Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2024, 06:28 PM   #21
Papa Z
Established Member

M.O.C. #30243
I purchased a set of (3) new rollers pretty identical to the ones installed with full intent on using them but I could not figure out where to mount them? I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that they would not be a benefit if they were uncovered in either the open or closed slide position? I did sink one screw into the 2x4's on each side underneath the slide floor just inside the lip that never goes past the rubber seals.

Papa Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:13 PM   #22
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
I bought rollers identical to the ones on the floor and mounted them to the bottom of the box so the box would run parallel to the floor. They are far enough back and offset a little so they don’t run into the floor mounted rollers when the slide is out. Picture is the foot of the bed box with the slide out where you can see the floor and box mounted rollers.

YMMV but I was concerned that the vinyl would get worn or grooved but it’s been ok so far. We sweep the floor before closing the slide. Another concern was I wondered if Keystone designed the box to pivot up/down on those floor rollers as the slide moved but no problems so far with that either. We also took stuff out of the box to keep the weight down.

Besides rollers or casters, I’ve read on this site that other members have used a block with carpet so that the fibers are against the floor. You might find that you don’t need anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6699.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	16873  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:57 AM   #23
Papa Z
Established Member

M.O.C. #30243
From the Picture it appears your Bed Box Plywood floor is attached below the 2x4 supports? I thought of doing exactly what you suggest but just don't see how/where to attach them? Did you add more wood to the side supports? Don't your rollers pass each other during operation? Sorry, confused? All I have to work with on the same plane is the 1.5" side frames.
Papa Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:21 PM   #24
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Did not add wood. I recall it had 1x or 2x matl going across the width. It’s in storage now but will have it early next week and can confirm and take more pictures. Since you have a newer model, maybe the box design changed. If you decide to add support, I suppose you’ll have to decide if it’ll be casters, carpet, or support for rollers.

Re whether the rollers interfere with each other, the picture above shows the rollers as close as they’ll get to each other. When the bed slide is in, those rollers at the foot of the box are about 2 ft from the floor mounted rollers (whatever distance the slide actually moves in). You have to be sure that the box mounted rollers are not mounted too far forward and/or offset from the floor mounted rollers.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:20 PM   #25
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Well done! I'll say after having the slide rebuilt, I haven't had any issues in 30 some trips out. I've probably operated it 90 to 100 times. Schwintec works if installed correctly.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:35 PM   #26
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
We have the camper out this week so following up on post #24. Picture below is the foot end of the bed with the bedroom slide extended. You can see the added roller mounted to the bed box and the factory floor mounted roller behind it. The sketch shows the material I mounted the roller to. The one with the x runs front-to-back and is flush with the bottom edge. The roller is actually wider than that lumber so I drilled a hole near the center of the roller bracket for the screw (you can see the screw head).

The sketch is also intended to show the section of lumber that runs along the back wall of the box but it’s stepped from the one that runs front-to-back. I think at the time (1.5-2 yrs ago) I figured I could add a block to the stepped section or opt to mod the bracket like I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3514.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	16925