Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
EE request, Converter voltage mod

Hey y'all,

Wondering if any Electrical Engineers want to look at modifying the factory installed Progressive Dynamics converter?

The output of the PD4500 is 14.6 when in Lithium mode. The MAX voltage of my LiFePo4 battery bank is 3.65 per cell or 14.6. I want to avoid hitting the upper limit of the cell protections.

Is there anything I can do/install/mod to lower the factories voltage output to 14.0?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I thought batteries had to charge over designed operating voltage - not sure.

But did glance at some of the specs for LifeP04 : 【100% Protection & Delivery】Ampere Time LiFePO4 battery has built-in BMS to protect it from overcharge, over-discharge, overcurrent, and short circuit with excellent self-discharge rate.

Interested in discussion to learn more.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There may be trim pots in the circuits that can adjust the output voltage limits. But I doubt any EE would want to go in and start modifying any actual circuits. First off it would require detailed schematics and design parameters to study before any such attempt. If they could obtain tuning and set up instructions, then maybe adjust the output via the trim pots ????
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
Wish adding a simple “voltage regulator” would work in this situation. A buck converter will do what I want but can’t find any to handle the 50-75 amp output.

I also have a multiplus, the intent is to have a backup charger.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Charging a lipo battery charger has always been problematic at best. Expecially the earlier ones. They do not tolerate being discharged deeply.
Yes some batteries do have built-in protections. But no battery charger will output that current. Generally, batteries are charged at a 1/10 C rate. There are higher rate chargers but protections must be maintained.

For example a battery with a capacity of 1000 amp hours will only be charged at 10 amps safely no matter the composition of the battery. High rate charging circuits must take into account the delta Voltage vs current as well as the temperature of the battery and the battery condition. Which can deteriorate to the point, the charger must fault out before frying the few remaining good cells and possibly causing an explosive battery.

Way to many failures on this end with LIPO batteries. I do like their high discharge rate. But you have to know when to stop otherwise the battery will be damaged by over discharging it. Then try to charge it and it swells and becomes junk in one cycle.

Stick with other technology unless you have an absolute need for LIPO.