Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
refrigerator

2007 dometic refrigator with fan is it 12 volts and how often should it run. im not sure I have ever heard it run. It looks to wired to a pressure switch. refer woks fine , would think it would work better if it run cooler . any one know thank you Richard

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
if it is like mine in my big sky and is in the slideout... runs when temperature is high...mine runs more in the summer then winter.. just a thought
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The controller board runs on 12v, so you always need to have 12v available in some way.

Here is some web information on how RV refrigerators work quite differently from house refrigerators and explains why there is no noise.

**********Inserted text***********
"Your RV style refrigerator does not operate the same way as the fridge in your home. To begin with these appliances often operate on propane (LP gas) and some form of electricity (either 120V or 12V or both depending on the model and size your fridge). These fridges contain ammonia based cooling units and are called “absorption style” refrigerators. This means that unlike your house refrigerator, they pull warm air out of the fridge box, instead of pumping cold air in. Because of their unique operating style there are special concerns and maintenance requirements for these types of refrigerators.

Unlike your house fridge, your RV style refrigerator will not make any noise on start-up. This is not a cause for concern. RV style fridges are virtually silent when operating correctly. Also, your RV fridge will not begin to show signs of cooling immediately, it may take your fridge up to 12 hours to fully cool (and it is recommended that you wait the full 12 hours before adding any food). The most common mistake made by campers anxious that their fridge is not operating correctly is to repeatedly check it. Absorption style refrigerators are particularly sensitive to temperature changes. By opening your refrigerator door you may actually be slowing down the cooling process."
*********end inserted text**********

Knowing that, If you want to know the temperature of the fridge without opening the door you can purchase a refrigerator thermometer that attaches to an outside wall, cabinet or door and the probe goes inside the fridge near the fins to monitor the temp. I had one on an old rig, but got tired of replacing the batteries for it. For our Monty we just make sure the frozen stuff stays frozen and the milk is cold.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
sq320ret@yahoo.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #27116
We have a 293 Montana and the four door refrigerator works on propane and not on 110 electric. Looking for suggestions related to this kind of problem.
sq320ret@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The brand of Fridge and model number is needed to offer further TS info... If it is not working on 120 volt AC you still need 12 volts DC to the eye brow and control module for it to work on 120 volts...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
sq320ret@yahoo.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #27116
Rm1350slmx is the model number manufactured 2013
Old 09-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #7
sq320ret@yahoo.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #27116
Believe it is Dometic.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If it is working on propane you obviously have 12 volts. I'd check the 110vac outlet it is plugged in to. If you have voltage there my second guess would be the 110vac heater element. Check it with an OHM meter.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Check the glass fuse on the control module box outside accessed via lower fridge vent.. There are two fuses...
One is an ATC for 12 volts
Other is glass fuse for 120 volts AC
Verify 120 volts present at plug in receptacle for fridge
Once 120 volts is present if the dual heaters arent opened up it should begin to cool

If not then disconnect wires to heating elements and ohm them out... The info you need for TS is found in this link to the service manual for the RM1350 fridge

https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Serv...,%20RM1350.pdf
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
If it is working on propane you obviously have 12 volts. I'd check the 110vac outlet it is plugged in to. If you have voltage there my second guess would be the 110vac heater element. Check it with an OHM meter.
My electric element quit working on trip we're currently on. Ran fine on propane. Stopped at Campground over night. When I woke up, refrig was 55 degrees, it was fine the day before. Ran it on propane, gor refrig down to a safe 37 degrees. Checked for 110 on the board and resistance of the heating element. Had 110 but element was open.

Ordered new element on Amazon, delivered to Campground. Took 15 minutes to replace. All is good now!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #11
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
Late update
The issue with the fridge was cleared up
That being said I had returned to camping world Syracuse for the-repair. They almost fixed it
As a result of their fix I lost power to the two passenger side slides. They cut the feed to the fridge off the breaker panel ran a new piece of romex directly from the panel to the fridge. I’m thinking it’s ok now but, like I said only to find out no power to the slides.
I then proceeded to trouble shoot myself.
I saw what they did, rewired to shore power/inverter switch from the inverter and all was well.
Another job week done at camping world

Thanks for all the comments. I do really appreciate it
Bob
Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote