Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
Gunner9041

M.O.C. #30572
Pam and Brett

Just purchased 20223791RD. Time still to back out lol. Curious what actual owners have to say about the RV?

Gunner9041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! May your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #4
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Congratulations wishing you many great trips
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Congrats on the new rig
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Congrats on your new Montana and welcome to the forums.

What to expect? Well, not to bust your bubble, but you can expect the first year of ownership to be full of frustrations. You'll discover lots of shoddy work done when assembling your Montana and be tempted to either burn the camper to the ground or seek legal action against the entire RV industry. (neither is a good solution, but you'll feel that way, only too fast).

So, just a heads up. You will experience deficiencies in your camper build that were never seen during your dealership PDI. It does take a year to flush them all out. Eventually everything does get fixed. And then everything is OK.

Expect it to happen, and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't. If it doesn't, you'll be the first in a long-long time that actually bought a "perfect" camper.

Also remember, the RV industry is nothing like the automobile industry. They cannot be compared. Expect a long delay for any warranty work (and you will have some). Expect your carpentry skills, plumbing skills, and electric skills to improve greatly over the next year, because you'll find it much easier, quicker and less frustrating to fix things yourself, rather than waiting for shoddy repair work that will only replace exactly the same problem, rather than actually fixing anything. Expect your mechanical skills to increase.

I'm not presenting doom and gloom. You asked, what to expect? Well ....... Sorry, But the good thing is, once all the problems get fixed, you'll finally have a solid, well functioning camper. It just takes a while to get it there.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Congratulations and I hope it gives you many trouble free years of service. Just do a thorough inspection before taking possession of it.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:45 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Congrats, Gunner and welcome to the forum. We have a 2019 3791RD and we love our rig. We've had our share of problems, including a side wall crack that took 2 repairs so far to get fixed. But all in all, we still love it. As Dutchmen said, you will need to be patient for the first year or two until you get all the kinks worked out, but you have a great floor plan and as long as there are not major structural issues with the frame, everything can be repaired. Stay diligent and keep an eye out for common problems. That's where this forum is really great. Many of our issues I would never have looked for, and when they did happen, I felt like I already knew what it was how to fix it based on posts here. Like the anti siphon valve leaking under the bathroom sink, or the ice maker not working because there are 2 shut off valves, one hidden behind the cabinet next to the fridge. And on and on. If you run into a problem, most likely someone here has had that same problem and can give you some sage advice.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:02 AM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! As has been stated, expect the worst, be nicely surprised when/if it doesn’t happen. That was our experience…it can happen. We had a few initial warranty issues but nothing big. I’m also pretty handy and have fixed several things myself, which is fine since I enjoy the project as long as parts are available. There seems to be always be something to fix but that’s just part of owning an RV.

In my way of thinking, as long as the build quality of the rig is sound then the rest is just components not actually built by the OEM…components that are not always (rarely…OK never) top grade and can be prone to failure. So far I’ve had to replace our propane regulator, power supply, and entertainment system. It all works and we thoroughly enjoy camping in our Montana.

Take your time through the PDI…don’t let the dealer rush you. Look at, around, under, over everything. Make sure you know how to operate every component and make sure it works correctly. Some things won’t show up until you use your rig but a good PDI will mitigate some future headaches. Make sure all items you find during the PDI are addressed before you sign and take it away.

All in all the RV life can be very satisfying so be vigilant, get things fixed, move on and enjoy the travels. Good luck
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:18 AM   #10
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Congratulations on your new Monty and welcome to the club.

I would offer the same advice as you have already received, do a thorough inspection pre delivery. After you take delivery operate every system numerous times, flush out all the issues you can while under warranty. I believe people buying high end RVs look for similar amenities we have in our homes, and the RV manufacturers are trying hard to deliver them. The catch is that RV manufacturers have to be cost and weight conscious with their selections. Size does matter, they have to be able to get appliances and furnishings through the relatively small door and the number of manufacturers that make RV components is extremely limited. The appliances and furnishings also have to be made to survive the shaking and beating during travel that their residential counterparts aren't subject to.

The thing I would absolutely put my foot down on is tires. If I ever buy another one, I will refuse to take delivery if it has Chinese tires. There are numerous articles on this forum and across the web about "China bombs", do some research. I had 3 blowouts within a 150 mile stretch of highway the second year I owned mine. It isn't hard to do the math on that one since it only comes with 1 spare. I ended up buying Goodyear Endurance, many folks are happy with Sailun brand, basically anything that isn't Chinese made. On that note, a good TPMS system for your RV should be one of the first mods you install. There are a few good ones on the market and it's a very simple install.

Good luck and happy travels.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #11
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
The 3791 was your second Montana. We are well pleased pleased with it.
As for warranty work I fix anything I can myself. We had problems with vibrations on our a/c and we were hosting at the state park in Myrtle Beach. When to Campers Inn and they came out to the campsite and order the parts then replaced them at the campsite.
Good Service.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Congrats and welcome.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #13
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

What to expect? Well, not to bust your bubble, but you can expect the first year of ownership to be full of frustrations. You'll discover lots of shoddy work done when assembling your Montana and be tempted to either burn the camper to the ground or seek legal action against the entire RV industry. (neither is a good solution, but you'll feel that way, only too fast).

So, just a heads up. You will experience deficiencies in your camper build that were never seen during your dealership PDI. It does take a year to flush them all out. Eventually everything does get fixed. And then everything is OK.

Expect it to happen, and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't. If it doesn't, you'll be the first in a long-long time that actually bought a "perfect" camper.

Also remember, the RV industry is nothing like the automobile industry. They cannot be compared. Expect a long delay for any warranty work (and you will have some). Expect your carpentry skills, plumbing skills, and electric skills to improve greatly over the next year, because you'll find it much easier, quicker and less frustrating to fix things yourself, rather than waiting for shoddy repair work that will only replace exactly the same problem, rather than actually fixing anything. Expect your mechanical skills to increase.

I'm not presenting doom and gloom. You asked, what to expect? Well ....... Sorry, But the good thing is, once all the problems get fixed, you'll finally have a solid, well functioning camper. It just takes a while to get it there.
^^^^^^^^^^Exactly!!!^^^^^^^^^^^
The last 2 of three fivers we bought, all three, two years ago, have been used. Did a thorough PDI on each one and the 2 used Montanas fared better than the brand new Mobile Suites. Go figure….

Regardless, welcome to the forum and good luck and best wishes in your travels.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #14
MBitner

M.O.C. #20912
We purchased our new 3721RL in February '17. We live in ours fulltime. So pleased with our Monty, only issue we've had is our Samsung refrigerator. (Who hasn't) Our coach has been great. Take of ur due diligence, the rewards will follow. ( ie. Bearings, grease, tires, etc.)
MBitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:58 PM   #15
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Congrats !!!

In addition to what everyone has already said, I would suggest the following.

During your inspection, Turn on your AC. FULL BLAST. Now, go sit down in your Living Room area, sit in the recliners, sit on the sofa. Go into the bathroom. Can you feel strong cold air OR do you have to search for trickles of air.
Go into your bedroom, lay down, can you feel the air OR do you have to roll around trying to find it?

You should NOT have to search for air coming out of any vent. If you do find yourself moving around, searching for air, there is a problem, THEY must go UP inside the vent area and pull away the muck.

Do not allow them to pull out their thermostat and say "Oh everything is working just fine it's working as expected.
NO IT IS NOT FINE.

There is blockage of material preventing proper air flow. Your hair should move standing under the vents.
*we learned this the hard way*
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:30 PM   #16
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Welcome to the forum your going to love it
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:45 AM   #17
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

I've read this all before. But I will say that was the funniest version of them yet! Well done. That should be submitted to Reader's Digest!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:38 PM   #18
Kenneth
Established Member

M.O.C. #24041
Ken & Beth

Congratulations on your new Montana. Like some others have posted. You will have some hiccups along the way. Just know that. Some you might be able to repair yourself and some maybe not. We like love the floor plan. We put three kayaks in the garage along with four chairs. All fit nicely. Again enjoy your Montana.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #19
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
After reading Dutchman's factual description of my life I am going to sit down and do another thing I got good at...enjoy the weather & a cocktail while admiring my traveling earthquake parked next to me...
Old 03-15-2022, 09:48 PM   #20
Gunner9041

M.O.C. #30572
Thank you

Thank you everyone on all the thoughts on owning a Montana 3791rd. We did purchase the unit so hopefully it all goes well! It’s a 2022 unit!

Love to see how everyone has decorated inside of their units if willing to share 😊
Gunner9041 is offline   Reply With Quote