Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2020, 04:32 AM   #1
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
Pin weight ratio

I have done multiple searches for this question, both on this site and the Keystone site and I'm still not sure of a definite answer. I do not have a Monty yet, but the DW and I like the 3120rl the best. The published weight is listed as 11999 lbs empty and a pin weight of 2350. That gives me a pin weight ratio of 19.6%. So my question is, when I am at full capacity of 16k (which may never happen as we will be longtimers not fulltimers) will that ratio still be the same or close? I know that it's not an exact measurement, but for those of you that have scaled your rig in full combat ready mode, has the ratio been the same as empty? I'm a Ford guy and the DW wants to keep the TV to a SRW. So I know that I wont be over on the GCWR with either the 6.7l or the 7.3l engine. I trying to find out my margin of error on the pin weight. Thanks for everyone's help and advise.

LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
A lot will depend on how you load the trailer. You'll have to load it and weigh it to know for sure. Its pretty easy to stay within the safe range.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
That will be the same depending on how you load the RV. I long time as well and do 3 month trips. I am careful as to what I load. I think about if i need or will use something on the trip before i pack it in the storage. I have a F250 6.7 and it tows real nice. I had to add air bags to level the truck for towing. I also and i think is a must the on board compressor. On my first trip I was always airing up and down. It got old getting the air compressor and cord out every 3 days.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
At 15,540 I run @ 3850 pin weight

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
20% is a good number to start with. Every rig is different and you will not know exactly until you hit the scale.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
It looks like the 3120 has the large storage (basement) towards the front and also the bedroom closet in the front. Those areas are where about 90% of your added weight will occur, so naturally the percentage of weight will shift toward the kingpin. Don’t forget that anything in the truck counts as well. My 3100 which has a weight similar to yours has a scaled pin weight of just under 3000lbs loaded for a two week trip. If I was going for several months I’m sure another 500lbs of front loaded weight would be in order.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
IMO your TV should have the capability to carry a 3000# pin weight. It will probably be higher than that if you add a washer/dryer.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I agree with 20% as a good starting point. We have an HC 353 and our pin weight is 2500 plus. I would use 25% as a good safety factor to be sure you have enough tv capacity. I pulled with a F-250 diesel. Pulled fine but we were 1000#’s over-weight.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
Just in case my Thanks did not come thru, I want to thank everyone who responded. That very much helped me nail down one aspect of my tow vehicle. Fortunately I was on the right track.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
Just in case my Thanks did not come thru, I want to thank everyone who responded. That very much helped me nail down one aspect of my tow vehicle. Fortunately I was on the right track.
If you do a lot of traveling you should get the diesel. gas will do fine for the week long vacation but traveling around the country I would get the diesel. You will get more power torque and fuel millage with the D. Many mountains in our great country and I have crossed most of them and it was nice to not have to floor it to get to the top. Exhaust brake is another great option you won't get with gas.

When I went shopping for my truck i needed to get the most comfortable interior because I was going to spend a lot of time in there. Sun roof made no sense to me. I have a car with one and never use it. Sirius radio is good but if you have a app on your phone than you dont need that. Heated and cooled seats oh ya. Lots of options out there so pick your poison and make sure you will be happy. Nothing like settling for something you are not excited about for years.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
i have a pin weigh of 3,000lbs with a 2020 f-250 and 5,000 lb air bags. (only need air bags when you go over bridges to smooth out the rocking....i set at 40lbs )

I also have the trailer package which gives the 3.55 axle and the same axle
( dana-275) and springs as the ford f-350.

the tires are your weakest link as they only handle 3640lbs of weight each

I had only a 100-150 lb lea way with these tires. And if you hit a few bumps the 3000 lbs can become 3500 for a few seconds.

I solved this by getting rid of my NEW Goodyear wranglers (came with truck) and going to
Yokohamas geolander that are rated at 4080 lbs each.

This gives me a 880 lb lea way in weight. And they are a quiet ride on the highway.

of course my truck is a diesel. Don't even consider gas...you will be one sorry puppy.

I cruse at 65 mph at about 1500 rpm. and power to spare going up hills...
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We pulled our Montana all over the country first with the 2005 F-350 6.8-liter V-10. It is a great motor . Then changed to the 08 F-350 6.4 Diesel after our first cross country trip.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We pulled our Montana all over the country first with the 2005 F-350 6.8-liter V-10. It is a great motor . Then changed to the 08 F-350 6.4 Diesel after our first cross country trip.
but the fact that you changed to diesel speaks for itself
Old 11-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If I remember correctly, my rig weighs around 13000 lb. maybe 13.5. My truck is right at 8000 with full tank (36 gal.), my pullrite hitch and a toolbox, and 2 adults. My pin weight is 2400-2500, which puts me over by 500 lb - but the axles (tires) are right at their limit, but not over.

I made a mistake when I purchased the truck (2012 Silverado 2500). I thought the 3500 would be a lot more money. At that time, the 3500 had 1000 or 1500 lb more load capacity. Which would have made me happy with 500 lb above my pin weight to spare. Oh, it turns out at that time the upgrade would have only cost about $1500. don't know about it now.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #15
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
From the responses I'm seeing, it tells me that the truck I'm considering is a perfect fit for my needs. I know many have stated that I might be disappointed if I go with a gasoline motor. Just a quick backstory, I currently tow an older 28ft Copper Canyon 5er with an ecoboost. Trust me when I tell you that the motor is NOT my weak spot. When I bought my truck, I didn't have the camper yet. It was towing my boat. I was looking at TTs, and the wife was watching our current rig without telling me until it dropped down in price where she was happy. I was a little educated from these type of forums so I knew my payload was close. But because I didn't know the only hitch that worked in my truck was a pull rite, I ended up with a surprise of 350lbs. So I am 500lbs over. Set of Timbrens, powerstop brakes and E rated tires have fixed the problem for now. But that is why I am more concerned about being proper on my pin weight than anything else. Especially since I am looking at a traveling weight near 14-15k. I know my ecoboost would pull that no problem. So I'm fairly certain that the new Ford 7.3l with the 4:30 rear end would too! As good as a diesel, no, but I won't need 1000ft lbs to do the job I would be asking of it. Plus I'm already getting 7-9 mpg loaded, no surprise there. I'm still weighing that option out. Thank for everyone's help.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
From the responses I'm seeing, it tells me that the truck I'm considering is a perfect fit for my needs. I know many have stated that I might be disappointed if I go with a gasoline motor. Just a quick backstory, I currently tow an older 28ft Copper Canyon 5er with an ecoboost. Trust me when I tell you that the motor is NOT my weak spot. When I bought my truck, I didn't have the camper yet. It was towing my boat. I was looking at TTs, and the wife was watching our current rig without telling me until it dropped down in price where she was happy. I was a little educated from these type of forums so I knew my payload was close. But because I didn't know the only hitch that worked in my truck was a pull rite, I ended up with a surprise of 350lbs. So I am 500lbs over. Set of Timbrens, powerstop brakes and E rated tires have fixed the problem for now. But that is why I am more concerned about being proper on my pin weight than anything else. Especially since I am looking at a traveling weight near 14-15k. I know my ecoboost would pull that no problem. So I'm fairly certain that the new Ford 7.3l with the 4:30 rear end would too! As good as a diesel, no, but I won't need 1000ft lbs to do the job I would be asking of it. Plus I'm already getting 7-9 mpg loaded, no surprise there. I'm still weighing that option out. Thank for everyone's help.
please break down into paragraphs to make reading easier.

with my f-250 diesel and trailer fully loaded (about 14-15,000 lbs) i get 11.5-12.5 miles per gallon.
the diesel has a 10 speed so going up the steepest is no problem

one factor you have totally overlooked is the "DIESEL BRAKE"

you don't want to have to ride your truck /trailer brakes going down hills as you do with a gasoline engine.

the diesel brakes have 2 formats

1---diesel brake --will slow down using engine when you step once on the brakes

2--automatic diesel brake...... works with cruse control. Without touching the gas or brake pedal the curse control will keep your set speed and if you begin a downward slope ( even the slightest) the auto diesel brake will keep your speed constant applying just enough engine braking to do this....

This my friend is a big plus....so there
Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post

with my f-250 diesel and trailer fully loaded (about 14-15,000 lbs) i get 11.5-12.5 miles per gallon.

you don't want to have to ride your truck /trailer brakes going down hills as you do with a gasoline engine.

2--automatic diesel brake...... works with cruse control. Without touching the gas or brake pedal the curse control will keep your set speed and if you begin a downward slope ( even the slightest) the auto diesel brake will keep your speed constant applying just enough engine braking to do this....

The newer Ford twin Turbo V6 Ecoboost does have the engine braking. They work extremely well just as you described and with the Cruise control. Their torque is at much lower RPM's very similar to a diesel. These engines are game changers for gasoline engines. Honestly, if you your like me, you will not believe it until you drive and tow with one.

I've only driven and towed with the V6 in the 1/2 ton truck. Definitely not enough truck for our 5ers but they are truly amazing gasoline engines.
If they ever make this same twin turbo ecoboost in a V8 and put it in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, I'll be at the front of the waiting line.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #18
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
You bet! Quite honestly, if something unforseen happens that we can't upgrade our current rig, I'll keep that ecoboost until I run out of tie straps to keep it together!
Old 11-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #19
D A Busman
Established Member

M.O.C. #22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post

For Bruce: Be thankful it wasn’t my post I don’t always even use punctuation I leave it up to the reader shoot if you have any patience at all you will figure it out!
D A Busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #20
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by D A Busman View Post
For Bruce: Be thankful it wasn’t my post I don’t always even use punctuation I leave it up to the reader shoot if you have any patience at all you will figure it out!
i have the patience ..but not the eyes. paragraphs are helpful