Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
fish4836

M.O.C. #8565
Storage compartment locks

I recently purchased a new montana and very happy with it. Ionly have one comlaint about it. I was driveing up to my house when i noticed my brother inlaw at my rv with the storage compartment open, when i asked him how he got in he told me that ALL keystone campers are keyed the same. That really upset me. I went to my dealer and asked a salesman about the locks and he also new about it but never metioned it when i was looking at purchasing an rv. That really upsets me to know that anyone with a keystone has access to anyone elses keystone at anytime they want. does anyone else know about this isue with keystone.

fish4836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
It's true. The compartment locks are the same from RV to RV. You can have them rekeyed by a locksmith. We are looking at the same thing. I didn't like it either when I heard it.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have thought about rekeying or changing locks. Decided against it...a flat bladed screw driver will open any basement door very easily, lock or no lock.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
It's not only keystone,it's most RV's. The famous 751 keys.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I rekeyed all my compartments, sewer storage, water filler spot, then I gave all the old keys to all the gang bangers around my house to make them think the could get in.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
All the locks do is keep the doors from coming open when traveling or kids under 6 years old out. The doors can be opened as easily with a screwdriver as they can be with a key. The best way to secure the basement doors is get locks similar to the type used on trucks with utility beds.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We just recently bought 3 combination locks to replace the keyed locks on the storage doors. They were about $14.00 each at the local Montana dealer. Easy to install and you can set the combinations to anything you want (3 numbers).
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Unless you replace the pin inside of the door, changing the locks will only keep out the honest folks! But, even then, the ole screwdriver will pop it open just as easy!
Just remember, that is not just a Keystone thing, it's rv wide from one brand to another.
Ever think about someone making off with your propane tanks, no locks there but no one worries about that.
How about your electric plug, well, you get the idea, no sense worrying , if someone wants it, they'll take it anyhow! Just enjoy your Montana and keep your worries simple!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For about 15 bucks, we changed our locks to the cylinder type ones. We did it partly to make it harder for others (if they have the 751 keys), but also to keep from breaking the original keys when pushing the door in and turning the lock (or vice-versa). The cylinder type keys don't break. Oh, they're all keyed alike.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The CH751 lock is common across most brands of RVs, not just Keystone, or Montana. I believe it even extends beyond the RV industry to some tool boxes and other items.

Certainly, you can change the locks if you want to, but don't forget the doors themselves are not all that strong. If someone wants to break in, I would just as soon they used a key, rather than smash open a door. My impression is that campgrounds themselves are usually pretty safe, but I might have concerns about parking lots and storage yards.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

The doors can be opened as easily with a screwdriver as they can be with a key.
I agree, and have not bothered changing any locks.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The lock used on the Montana, and other RV's is the typical desk drawer lock, it just pivots a solid bar latch up or down. No key is needed. I two prong echo fastener folded in half with the points touching, and the end trimmed with scissors to flatten it will open that type of lock and it does not matter what the key number is. And, as stated, a screw driver will pop the pins real quick. Locks are to keep honest people out.

Now, think about your DOOR lock (pull handle). If you do not use the deadbolt, my door key will unlock your door. The dead bolt is keyed separately, even though you use the same key for the dead bolt and the pull handle.

Consider this scenario. I'm out for a few hours and cannot take the pooch with me. The electricity goes out. Another Montana owner, or RV'er walks around my Hanna and sees that I have an exhaust pipe coming out the side so figures I have a generator. He uses his key to open my front compartment and starts my generator. The air conditioner is already turned to on and it starts cooling the Hanna. Am I going to get mad at him. I don't think so. I know some people would, but you know, it's a lot easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission.

I'm not going to change my locks out. But then, I have a 70 pound Husky/Chow waiting on the inside once in a while.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
That was one of the first things I changed.
Camping world has a package of 3 or 4 barrel type locks and all keyed the same. The key is round and replaces the old 751's
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I never lock storage compartments except when we are moving. You can't stop a thief, you can only keep honest people honest. I can open any storage compartment in less than a minute, 6 inch screw driver is all it takes. And it cost a lot more to replace the doors. Have never had anything stolen, now on the other hand I have left many things when leaving RV parks. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is ok to change out all the compartment locks if it makes one feel better but the fact is that with a 100.00 lock I can still be in the compartment in a few seconds.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Agree with most, 751 only keep the doors locked when we travel, have never had anything stolen. Only thing ever stolen out of a campsite in over 30 years was some beer. We sat it down under the trailer, forgot it was there, some young teens in the state park had a good evening on us.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Locks are just like gated comunites,, they keep the honest out and the crooks are in in a second ,, if the lock was so good how could a lock smith get in ,, just like a car 30 seconds he is in ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think it's kinda handy... I lost my key one day and my wife was at work with the other one. I went over to the neighbor's (SOB) and asked, "Can I borrow your key?" Worked great. (True story).

I will tell you, though, that he was a little surprised...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
We had a Sunnybrook and that key fits our new Montana. I've never heard of an RV getting burglarized, has anybody?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ruth,

It doesn't happen often but, yes, we have had some members who were burglarized. Thankfully it is not very often.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote