Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Shower problems

I'm finding this forum to be extremely helpful so far!! Thanks to all for your assistance. Now for another problem. The shower knob must be turned almost all the way toward hot before useable, however there is no regulations from that point. It's either that temp or it is way to hot or way to cold doesn't seem to be a happy place. Is there a way to allow for more variance? Wife NOT happy about this. I can take it back to the dealer, but if there is a easy fix would rather just take care of it myself.

I know I didn't do a very good job explaining this problem, sorry.

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
You did a fine job explaining a recurring issue with OE shower heads. There are many fixes but I just choose to buy a new Oxygenics shower head upon purchase of a new RV. Others will chime in with their remedies I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
From the description, it sounds like the faucet has a problem. Does this faucet have a single knob or is there a separate hot and cold knob or handle? It could be trash or debris in the valve that is inside the faucet housing and may be fixed by removing that valve and cleaning it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I would second rohrmann's idea of the possibility of crud being in the faucet valve itself. If you get it apart you may find that the valve itself is trashed or the rubbers/gaskets have actually slipped or even tore and causing the problem. The last resort is taking it back to the dealer for warranty work but hopefully you will not find the problem by working on it yourself.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:59 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Gubs, your wife is not alone. Ours is the same way. Extremely hot, or 1/8th inch turn and water is cold. No adjustment. We've just learned to live with it. I may try what Rohrmann suggested though. Never occurred to me that there could be trash in the valve.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My Montana High Country had the exact same problem. There is only 1 handle that turns the water on. It starts out cold and get's hotter the farther you turn it.

Mine was exactly the same as yours, except it never truly got hot! We like short hot showers, not long cold ones.

If camping in cold weather, the cold water coming into your camper dominates at the mixer and the mixer just does not let enough hot through to compensate and warm up the cold.

Here's how it works though. The "mixer" is at the shower handle knob. When you first crack the handle open, it's all COLD water. The more you turn it, less cold and more hot. When you turn it all the way to the end, it SHOULD be all hot. But nope! It doesn't happen. Even turning all the way, it's still blended (mixed) with hot and cold, and still not enough hot. Result .... lukewarm water. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Solution! Easy! I took the handle fixture off the wall, reversed the hot and cold lines where it attaches to the back of the faucet handle and put it back on the wall. Used some bathtub calking around the seal and good to go.

What happens now?

When you first crack the faucet open, it's ALL HOT, not all cold. The farther you turn it around, the colder it gets.

Oh, don't worry about burning yourself when you first turn the faucet on. There is always cooled down water in your water lines running between the water heater and this faucet. It will be cold water when you initially turn it on and begin to get hot once it runs a few seconds.

Meanwhile, you have now already turned the handle about half way around, so when the TRUE hot mixes with the now cold, the true hot mix overpowers the cold, creating nice warm water, and all HOT if you really want HOT, just barely turn the knob on.

As long as everyone using the shower knows that HOT is first and the farther you turn the hand, the cooler it gets, everything works great!

Now, on the other end of the spigot .... sort of say ... if you turn the handle ALL the way around, you will never get truly cold water!

For me, this was an easy fix. Just reverse the water lines on the back of the faucet handle. It will be ALL hot initially, and lukewarm if cranked all the way open.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
My Montana High Country had the exact same problem. There is only 1 handle that turns the water on. It starts out cold and get's hotter the farther you turn it.

Mine was exactly the same as yours, except it never truly got hot! We like short hot showers, not long cold ones.

If camping in cold weather, the cold water coming into your camper dominates at the mixer and the mixer just does not let enough hot through to compensate and warm up the cold.

Here's how it works though. The "mixer" is at the shower handle knob. When you first crack the handle open, it's all COLD water. The more you turn it, less cold and more hot. When you turn it all the way to the end, it SHOULD be all hot. But nope! It doesn't happen. Even turning all the way, it's still blended (mixed) with hot and cold, and still not enough hot. Result .... lukewarm water. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Solution! Easy! I took the handle fixture off the wall, reversed the hot and cold lines where it attaches to the back of the faucet handle and put it back on the wall. Used some bathtub calking around the seal and good to go.

What happens now?

When you first crack the faucet open, it's ALL HOT, not all cold. The farther you turn it around, the colder it gets.

Oh, don't worry about burning yourself when you first turn the faucet on. There is always cooled down water in your water lines running between the water heater and this faucet. It will be cold water when you initially turn it on and begin to get hot once it runs a few seconds.

Meanwhile, you have now already turned the handle about half way around, so when the TRUE hot mixes with the now cold, the true hot mix overpowers the cold, creating nice warm water, and all HOT if you really want HOT, just barely turn the knob on.

As long as everyone using the shower knows that HOT is first and the farther you turn the hand, the cooler it gets, everything works great!

Now, on the other end of the spigot .... sort of say ... if you turn the handle ALL the way around, you will never get truly cold water!

For me, this was an easy fix. Just reverse the water lines on the back of the faucet handle. It will be ALL hot initially, and lukewarm if cranked all the way open.

This sounds like a pretty easy solution for the OP if they wanted to do it. I highly doubt he has anything wrong with the shower control as his description is the same as what mine have done and many others I've read about. That last 1/8" can/will go from luke warm to scalding which is very irritating to me. As I previously posted, I replace those shower heads but this might the the answer for the OP.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:10 PM   #8
Rjlg
Established Member

M.O.C. #27708
We have a 2021 montana 3121. Our shower faucet is doing the same thing. Almost all the way to the end and it's almost to hot just a little pressure on the faucet and it's cold. I'm not opposed to putting on the oxygenics if it's a fix but to bad for a brand new unit I have to do that.
Rjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlg View Post
We have a 2021 montana 3121. Our shower faucet is doing the same thing. Almost all the way to the end and it's almost to hot just a little pressure on the faucet and it's cold. I'm not opposed to putting on the oxygenics if it's a fix but to bad for a brand new unit I have to do that.
One thing to note is that the oxygenics are far superior shower heads. We have moved the same one across several rigs and it's always one of the first things we do on a new unit. They will put out great pressure even if the park pressure drops or if you are on your RV water pump. They are also essential if you boondock - they use far less water.

Now, whether it resolves the OP issue I cannot say.

hth
Brad
Old 01-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

And the new ones might come with a anti scald feature and just needs to be adjusted. Like a new hot water heater they are all set at the lowest level from the factory and you need to make the temperature adjustment to your liking.
Yeh, I know I should not have to do this so it`s back to the dealer for 2 months waiting. ( from another post here)
Just pull the single handle knob off and look for the anti scald feature and adjust it if it`s there. It`s on you tube.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
Rjlg
Established Member

M.O.C. #27708
Ok thanks for replying. I might look at those shower heads. Not sure if there's an adjustment on this one I'll have to take it off and look
Rjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
The shower head is just the output point for the water controlled by the faucet. The shower head does not control hot or cold. The problem is the mixer valve in the faucet.
Just saying.

Btw, we also have the oxygenics shower head. Great improvement over factory.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
Sohio
Established Member

M.O.C. #8596
Our 2019 3791 did the same thing. We swapped our single handle for a dual handled faucet. Much better control of the water temperature now.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
Dale pitman

M.O.C. #27183
In regards to your shower problem. You need to change the mixing valve cartridge that mixes the hot and cold water.
Make sure the water is off to the shower and take of shower handle and the cartridge I behind there. That should take care of the problem.
Dale pitman proud owner of a new 2021 Montana 5th wheel
Dale pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #15
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
It's not crud or anything like that in the shower valve. It's the way your OE valve is made and ours does the same thing. I am looking at a new RV shower valve that has two handles instead of one to solve the problem. You might consider this.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #16
Sumri
Established Member

M.O.C. #24654
First night we used our 3761FL we only had cold water coming out of the shower. I removed the single knob assembly, open the hot water line and removed a piece of cut off plastic tubing blocking the hot water. Re-assembled and hot and cold water adjustment has worked great ever since July 2, 2019. Took less than 10 minutes to fix.
Sumri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #17
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumri View Post
First night we used our 3761FL we only had cold water coming out of the shower. I removed the single knob assembly, open the hot water line and removed a piece of cut off plastic tubing blocking the hot water. Re-assembled and hot and cold water adjustment has worked great ever since July 2, 2019. Took less than 10 minutes to fix.

When you say you "opened the hot water line"....do you mean you pulled the assembly from the shower wall and took off the hot water line from the back?
Old 01-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #18
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Thanks

Thanks to all for responding to my need!! Everything is still under warranty so back to the dealer it goes, let them handle it! I looked at it and it does look like a easy fix, but hey, let them fix it since I have a few other little things for them to look at. Again, THANKS to all. What a great forum!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #19
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumri View Post

When you say you "opened the hot water line"....do you mean you pulled the assembly from the shower wall and took off the hot water line from the back?
Old 01-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #20
The Ice Man

M.O.C. #23925
This problem is typical in many, if not most, RV's. It is caused by temperature dominance and the solution is pretty easy. Try this and let the members know if this solves your problem:
When you first turn on the water, turn it all the way to HOT. Once the hot is flowing, then back off until you reach the desired temperature.
If you have a two valve system turn on the HOT first, then add cold.
Let us know your result.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote