Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Uh-oh

Well, I did it. I was turning the rig around and turned too sharp. That ugly sounding noise behind me was the corner of the Monty protruding through the rear window! Fortunately, it didn't do any damage to the Monty or the truck cab. I am away from home but found a glass co to replace it tomorrow for $168. Didn't seem too bad and I didn't want to turn it in on my insurance. All in all a pretty cheap leasson.
I knew that I needed to be careful with the shortbed, hope I learned!

mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Sorry for your mishap, that is why I went right away with a Pullrite automatic slider hitch, you cannot hit the cab with the Monty on a short box truck, bottom line the more you turn the further back it moves.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

Sorry for your mishap, that is why I went right away with a Pullrite automatic slider hitch, you cannot hit the cab with the Monty on a short box truck, bottom line the more you turn the further back it moves.
Amen and ditto to that. When was set up our deal we decided it was great insurance to buy the Pullrite Superglide hitch. At that time we had $500.00 deductible on both vehicle and Montana so one accident would have cost us what the extra price was for the Superglide. Plus, Dick is just miserable to live with when we makes a mistake.

David and Audra,

I thought with the new cap fronts this wasn't a possibility? I guess with the old cap like ours you would have hurt the truck and the Montana.

Sorry you had to learn that lesson. I know we've had our share of them ourselves.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mustang92

Well, I did it. I was turning the rig around and turned too sharp. That ugly sounding noise behind me was the corner of the Monty protruding through the rear window! Fortunately, it didn't do any damage to the Monty or the truck cab. I am away from home but found a glass co to replace it tomorrow for $168. Didn't seem too bad and I didn't want to turn it in on my insurance. All in all a pretty cheap leasson.
I knew that I needed to be careful with the shortbed, hope I learned!
Ouch! Glad to hear that it wasn't "that" bad.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sorry to hear that folks. I had to back in my present site and I bent it about 85 degrees and was about three inches from banging my truck. I have a manual slider hitch but didn't use it. I wanted to see how much clearance I had. Had one eye on DW backing me and the other on the cab. If I had been in a hurry or at night, I would have used the slider. I think the auto sliders are well worth the money and am considering one now......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The cost of a long bed is good insurance to prevent this, besides don't have to invest the extra bucks into a slider hitch. Must have give you an empty feeling in your stomach, know I would have felt bad had I hit my truck with the Montana.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 AM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
WElcome to the crowd that has done the same dumb stunt. Sorry to hear about your mishap. We did the same thing. When the rear glass shatters, its all over the place. We were camping in FL last winter when ours happened. and i had people standing and watching as I vacumed the grass for pieces of glass. They said they had never seen anyone vacume grass. We still have some glass on the larger gas thank we had installed. Theres no way to get to it short washing it off with a power washer.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
guess what, Paul joined this club the other day.--didn't think he needed to put the hitch in manuver mode--now he knows--somtimes you have to learn the hard way. Wonder how many others are in this club.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I did it too. Forgot to pul the slider. Dent in truck but nothing to the Montana. It will happen once.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote