Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2024, 03:56 PM   #1
K2 Camper
Established Member

M.O.C. #32061
Fridge on Solar Time?

If I don’t disconnect the batteries when I put my 3761 FL into outdoor storage how long would the fridge work on two 100 AH lithium ion batteries with the standard factory installed solar? The 100 AH lithium ion batteries may let me leave the fridge on in storage, I am not worried about running the lead acid batteries below 50%.

What do you think how long could it keep up and stay cold?

K2 Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:14 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 Camper View Post
If I don’t disconnect the batteries when I put my 3761 FL into outdoor storage how long would the fridge work on two 100 AH lithium ion batteries with the standard factory installed solar? The 100 AH lithium ion batteries may let me leave the fridge on in storage, I am not worried about running the lead acid batteries below 50%.

What do you think how long could it keep up and stay cold?
It would help to know what system you have and I assume you're talking about a residential fridge. You're batteries won't last long. The solar can't deliver that much charge to keep up with the fridge current draw. Unless you had a large solar system and an equally large battery bank. The Lithium/solar package with a residential fridge from Keystone is only designed to assist while traveling. Maybe 5 or 6 hours on lithium? I'm guessing since I don't have a res fridge. Others here can accurately answer.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:26 PM   #3
K2 Camper
Established Member

M.O.C. #32061
Thanks for your response. I have a factory installed solar flex 220 on my fifth wheel and I live in Nebraska so we have more sunny days than cloudy. I parked my rig overnight at my home and the fridge was ice cold 20 hours later, the next day. I do have a residential fridge in our rig.
K2 Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:56 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2 Camper View Post
Thanks for your response. I have a factory installed solar flex 220 on my fifth wheel and I live in Nebraska so we have more sunny days than cloudy. I parked my rig overnight at my home and the fridge was ice cold 20 hours later, the next day. I do have a residential fridge in our rig.
WOW! I have a 400 watt solar with 200 AH's lithium and I'm at 50% in the morning not running a res fridge.... Don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:03 PM   #5
LJSantore
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30397
ICE Packs

I have two Sets of Ice packs, I rotate them from the Fridge to the freezer every few days that keeps the compressor run time down saving power. I cant Say how long the battery bank and one panel will run the fridge. because we have a large lithium battery bank (1080 AH) and a lot of solar. but yes solar can keep up with the residential refrigerator (depending on the battery bank. Try to never go below 50% state of charge on lead acid or AGM batteries. It just depends on so many things Such as outside temp Ect
Figure out what you consume in a day, Have enough battery for that (times Two). Then add enough Solar to top off batteries before the end of the day.
LJSantore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:42 AM   #6
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
I found this information a couple of years ago regarding the GE residential fridge power consumption.
"the GE residential fridges they put in the current Montana’s run around 150w (120v…with conversion losses etc it pulls about 13-14 amp DC) and only need to run around 7-8 hours/24 hour period depending on obvious factors like usage, temps, how full it is etc. It will spike to 350w for the defrost cycle a couple times a day but only for about 20 mins or so and then the ice maker can use another 150w or so but only for very short durations….with minimal other power draws my 100Ah of battery usually sits around 40-50% after a night of battery usage when the panels start making power again...my residential fridge averages 1.2-1.4kWh per day."
My experience with our GE fridge is similar - but I have 4x200 watt panels that usually get my batteries back to 100% by mid-day. We also use the TV for a couple of hours on a satellite dish, lights until 11:00 pm, and I make a pot of coffee using the inverter in the morning. This leaves my 200 amp hrs at about 40% when the sun starts recharging the system.
In your case there are a few other factors to consider. You have a single panel mounted on one side of the roof on the RV. It's leaning at about 5-7 degrees toward the side of the RV. It that side is facing north where you store the RV, your sun exposure will be reduced, even in clear weather. The second fairly important factor is what is in the fridge and what is the outside temperature. If nothing is in there it will run a lot more frequently than the numbers stated above. Also, if it's warm and you don't have the RV AC running, the fridge has to overcome the heat of the inside of the RV.
I have my RV stored in a place where I could leave it running, but I choose not to do that. Even on a warm day in south Texas, I can start it and 12 hours or less later the ice maker is making ice and it's cool enough to put items in safely. When it goes back in storage, we wipe it down, dump the ice, turn it off and leave it open to dry out.
Good luck as you work through your situation!
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:16 AM   #7
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
We have a new 2024 with GWE19 fridge, I have not been able to locate an on/off switch??
I have been turning it off with the Magnum System CSW inverter switch in the control cabinet. There's no switch on the front panel
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:43 AM   #8
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our3231CK View Post
We have a new 2024 with GWE19 fridge, I have not been able to locate an on/off switch??
I have been turning it off with the Magnum System CSW inverter switch in the control cabinet. There's no switch on the front panel
Press and hold both the freezer and refrigerator temperature buttons at the top of the fridge. I think the instructions are there in fine print as well. To start it running again, press either the temp buttons.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote