Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #41
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Usually one of the deodorants will keep the odor down. Since we seasonal, I simply do a good back flush and cleanout every other dump which suffices. We generally take a lengthy trip each fall. On the last leg to home, I will add a few ounces of easily found Rid-X which has both same basic ingredients as Happy Camper at a lot less dollars(look at the SDS). Remember, these are holding tanks, not septic tanks. All you want to do is to better break up whatever is in there to do a full dump. Rid-x and Happy Camper will do that job. That blue stuff in a plastic bottle is for all intent, a deodorant

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #42
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
For as crappy as this topic is. I have to say all of the comments are interesting for sure. The creativity on the many ways to deal black tank waste is impressive. I purchased and tried some happy camper this weekend. Jury is still out and a bit more time will tell I'm sure.

One thing I did notice from a number of posts was that if these systems are operating properly there should be no odor as they are vented. I agree to a point. However, this weekend while trying the new happy camper I think I figured out why (not miraculous for sure) many get a whiff out of the tank.

Its hot out. The black tank gets hot. The ingredients are doing their thing waiting to be dumped. You finish your business and flush. Next thing ya know, you get a blast of this most awful smell, so thick you can chew it. Here's the reason...Your automatic fan is on and set so high that its draft pulls the odor back into the bathroom.

Again not a miraculous discovery, but I laughed like heck when it happened this weekend to me and I realized that because of this thread I was paying more attention because of what I read.

I really want to thank everyone on here for all the contributions of information...Even the stinky ones!!!
2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #43
mjmspeednut

M.O.C. #18019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
The Calgon helps to keep the sides slipperily so stuff does stick to the sides, allowing for a better flush.
How much Calgon do you use? Say for a 60 gallon tank.
mjmspeednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #44
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I just use a cap full of calgon and approx a cup of generic pine sol.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #45
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Last couple years we have been using Dollar store fabric softener good for the valve seals and smells fine.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #46
Wycomike

M.O.C. #25541
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
For as crappy as this topic is. I have to say all of the comments are interesting for sure. The creativity on the many ways to deal black tank waste is impressive. I purchased and tried some happy camper this weekend. Jury is still out and a bit more time will tell I'm sure.

One thing I did notice from a number of posts was that if these systems are operating properly there should be no odor as they are vented. I agree to a point. However, this weekend while trying the new happy camper I think I figured out why (not miraculous for sure) many get a whiff out of the tank.

Its hot out. The black tank gets hot. The ingredients are doing their thing waiting to be dumped. You finish your business and flush. Next thing ya know, you get a blast of this most awful smell, so thick you can chew it. Here's the reason...Your automatic fan is on and set so high that its draft pulls the odor back into the bathroom.

Again not a miraculous discovery, but I laughed like heck when it happened this weekend to me and I realized that because of this thread I was paying more attention because of what I read.

I really want to thank everyone on here for all the contributions of information...Even the stinky ones!!!
LOL, you are correct! I recently installed a new MaxxAir model 7500K fan in our bathroom and now the wife makes me “turn off” the fan when I am doing my business ��. That new fan moves a whole lot more air (and odor) than the stock Fan-Tastic one ever did.
Wycomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:29 PM   #47
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post

Our MaxxFan is always on and I have a super sensitive nose. I never smell anything. One thing I did do is go on the roof with a hose and run water down the vent to make sure it was working shortly after we bought this rig. It's the first thing I would do if I ever did start to smell the beast.

As far as all the folks using chems for short periods of time, I do the same for tiger control. I snap my fingers once a day to keep them away. It must work, I haven't seen a tiger around here ever.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #48
OKCamper

M.O.C. #26489
So what's with the pods you can toss down the chute? I've heard rumors about some not dissolving. It's always someone heard about someone who had problems with their valve. I'm having problems with my new HC 335 galley valve leaking the first time I took it out. I can't just toss a pod down the kitchen sink so there are other issues with valves not associated with these pods. Has this actually happened to anyone's rig personally where pods didn't properly dissolve? I used a rental RV in Alaska for a week with no odors at all. I was pretty impressed so I'm thinking about staying with the pods.
OKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #49
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Using PurePowerBlue liquid
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #50
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Update from my earlier post.

We have always used the eco-blend w/o issues, but we mostly do winter camping in the south.

Couple weeks ago all our kids visited for a couple weeks and DW and I stayed in the camper to make more room the house. Just used the toilet for midnight visits, but when I flushed it, wow, bad odor. No odor other than when the flush valve was open.

Thinking back, seems when we came back north in the spring we used our own private b/r for rest stops and the last couple nights were parking lot boon docks so I didn't have the chance to dump and flush the black tank.

Anyway the temps in July were in the 90's most everyday. Seems that makes a difference. As per my son-in-law's advice I got the good blue stuff and that took care of the odor. I will keep that in stock if we do any further summer time camping.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #51
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCamper View Post
So what's with the pods you can toss down the chute? I've heard rumors about some not dissolving. It's always someone heard about someone who had problems with their valve. I'm having problems with my new HC 335 galley valve leaking the first time I took it out. I can't just toss a pod down the kitchen sink so there are other issues with valves not associated with these pods. Has this actually happened to anyone's rig personally where pods didn't properly dissolve? I used a rental RV in Alaska for a week with no odors at all. I was pretty impressed so I'm thinking about staying with the pods.
I cut the pods and pour the contents down the hole. I put the wrapper in water to see what happens. It turned into a blob that wouldn't be nice if wedged in a valve.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #52
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We have been using happy camper for years. Does it work ? Don't Know. If your sink/tub traps are full of water along with water in your toilet bowl, you should have no smells. We have been on septic for 25 years with the tank being 10 foot from the house and never had a smell issue. Just saying!!
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #53
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Okay, so I read on here about the Calgon and I use it because you all recommended it but what does it do...? Lol. I do plan on getting some happy camper too...I think...

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:10 AM   #54
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
Okay, so I read on here about the Calvin and I use it because you all recommended it but what does it do...? Lol. I do plan on getting some happy camper too...I think...

Tony
It's Calgon and it's a water softener keeps stuff from sticking to the sides of the tanks
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #55
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Ugh autocorrect on my phone kills me sometimes. That’s what I thought thanks.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #56
OKCamper

M.O.C. #26489
Montana Man, Thanks for the info. That's enough for me to steer clear of them. Back to measuring cup for me.
OKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote