Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Full Body Paint

We really loved the Legacy package and the full body paint was beautiful but a little out of our price range. That brought a question to mind, is the quality of the painting process the same on all Monty’s? With the difference being non-FBP has decals and FBP does not. I understand over the years the decals can fade, but hopefully the paint, clear coat and quality process is identical…….
Thanks

Tree Top Turkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:05 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've had 1 pop-up, 3 travel trailers, and now a fifth wheel. All my previous campers (aluminum sided and fiberglass sided) had paint that had problems and decals that pealed.

My current Montana High Country, now going on 4 years, has had no problems with the paint or graphics. Why?

Well, first ... we had Resist All applied to the body and that has kept the shine, just like new (when it's washed). I've not put any wax on it at all, ever. It's still shiny and, other than the scratches I put on myself, still looks new.

Second, the graphics are not pealing, fading, or anything? Why? because there has never been wax applied on them. My previous campers, I waxed a lot, and it did not take time for the wax to start causing the graphics to peal, crack, crumble, fade, and start flaking off.

My suggestion? Pay the price for the Resist All and you'll never have to wax. I wash with a mild Dawn Dishwashing liquid solution and remove the tar spots with WD-40 and a soft cloth. Camper is still as shiny as the day we brought it home (except for the scratches I did myself).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #3
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Thanks
I will look Resist All up. I am not familiar.
Tree Top Turkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:32 PM   #4
DTH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26146
There is a really good you tube that covers the differences while in the manufacturing plant and then as the units go to the paint plant. You can search
“ home with the Hoopers and find their you tube channel. Then select the episode titled “Keystone RV production line & paint plant”. This offers a clear picture of how both are finished.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:40 PM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I've had 1 pop-up, 3 travel trailers, and now a fifth wheel. All my previous campers (aluminum sided and fiberglass sided) had paint that had problems and decals that pealed.

My current Montana High Country, now going on 4 years, has had no problems with the paint or graphics. Why?

Well, first ... we had Resist All applied to the body and that has kept the shine, just like new (when it's washed). I've not put any wax on it at all, ever. It's still shiny and, other than the scratches I put on myself, still looks new.

Second, the graphics are not pealing, fading, or anything? Why? because there has never been wax applied on them. My previous campers, I waxed a lot, and it did not take time for the wax to start causing the graphics to peal, crack, crumble, fade, and start flaking off.

My suggestion? Pay the price for the Resist All and you'll never have to wax. I wash with a mild Dawn Dishwashing liquid solution and remove the tar spots with WD-40 and a soft cloth. Camper is still as shiny as the day we brought it home (except for the scratches I did myself).

Was the Resist a dealer option?
Foldbak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
to me, just wash and wax your rv and it will last. I read the reviews on resist and it is just another sealer out there...good or bad.

as for paint, it is an expensive investment without any return.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #7
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
I had a Grand Design for 4 years, Gelcoat was perfect after 4 years. I never used a wax that contained Petroleum Distillates. Petroleum will make the decals crack and shrink. I use 303 on roof and decals. Our new Montana has FBP which I love.
I might apply ceramic coating myself after a year.
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #8
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
to me, just wash and wax your rv and it will last. I read the reviews on resist and it is just another sealer out there...good or bad.

We custom ordered our class C from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, Iowa and they said the exact same thing. Told us to save our money.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Resist all was a dealer option. And it's more than just a sealer, it actually bonds, filling in pours and fine cracks, sealing with a hard coat.

We had it on our latest pick-up truck too, a Chevy Colorado (4 door short bed), and it's never had wax in 4 years and been through the car wash at least a hundred times a years (we have an unlimited wash plan). And when that truck is clean, it still looks shinny as a brand new one, 4 years old now. That truck has never had wax either.

I've read the negative reviews about ResistAll, and I simply do not understand them. The biggest complaint is when someone wants to remove it. Why anyone would want to remove it is beyond me. I also think people think they can "improve" the shine even better by putting wax on top top of the applied ResistAll and wax just makes things awful.

And then, there are those people who would even complain if they won the Lottery! Some people just have a negative approach to everything and if their lives are miserable, they are going to make everyone else's life miserable too. These are the complaints I've read about.

If you never used it and experienced it yourself, you'll never know.

Still, if you get the full body paint, get the ResistAll too. You will never have to wax again.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #10
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post

I have to disagree with this statement. To each their own though. I suggest doing your own research not online and go walk through the used lots at dealers looking at the manufacture dates of RVs with and without paint. Then you decide what holds up better, paint or bare fiberglass.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #11
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
No return on full body paint? I don’t know, what about that they are gorgeous? Isn’t that worth something? I wouldn’t order a legacy because of InCommand, but I’d order body paint (and disk brakes) as stand alone options in a heartbeat. Can’t take it with you. Just my opinion.
MandK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #12
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Top Turkeys View Post
We really loved the Legacy package and the full body paint was beautiful but a little out of our price range. That brought a question to mind, is the quality of the painting process the same on all Monty’s? With the difference being non-FBP has decals and FBP does not. I understand over the years the decals can fade, but hopefully the paint, clear coat and quality process is identical…….
Thanks
We had a ceramic coating put on ours, when we were in AZ. Decals and gel coat were protected and never faded even in the AZ sun
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have Full Body Paint on our unit that will be 7 years old next month. Yes it's got some nicks and scratches but after 50K miles of travel that's to be expected, but other than that it still looks like new. Several Snow Bird neighbors have 4 year old units, one a Montana the other an Alpine, both are fading and won't even take wax.
So yes the FBP was expensive, but well worth it to us.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #14
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I think the "not worth it" comes if you sell your rig. From what Lichtsinn told me it adds nothing to price as most people looking at used rigs give it the "looks nice but I'm not paying more for it" attitude.

I know the couple we sold our Class C to didn't ask at all if it was decals or paint. It was not full body paint and I honestly don't think he would have paid more for it.

I think it was beautiful rig without it.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #15
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We have Full Body Paint on our unit that will be 7 years old next month. Yes it's got some nicks and scratches but after 50K miles of travel that's to be expected, but other than that it still looks like new. Several Snow Bird neighbors have 4 year old units, one a Montana the other an Alpine, both are fading and won't even take wax.
So yes the FBP was expensive, but well worth it to us.
That's us too but only about 33,000 miles. We've stuffed it in some very nasty spots. Scars down sides, torn the roof, bent a leveling jack and hit the underside with the bed rails of the truck (with 9" of clearance) getting into nasty "off camber" spots more times than I can remember. Lots of places we went required 4x4 that a car couldn't go.

When I look it over now it reminds me of this. But we've made some wonderful memories and have got some great stories to tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5cdda6efbb5c15d890d90a35b13adc4b.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	11238  
Old 02-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
My next rig......whenever that will happen, I will bite the bullet and get the full body paint. I just drool in awe at how gorgeous rigs are that have it.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #17
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We have the painted end caps and the high gloss sides that came with the legacy. They both are doing fine but in fairness it lives indoors except when traveling. The painted caps are not automotive quality as touted in brochures. All rv exteriors need routine protection applied especially with the non high gloss fiberglass. A few years in the sun with those and you can actually see fiberglass fibers in the finish.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #18
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
My next rig......whenever that will happen, I will bite the bullet and get the full body paint. I just drool in awe at how gorgeous rigs are that have it.
The Hoopers got full body paint. It is stunning!

In my opinion the work involved really does justify the price:

https://youtu.be/o0W2PeLlUBY?t=1724
Old 02-07-2022, 10:24 AM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Have yours painted now
Old 02-14-2022, 06:11 AM   #20
kully542
Established Member

M.O.C. #30379
we orderd the shadow color.. i thought both ways and i talked with the decal people ..they only give u decals they dont pay for labor. and like the other guy said u cant take it with u . and why leave it for someone else.. we cant wait ..
kully542 is offline   Reply With Quote