Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
Flags being flagged

I recently stayed at a national brand campground. At check-in, we were advised that flags may be flown but only to the height of our RV and only if it is the US flag. While this posed no inconvenience to myself, I would imagine that it does to others. I have often seen a wide range of high flying flags, pennants and wind socks etc , some national, regional, collegiate, political or just decorative, at many different types of campground. I wondered how widespread these restrictions were, and how people feel about that.
BritBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Martyn,

I have not seen a similar restriction at any place we have stayed. It doesn't seem widespread nor would it be a showstopper for me.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Haven’t seen that but can understand it due to the extreme political division now. Proactive to prevent possible confrontations. But it does impose on those who like to fly non controversial flags.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Haven’t seen that but can understand it due to the extreme political division now. Proactive to prevent possible confrontations. But it does impose on those who like to fly non controversial flags.
I understand the issue regarding prevention of confrontations but even Old Glory has been called out as a controversial flag. We are headed in a bad direction.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Well I can count that RV resort out of my vacation spots. What complete nonsense.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Any chance they have some low overhead power lines at that Campground?
Could be dangerous if they left with the pole up and it hooked a power line.
Is this possible?
Sure, how many stories have you heard of people leaving with awning still out?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Actually, it's a good thing in my opinion. I see no problem with restricting flags. As stated above, there are so many controversial issues going on right now, it's better to have nothing and keep the playing field level and personal views just that .... personal, instead of forcing my views on them when they are not welcome.

I say this from experience. A bit about my "previous life".... I was a minister in a main-stream conservative church denomination. It was my goal and objective to "save the world form it's sin!" (Such disillusionment from college). And it seemed, the louder I blew the trumpet, the faster people ran. After a while, (actually after years and years) ... I realized the world DID NOT want to be saved! All I was doing was making people mad and turning them off even more than they were.

Well, like I said, that was my "former life." I learned working on computer code was a lot more forgiving than most people. At least if computer code doesn't like what you are doing, you know it immediately. You don't have to wait for the knife to get stuck in your back to find you how much you ticked people off in your quest.

So the lesson was learned, and now I understand. Not everyone appreciates, nor do they want someone else's different opinion, or life style, crammed down their throats. So, yes, it's best to keep some things "personal" and quiet. And if asked privately, then explain your position. But to shove some things into people faces doesn't make friendship happen at all. All it does is force more anger and hatred.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #8
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
The park I was at in So Cal had a height restriction the same, no restriction on type of flag.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #9
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
The park I was at in So Cal had a height restriction the same, no restriction on type of flag.
California is OFF my list anyway ...
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
I am not sure that identifying a specific campground or chain would really add to the conversation. I possibly would be more informed had I asked for the rational but I suspect that the answer may have been non committal. My guess is that the excesses of a few (read distasteful/obscene flags), generated a hostile or intimidating environment that the campground management felt they should act upon. Campgrounds, after all, are usually expected to be a family friendly environment.
BritBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #11
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBox View Post
I am not sure that identifying a specific campground or chain would really add to the conversation. I possibly would be more informed had I asked for the rational but I suspect that the answer may have been non committal. My guess is that the excesses of a few (read distasteful/obscene flags), generated a hostile or intimidating environment that the campground management felt they should act upon. Campgrounds, after all, are usually expected to be a family friendly environment.
Each has their opinion - but I now review the fine print BEFORE booking a site. Besides rates zooming up, other restrictions are ALL in favor of the camp ground not their customers. Some say NO REFUNDS for any reason ... One wanted a $40 dollar deposit per pet, NON-refundable ...

I will not visit their parks and do tell the parks why I won't book with them.

It's getting to the point you need a lawyer to review the fine print, so much for stress relief.

I have a local campground, name with held until I talk with them. They have added three pages that require over a dozen initials and two signatures.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #12
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Each has their opinion - but I now review the fine print BEFORE booking a site. Besides rates zooming up, other restrictions are ALL in favor of the camp ground not their customers. Some say NO REFUNDS for any reason ... One wanted a $40 dollar deposit per pet, NON-refundable ...

I will not visit their parks and do tell the parks why I won't book with them.

It's getting to the point you need a lawyer to review the fine print, so much for stress relief.

I have a local campground, name with held until I talk with them. They have added three pages that require over a dozen initials and two signatures.
I also won't do business with a dealer that has "World" in their name unless totally unavoidable. IMHO and right
Old 08-26-2021, 04:48 PM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Flags.

This is not unusual, it will get much worse, America is divided more so than anytime in history.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #14
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I would have asked them why they had that rule.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #15
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Hopefully I don’t ruffle any feathers but I feel you should be able to fly your flags, windsocks etc so long as they are not obscene. Yes America is quite divided but my humble thoughts are if you have a windsock or flag etc that I don’t agree with that is your business and I probably won’t stop and chat if I see you outside. If it is something that I agree with I probably will stop and chat. If you have nothing I will probably stop and say hi. Even if I disagree with your ideology it is your right to think that way and I for one won’t stop you. People need to respect other opinions even if you don’t agree with them.
Sorry I will now get of my soapbox.

Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 08-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #16
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
I recently stayed at a national brand campground. At check-in, we were advised that flags may be flow but only to the height of our RV and only if it is the US flag. While this posed no inconvenience to myself, I would imagine that it does to others. I have often seen a wide range of high flying flags, pennants and wind socks etc , some national, regional, collegiate, political or just decorative, at many different types of campground. I wondered how widespread these restrictions were, and how people feel about that.
What campground/chain?
Old 08-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #17
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Parked in Myrtle Beach Travel Park. Looking out the window I see plenty of flags.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #18
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
I recently stayed at a national brand campground. At check-in, we were advised that flags may be flow but only to the height of our RV and only if it is the US flag. While this posed no inconvenience to myself, I would imagine that it does to others. I have often seen a wide range of high flying flags, pennants and wind socks etc , some national, regional, collegiate, political or just decorative, at many different types of campground. I wondered how widespread these restrictions were, and how people feel about that.
I'm totally fine with branch of military, college, sports flags and decorative wind socks. I'd rather not see anything else.

We had to leave a campground early just this last winter because a group of four or five ORVer's were parading up and down the rows flying political flags which terrified our cat in her outdoor enclosure.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Let me say, if any RV park want allow me to fly the American Flag, I will not, repeat will not stay in that RV park. Thousands upon thousands gave their lives to keep that flag flying. Many of us served in the Military, I served 26+ years after being drafted. I will not support any group who will not support and respect the American Flag. PERIOD.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
mjlbj01

M.O.C. #24909
Flags

I can understand political flags maybe…but we proudly fly the American Flag and our state flag for Texas. Not sure I would want to stay at that campground .
mjlbj01 is offline   Reply With Quote