Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2022, 05:07 AM   #1
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Tow hitches

My previous used truck came with an installed hitch which used the rail system with pin and clips. It was heavy (maybe 100 lbs) and I used a Transmission lift to get it in and out of the bed. I just bought a 2020 LB Ram 3500 with the puck system. I didn't mind scratching up my old "starter" truck but though this truck is new it only has 15K mile and looks new (damn well cost like a new truck!!). I tow a 2016 Monty 353RL and was wonder if the Anderson hitch, which is only 35 lbs to be up to the job. To me more weight means more strength (and also more strength required to move it in and out of the bed). I've researched the Pull Rite, Anderson, B&W, Denco and Reese hitches but am requesting some real world experience. I've read a lot of the previous posts on the Anderson and wondered if that provides enough twisting support on for the trailer pin box, or do you even need twisting support or is it better to let the trailer twist a little in relation to the truck?
So for those who have used the Anderson, is this an issue? Are there better ones out there? Pull Rite has a gooseneck hitch which seems pretty cool but weighs 74 lbs. I can lift about 100 lbs maybe once a day, but don't want to be doing it all the time. I do like removing the hitch as I use the truck for other things. Any suggestions would help. I might also add that I have a toolbox/aux tank in the truck, or will shortly
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote