Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
transfer switch and shunt?

I built 280ah Lifepo4 battery with 200 amp BMS. I was running a cord out to shore power plug to plug into the rig. then unplugging, plugging in to generator when we needed was ok but I know there is a better way. I didn't want to spend the time or money on a rig we were going to get rid of. After the Montana rally we decided to keep this coach and make the necessary changes.
Our needs are few we harvest host about 25 time a year that is the only time we would not be on shore power.

I want to put a plug in the front to hook up generator then be able to use shore power if convenient.

my questions?

which transfer switch is "best" reading some threads sounds like there were good ones that have gone down hill. possibly the quietest?

is there a transfer switch that will let me wire the plug into for generator and be able to wire my inverter into it? basically 3 input and one output?

With the BMS do I need a shunt or Fuse isn't that one of the purposes of the BMS?

we don't have solar or residential refer. not really interested in either.

After the Montana rally I can never see purchasing another brand this is why we decided to stay with ours.

I will be asking a lot of questions on this project as I move forward

thank you

Old 09-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
I built 280ah Lifepo4 battery with 200 amp BMS. I was running a cord out to shore power plug to plug into the rig. then unplugging, plugging in to generator when we needed was ok but I know there is a better way. I didn't want to spend the time or money on a rig we were going to get rid of. After the Montana rally we decided to keep this coach and make the necessary changes.
Our needs are few we harvest host about 25 time a year that is the only time we would not be on shore power.

I want to put a plug in the front to hook up generator then be able to use shore power if convenient.

my questions?

which transfer switch is "best" reading some threads sounds like there were good ones that have gone down hill. possibly the quietest?

is there a transfer switch that will let me wire the plug into for generator and be able to wire my inverter into it? basically 3 input and one output?

With the BMS do I need a shunt or Fuse isn't that one of the purposes of the BMS?

we don't have solar or residential refer. not really interested in either.

After the Montana rally I can never see purchasing another brand this is why we decided to stay with ours.

I will be asking a lot of questions on this project as I move forward

thank you
From the nature of your questions, I would advise you find a solar dealer to assist you in designing your system even if it doesn't include solar panels. You will save money and possible injury.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote