Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #41
6t7gto
Established Member

M.O.C. #25768
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...t-billionaire/

6t7gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:55 AM   #42
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
You and I probably not only passed but may have worked in the same buildings for the same group

Actually there were two original buildings, 10 and 12 (motor/gen coils) and I worked in 12 and a bunch more in my 42 years there. Both are now either parking or part of the green space GE created when they sealed and covered that polluted ground along with the 3 Zone parking lot in the late '80s to mid '90s.

Yes, Tesla advocated AC and ceated a major rift between him and Edison and Steinmetx though Westinghouse made it happen
Yup, I worked in 10. Watched as they tore down 12. Sad day indeed. Ended up working in the Research Lab that Steinmetz built. I believe Edison's desk is still there along with a chunk of bamboo that he used to make carbon strips for his light bulbs. Can't verify as I've been out for 20yrs now.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #43
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Yup, I worked in 10. Watched as they tore down 12. Sad day indeed. Ended up working in the Research Lab that Steinmetz built. I believe Edison's desk is still there along with a chunk of bamboo that he used to make carbon strips for his light bulbs. Can't verify as I've been out for 20yrs now.

Guess you went before I did in Feb 2006. I ended up last based out of Bldg 2 in an international power plant project group but with many stops for various reasons in between. Building 12 was where the original Monitor Top refrigerator was built in the '20s and '30s. I actually found an elderly acquaintances name on a locker with a 1930s date
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #44
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Interestingly enough, DC actually transmits current better over long distances than AC. AC transmission lines are limited to around 800 kv (800,000 volts) due to voltage losses any higher than that reducing the efficiency. And they are limited to around 300 miles, due to resistive line losses that reduce efficiency. DC, on the other hand, can go over 1,000 kv (1 million volts) without the same efficiency losses and distance limitations. There are only a few primary DC power distribution lines in the US, the longest of which is a 1,000 kv DC line from northern Oregon to southern California.

But DC has its own problems. One primary problem is that power plant generators produce AC power making it is very easy to boost that AC power to higher voltages and reduce it to lower voltages as needed using basic transformers. But to convert the AC generator power to DC at the source and then convert it back to AC at the destination has traditionally been difficult, inefficient, and costly. New advances have improved that process and lowered the costs, but AC is firmly rooted in place.

The whole process is interesting. The above are but a few of the issues facing AC vs DC generation and transmission. But probably not a topic many would sit around the campfire discussing.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:16 AM   #45
TedBarny50

M.O.C. #29412
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Yup, I worked in 10. Watched as they tore down 12. Sad day indeed. Ended up working in the Research Lab that Steinmetz built. I believe Edison's desk is still there along with a chunk of bamboo that he used to make bamboo strips for his light bulbs. Can't verify as I've been out for 20yrs now.
Thanks...
TedBarny50 is offline   Reply With Quote