Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have a procedure similar to Artimus Gordon. I raise the landing gear just enough to clear the ground, unfortunately one always raises about 3 inches before the other one starts, I put a small block under the higher one and apply the trailer brakes manually, then I attempt to pull forward which does two things, tells you if the brakes are working and that the pin is locked in place.
I then put a padlock through the locking mechanism so no-one can mess with it or so that it cannot accidentally be released.

I do not have a bed saver, and have never dropped the trailer but believe it is good insurance. IMO not letting someone else help with this part of the process and always doing the hookup yourself and taking your time helps reduce the likelyhood of issues.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I ALWAYS place a padlock through the same hole as the release pull handle when I'm hitched. Makes it IMPOSSIBLE to release without 1st removing the padlock.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmall130

I have a Pull Rite auto latch hitch. Doesn't that prevent this from happening? It will NOT latch unless you are correctly seated around the pin.
Not familiar with that hitch, but can it be locked so a trucker (****** off because you had to park in a truck spot to fit in a TA, Love's or a Pilot to eat lunch) can't pull the release and leave you to drive off? If not, you might want to consider one. I check mine everytime before I drive off and the emergency brake also but that doesn't mean I don't get in a hurry once in a while and forget to.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #23
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I love the Blue Ox it has saved me a couple of times.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #24
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
My first line of defense is using my eyeballs. First when I hitch up, if I see that the locking handle doesn't easily move into the locking position it's a sign of a potential problem. Second after the handle is locked in place and as I plug in the electrical cord, I eyeball the opening at the back of the hitch to see that the pin is properly positioned within the jaws. Those two will ensure that all is hitched properly, however we still to make a short move in case there is a mechanical failure that isn't visible to the eye.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #25
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
One has to think of the Blue Ox the same way as the air bags on the truck. Passive safety system. We all have our hookup system we follow. BUT there is always the chance we can get distracted by whatever. If I forget to set the pin correctly I will not set anything I may be using as a backup bed saver. So in my mind I want a passive no brainier system. The Blue Ox has saved me the one time I failed to follow my hook up system. So it has now paid for its self.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have this habit of double checking my hitch at each all stops. Also mine is "impossible" to unlock with weight on it. Just will not release! My camera system also records movement in and around my truck bed. Sends info to my cell phone via my "drop cam"! Caught some youngsters trying to steal gas one time during the night ! I like pad lock idea, but once saw a video of RV fire. Guy was able to detach quickly? and save truck. I know it is rare event, but like to be able to pull away fast! I have seen (1) RV on fire during cross country trip!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No mater what we do, how we do it or how careful we are. Accident "an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury"

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #28
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Hope all the new people to this forum become aware of this possible issue before it could be their story. Suggestion: I painted the 5th wheel receiver hitch latching pawl/crossbar/camlocks white. I also painted the V area which guides the kingpin into the latching area white for contrast. When I look in from my tailgate area and see all white between me and the kingpin, I know it is probably secure. If I still see the kingpin and only partial white, then it's probably not latched or completely latched. After I make sure it is fully latched and not high hooked (I also painted the rear of the ring at the base of the kingpin white so I can see it), I then secure the latch handle with its securing pin (I now use a padlock after seeing all these posts) and it should be secure. Then I make sure I have hooked up the breakaway cable and it is not catching on anything in the bed of the truck. I hope my Butch's latch is my additional piece of insurance in case I overlooked any of the above. A lot of good responses to this post. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #29
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

No mater what we do, how we do it or how careful we are. Accident "an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury"

Amen!

I also wonder "how much is urban legend, how much is true, inre "mad truck driver syndrome". I have experienced nothing but "good respectfull treatment" by truckers. Now I admit, I hurt my last truck, dropped the Montana, and it was "all my fault"! No one else to blame. Not the hitch, not the trailer, just me! Expensive lesson, but in my case, a wake up call. We must all be mindful of surroundings, our tasks, actions, even if it looks silly ! About 20 years ago, my wife had a true to life "serial killer" with her in his sights! True story, what are the odds! Astronomical, but he was caught before he could act! FBI showed us pictures, he had of our home, cars, my wife, etc. That changed my outlook on life forever. Bad people exist, bad truckers, all we can do is concentrate on our world, check double check to keep ourselves safe. I know this post is "Dark" but my point is, its our responsibility to check and recheck our rigs, from hitch to U-bolts!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #30
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Over 20 years pulling a fiver never a problem just careful or dam lucky!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had our Blue OX bedsaver installed before we ever hooked up our 06 3400 eight years later it is now on our 13 3402 big sky. We have never dropped the 5th wheel but that does not mean the bedsaver was a bad investment.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 AM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As I stated last year in this thread, we have the Blue Ox and it is the best insurance you can get for drops! Many say "That will never happen to me because I double check everything when I hook up!" Well ask Paul Kelpe (jpkelpe) what can happen! Double checking doesn't always work and it may not even come off when you first pull away from the campsite. I have not dropped the unit but I have done "drop tests" on it to make sure the Blue Ox is at the correct height and have not had a problem. The "test drops" were done with both the old 2007 Chevy and the newer 2012 and the extra 2" bed height made no difference. The Blue Ox did it's job and kept the Monte off the side rails and away from the tailgate. I'll keep the Blue Ox Bedsaver as long as I have the hitch I have and will put another one on, if a different number is needed(they do change with different hitches and models), on any new hitch I may get down the road. Whole lot cheaper than the $4500- $5000 repair that might be needed to the TV let alone the cost of possible damage to the front nose of the Monte also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #33
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Easy to install. They also send drills and taps. http://www.5thwheellatchkit.com/index.htm
Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #34
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have one for sale, need to get it on here..
It's listed on Kansas City Craig's list

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #35
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have had bedsaver installed on my hitch for ten years. Has saved me twice. Worth the dollars and extra weight.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #36
MikenAngie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13784
I joined the $4,500.00 club a couple months ago. Now have the Blue Ox onboard!
MikenAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #37
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
$4500.00 is the number! Been there, done that....
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 AM   #38
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

$4500.00 is the number! Been there, done that....
Yup, for 1/10th the cost, we could have avoided joining that club!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #39
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
JMHO but a safety device has to be pasive or it is doomed to fail. Look at it this way if you had to flip a switch to turn on your air bage how many people would remember to flip the switch. It's the same with a second slide device to push to be safe if you fail to set the first one. I like to think of the BlueOx as idiot proof. Even I can't mess it up. It works without my needing to remember to engage it.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #40
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I read that some folks have proven the Blue OX works great, has anyone proven that Butch's works great too?
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote