Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Chandelier has fallen

The Chandelier in our 2006 Montana 3400RL fell from the ceiling today while traveling. Completely destroyed beyond repair. Anyone been through this and found a replacement? Ours was causing problems anyway because some of the bulbs were burned out and I couldn't get the old bulbs out. Was going to remove the whole Chandelier soon to try to figure out how to get the bad bulbs out. That won't be necessary any more I guess.

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You have a chandelier? I feel deprived.
There is a tool that you can buy to remove broken bulbs from sockets. Lowes also sells a small tube of lube that can be put on the threads of bulbs to help them come out easier.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Ours too had problems. At different times (at the whim of the fixture) one of the lights would not work. It was a different bulb each time. We took it to service and wouldn't you know it - all three bulbs worked perfectly. Finally ended up replacing the whole thing with the next Montana generation chandelier. All is good and the wife is happy so - so am I
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ok Jim, where did you get the next gen fixture. Patti already wants the chandelier in our new one. And is there a ceiling box to attach or do the screws just go in the ceiling like the other lights?
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
How much did that run, Jim? And did you replace it yourself?

Sent you a PM.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We don't have a chandelier either!
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I have heard of people using a potato to help remove broken bulbs. Also I use long nose needle nose pliers after making sure the fixture is unplugged of course.
I have actually used "Pam" food spray on the bulb base to lube the bulb to keep them from seizing up and being hard or impossible to remove.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Let me try again. Where does one find a replacement?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Desert RVer,

I'd start at the closet Montana dealer. Nothing says you need to replace with exactly the same thing. Look around and find something that you want and give it a try.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
HamRad,

Thanks. Closest Montana Dealer is 1 1/2 hours away. It doesn't appear Camping World sells anything like this. I was hoping some on-line retailer might carry something like this but haven't found any with a gGoogle search. The one that fell and broke is a 3 - 12V chandilier with large glass shades version. It appears the top nut on the htreaded shaft worked its way loose over time. probably was never tightened properly to begin with. Upon further inspection of the fixture it appears that the whole chandilier might be salvagable if I could find replacements for two of the three glass shades that broke. The only remaining good glass shade has 1997 LANCASTER embossed on it but no other identifying information. Not familiar with glass shades enough to know if the 1997 Lancaster is all that meaningful. A Google search does not yield much although it does appear that Lancaster does make glass shades.
After fully disaassembling the fixture it appears the reason I could not get the bulbs out was that the contact pins in the fixture had created divots in the contacts on the 12V bulbs. This created a severe resistance to twisting so that the 12 volt automotive 2 contact type bulbs could not be turned for removal. Not entirely sure whether vibration over time caused that or defective bulb contacts or just normal wear and tear.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, you don't have to make a trip to the dealership. Call them. I am sure they will give you a price when they check with Keystone/Montana. Have them email you a pic if you want. Then Keystone will drop ship straight to your house.

I ran over a ditch on my blind side a couple days ago with my 3400. Took out the rear stabilizer jack and the rear fender panel. Called the dealership - also 1 1/2 hrs away for me - and they got a price from Keystone and I will pay the dealership. Keystone is drop shopping the parts straight to my house.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Thanks. Have checked with a few hardware stores and can find replacement glass shades that will work even though they are not an exact replica of what has been broken. But now have something to compare to what the Montana dealer may offer. Also going to rewire the chandelier back up to the ceiling wiring and get some new bulbs to see if everything still works. If it does, then will invest in new glass shades. Else will have to get a whole new chandelier.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Why did it all out???? does it need to be be enforced up there?? Mine seems to be firmly attached to the ceiling.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Rich,

From what I can figure out the nut inside the plate mounted to the ceiling that holds the threaded rod of the Chandelier fixture to the plate came undone and then the threaded rod and fixture fell out The Plate was still firmly mounted the ceiling. Either the nut hadn't been tightened properly initially or over time the nut worked itself loose. Am I making myself clear?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If you will be at the fall rally in Goshen you can HAVE the one in our dining area, we have an 08 340RLQ Big Sky (same layout as 3400RL), I have parted my scalp for the last time on the damn thing. We will be getting a domed type like in the 2010s... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Desert Rver...yes I went out and looked. Everything is tight.. That is someting to keep a eye on as we bump on down the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave are you talking about that 110 ac light over the table?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Nope, the the one over the dining table is exactly like the one over the door, both are 12 volt. I only have one 120 volt in the big slide and that is right over the couch. I am not fond of the one over the door either but it has not tried to scalp my yet... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You are set up differently then from my 2007 3400. I have a 110v dome light over my table and a smaller version of the same style - only 12v - further down the same slide. My only chandelier is above my door and I would never come close to hitting my head on that.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
The Chandelier I'm referring to is the 12V one right above the entrance door. Well, it used to be until it fell. Three 12V lights with dome type glass shades with some brass looking curved arms mounted to a threaded shaft to a ceiling plate. Not very fancy at all, in fact a little bit chintzy, but I think it is supposed to be called a chandelier. Mounted quite high so I don't think even a very, very tall person would hit it. Won't be coming to the fall rally in Goshen. Over 2000 miles from us in AZ. However, I envy those of you who get to take your Montana's to the factory. Ours needs it but it won't happen any time soon.