a bad DPF or not, but neither dealer offered to replace it. I ended up doing the logical thing, and without going into detail here, suffice it to say I don't need DEF anymore. The result was amazing, and as an added bonus I can't drive in California now. Good luck with yours.
Jollymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #40
crusherdawg

M.O.C. #18684
After similar problems and $500 to clean DPF, I bought an Edge Insight CTS 2 monitor. I can now watch everything going on. I can manual re- gen if needed. Can also read and clear codes. It just plugs into OBD II plug. Best money I ever spent. Anybody with a diesel should use one.
crusherdawg is offline   Reply With Quote