Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Keep or replace ATS PD52

I have a 2017 3790rd that I am about to install a generator in. Now personally I never trusted the ATS in my previous camper, I have heard of them failing and ruining stuff, so I always unhooked shore power before starting the generator.

I was in the process of buying a EMS-PT50X to protect the shore power. Then I got to thinking should I replace the PD52 with something that has protection built it?

The PD52 in is now does make a little humming noise that is kind of annoying, and based on some searching I have done on here it is mounted side ways and it is not supposed to be, not sure how bad that is for it.

Mopar_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Transfer switches make use of single pole double throw contactor(s), which are magnetically activated. I'm not sure, but my guess is that the recommendation to mount in a particular orientation, is to minimize the buzzing vibration the spring loaded contact bar. In air conditioning equipment, the contactor is mounted on a vertical surface with the power in/out terminals located on the upper and lower part. Try applying gentle pressure on the spring bar while you hear the noise to see if that eliminates the noise you hear. If you are not fully aware of what areas of the contactor are safe to touch while energized, use a non conductive material to apply pressure rather than your finger.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
Just got my 2021 3121 RL back from dealer service. Replaced my ATS pd 52 warranty work with a southwire surge guard 41261. Happy it has surge protection. Just hope it lasts longer than the pd52. Time will tell. Glad it was warranty at least. Saved me 300 bucks purchase price anyway.
Katherine1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
My PD52 ATS is still working fine. Not sure how it is supposed to be mounted, but here is a photo (cover off). Mine also buzzed, I ended up stuffing a few pieces of foam around the outside of it; don't hear it anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Transfer Sw 5 -1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	681.0 KB
ID:	10350  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We just had our unit worked on at rally because of some ongoing issues that the Super Solar had in most units. In the Super Solar, the sole purpose of the PD52 was surge protection. It already had the Magnum Hybrid inverter, Charger, transfer switch. I was told all of the PD52’s are failing. For us, I didn’t need the transfer switch function, just the surge protection. I opted (on my dime) to add the Hughes Watchdog EMS instead of adding the Southwire. The nice feature for me is I am using the Bluetooth to monitor power. That probably isn’t an option for some, but it is a great path for Super Solar owners. If you need to replace a PD52, another option would be a straightforward transfer switch and a hardwired Watchdog. As bright as the Watchdog is (bright white light when power is good, red when there is an issue) makes a target for theft. Plus, if you get a surge on the Southwire, you get to replace the whole unit. The Watchdog you can replace the whole surge component for about $40. Just an option.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote