Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
Montana_3440

M.O.C. #3440
Slide Out Awnings

Has anyone had any problem with the Slide Out Awnings not holding their tension? My main slide on the 3670RL sags after a rain and the only way to tighten it up is to bring the slide in and then back out. Does anyone have any idea how to tighten up the tension without taking back to the dealer? He's about three states away and I'd rather ask the experts first anyway.

Wendell

Montana_3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I don't believe there is any way to adjust the tension.
If it is going to rain raise your front landing gear so the water will run off the rear of the slide.
You don't need to raise it that much.
When I set up I ususally set-up with the front just a little high,so if it rains it runs off and I don't have to mess with the rear stablizer's.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We leave the rain alone, err, the water collected, until we are ready to move on. I believe there is a spring in those slide awnings, as the water evaperates, the tension returns and there is no longer any sag. Sometimes a good strong wind will flap the awning around enough to cause the water to run off. THe way I understand it, this is the way they are supposed to work. Rain, sag, dry the rain, sag goes away.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I understood them to work that way also. I have run ours in and out on occasion to dump the water. But I really don't think it's necessary as like others have stated I think it would dry off and the tension would be the same as before the rain.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I remember seeing that someone used a beach ball under the middle of their awning, partially inflated enough to make the center higher. We just let the water evaporate.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
I do remember the beach ball trick now that you mention it. Would work great for those staying in one spot for a while. We are not fulltimers. YET?? So we bought the slideout covers more so we didn't have to climb up and out of the roof every weekend to clean the leaves and other things off the slideouts.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 AM   #7
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
All in all, is it worth it to purchase the slide out covers? We are thinking of buying and would appreciate your opinions.
Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 AM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
This is the first trailer I have had them on. I love not having to climb up on the roof and hang down over the slideout and brush off leaves and things. We worked it out in the deal we made when we bought the trailer. I think it keeps the slideout roofs a little cooler in the hot sun. No scientific proof, just my opinion. But if I was to purchase another trailer I think I would get them again. Just because I'm not getting any younger and a friend of ours fell off a ladder this year while cleaning his gutters and broke his back. He only fell 10 feet or so and the top of these trailer are taller than that. He had just perchased a new 5th wheel and never got to use it all summer.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:37 AM   #9
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
You can also use a inflatable beach raft to keep the water from pooling.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I NEVER check my slideout awning - more than once my better half (who breaks camp inside while I do the outside) has dumped the collected rainwater right on top of me while I was cranking up jack. I think she just watches out the window until I'm in position !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
1. I just never worry about it. Ours has had lots of rain on it, lots of snow (to ten inches anyhow), ice, etc. Next time we get ready to move and bring in the slides it all comes off. Just stand back so you don't get drenched (been there!). When it sags it is just pulling more material off the roller. The roller is spring tensioned so will roll that extra material back up when the water is gone.

2. They do have adjustments. The procedure is identical to that for the patio awning. This procedure should be in the patio awning manual. It is recommended two people be involved and that at least one know what they're doing. It is possible, I understand, to be injured by the spring release action if you do not know what you're doing. So be careful if you decide to do this and don't get it too tight or it may cause other problems.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #12
Montana_3440

M.O.C. #3440
Many thanks to all of you for your knowledge. I like the idea of the beach ball or raft. We are going to be in place until next June and being near the coast in south Georgia, we get our share of rain. I have been retracting the slides about once a month as the mechanic at the dealer told me it would help to keep the slides working more smoothly. If I find someone who "knows what he/she is doing", I'll try Steve's approach.

Thanks again,
Montana_3440 is offline   Reply With Quote