Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #21
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I had similar incident, it was hit and run. New end cap - $8,000 more or less. 2018 305RL. Keystone may or may not have an end cap for your unit's model year.

StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #22
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstarr View Post
Hi I was just wondering for the gentleman who had $14000 repair where does one go to get your RV repaired like that.
I live just outside of Portland, OR...There is a RV body shop here in town and they do good work....Had mine in once for when I blew a tire and busted out the side slide. And another time for a broken frame on the 5th overhang.
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #23
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
Pulling out at a truck stop in Mass and had thought I had it cleared. I pulled up to the sidewalk and even rode the sidewalk, well, I guess not far enough. Any ideas on what we're looking at? out of pocket or file a claim with the insurance?

not sure why the pic is uploading sideways, how can I fix that?

normal view:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15M7...ew?usp=sharing
I did something similar pulling in to my storage lot. Clipped a post. They had to replace the rear cap and fix damage on the side. Was over $12K. Its definitely an insurance claim. Will take months to get it fixed as dealers are jammed and parts in short supply. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has done this but sorry to hear it happened to you. I check every turn these days and if any doubt I turn on the 4 ways and get out and check, even if there is traffic behind me. Wont take but a couple seconds and they can wait till I get around the corner sefely.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #24
Kenneth
Established Member

M.O.C. #24041
Tail swing got ours

Long story made short. I pulled one third of the rear cap off our camper. And asked where to get it repaired. Affinity in Indiana was the place to go to have it repaired. Of course we live hundreds of miles from there. So we sent them pictures. They asked us to bring it to them for a more detailed inspection.
We also turned it into insurance and they came up to the conclusion it was totaled. Now don’t be alarmed it was much worse than yours. See attached photo. All I can say is if you live close to Affinity that’s where I would take your camper.
PS: We got a new Montana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30A4DFC9-1418-4E4D-86DA-609B410B1DE7.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	10030   Click image for larger version

Name:	83B33DC9-0DE0-46AA-B874-9558DC6E0090.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	10031  
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #25
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
[Update], so, we filed a claim with the insurance company last week and today we got a copy of the estimate: The RV Dealer (where we bought it as well) gave an estimate of 1800 bucks, and not replacing the rear wall/cap. Now, to us it sounds like a half ass job about to happen, but the rear cap/wall didn't come full off but did bend up a tad, so, does the 1800 sound right or does it sound like a job that's going to get done after a few beers and on a weekend in between jobs? For that, I wouldn't have filed a claim
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #26
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Long story made short. I pulled one third of the rear cap off our camper. And asked where to get it repaired. Affinity in Indiana was the place to go to have it repaired. Of course we live hundreds of miles from there. So we sent them pictures. They asked us to bring it to them for a more detailed inspection.
We also turned it into insurance and they came up to the conclusion it was totaled. Now don’t be alarmed it was much worse than yours. See attached photo. All I can say is if you live close to Affinity that’s where I would take your camper.
PS: We got a new Montana
WOW!! I live in CT, though a lot of folks are saying go to Affinity for the repair. so it's something we're currently considering.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #27
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Your pic (below) looks like the cap would be cracked. $1800 sounds cheap to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-07_10-37-54.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	10140  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #28
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Your pic (below) looks like the cap would be cracked. $1800 sounds cheap to me.
That's not my pic, that's another members. Mine is in the first post.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #29
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
That's not my pic, that's another members. Mine is in the first post.
Hard to tell if that rear cap is damaged other than the rubber moldings. Does sound low on repair price bu maybe you got lucky! I would inspect it again along with a service manager or repair tech and ask questions until your satisfied with the estimate. If not you can take it somewhere for a second opinion.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #30
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
For $1,800.00, if you can financially afford it, it might be better to pay out of pocket and not file the claim.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #31
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
[Update], so, we filed a claim with the insurance company last week and today we got a copy of the estimate: The RV Dealer (where we bought it as well) gave an estimate of 1800 bucks, and not replacing the rear wall/cap. Now, to us it sounds like a half ass job about to happen, but the rear cap/wall didn't come full off but did bend up a tad, so, does the 1800 sound right or does it sound like a job that's going to get done after a few beers and on a weekend in between jobs? For that, I wouldn't have filed a claim
NO way can it be fixed for $1,800. That will not even cover the labour to remove the cap carefully to see what the damage is and to make any structural repairs before addressing the cosmetic issues. I would guess close to $8,000 at the low end if no structural damage, otherwise it starts at $15,000 and goes up. Generally the insurance company will write it off at that point. I would have got an estimate first to check the creds before talking to the insurance company. If possible, get another couple estimates and tell the insurance company that first one was from somebody who has no clue. Good luck.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #32
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That sounds low, especially for an insurance covered repair. They typically list anything and everything that may need any work at all on the estimate to make sure the customer doesn’t come back complaining about something they missed. And since insurance is covering the repair the customer normally would not complain about the price.

But at the same time you would not expect a dealer service department to shortchange a repair. Maybe a fly by night independent. Still, with labor rates probably in the $100/hr range, I would be a little concerned. They would have to convince me they knew what they were doing.

The picture shows us the separation but not the extent of damage to the cap.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote