Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2005, 04:37 AM   #21
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have ordered a case of Sprayway 101 and will have some available at the rally in Reno for $6.50 per can.

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
8.1al, if you still have them at the Reno rally I'll take two of those cans.

J.D., no such thing as a dumb question. You know that already!

Wayne, I'm one of those guys who originally thought the chrome tube should be "protected". Then I read here and in the manual not to do that So I wiped mine clean with a rag. I was afraid to use any kind of cleaner on it for fear of making things worse. That was a couple of years ago and it seems to be none the worse for wear.

Pete, you are probably a bit more careful and thorough with it than I have been but your method makes sense. I will do the same in the future (wiping the chrome tube and covering it during lubing of the square tubes.

As a footnote, I recently sanded and repainted the saddle on our hitch after it was scratched up pretty bad (different story). Then I sprayed the saddle (as well as the latch) with this 101 even though we use the teflon disc. We have not since towed the house so I can't yet tell you how the 101 fared under towing condition. But I did run the truck through one of those automatic car washes where you drive in and it pulls you on through. It used high pressure soap and water along with those long cloths that drag across the body to help clean it. I was pleasantly surprised (and impressed) to see the 101 seemed to be unfazed by all this. I normally expect to have to shoot more lube on the hitch friction points after a wash like this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #23
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Glad to hear that it's standing up to the carwash! I'll be real interested to read your posting once you've towed with it on the hitch!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm curious about how it holds up on the hitch, too. I use the teflon disc so didn't really shoot the SprayWay on it for the normal lubrication reasons. When we left the factory service center I did not notice that they had not put my teflon disc back on the pin. We towed the Montana 650 miles without lube between the hitch saddle and the pinbox. It scratched the saddle pretty seriously, leaving bare, shiny metal on a considerable part of it. That area, of course, rusted very quickly in this humidity and with all the rain we had. So I sanded it down and painted it a flat black with a Rustoleum paint. I figured that paint might wear off rather quickly, even with the teflon disc, so I sprayed it with SprayWay, hoping it will hold up until I can figure out a better way to protect it.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #25
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
If you want I'll put your name on a couple cans of 101.

Charlie
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:59 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, I have two cans now and no doubt will still have about 1 1/2 at that time. So let others who don't have it have first shot. If you have some left over near the end of the rally I'll take two of them. Thanks for the offer.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:05 AM   #27
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
Amsoil Metal Protector is the best stuff you will ever find for any kind of metal lub. This stuff is just wonderful, I will never use anything else.
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:54 AM   #28
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
I went into Yahoo, typed in all the words - Sprayway 101-TFE dry lubricant release agent - got Sprayway information direct - buy by the case $89.99, or if you go into #1 on the yahoo info page - go into Sprayway's home page, you can buy it 3 cans - $25.89 minimum order - get it at the rally - cheaper......3 cans for $19.50 from our fellow Rv'r....at $6.50 a pop...
just thought this might help out everyone - we have been discussing this for days in our house because our slides are jumpin, and sqeaking, all kinds of noise - we live in Central Oregon - and catch cinder fibers in everything - so have been concerned after a year of use that we do something. Thanks again guys for all the great info, keep it comin...

Mike & Evy Orlob
Retired/Rv'ers/Race Fans
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:40 AM   #29
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
One more time: I just found the Sprayway under Support Products Inc. - ordered a case - 16 oz (assume it is 12 cans - couldn't find that info anywhere) - $63.82 - ave is $5.32 a can that way - still accessed it on Yahoo under the aforementioned input (just previous)......

Mike & Evy Orlob
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:46 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, in one of the threads someone posted a site selling the cans for around $6.50 per. I don't know if there was shipping on top of that or any kind of minimum order.

While you are waiting to get the lubricant, you can spray those slides with an ordinary silicone spray. That should help with the jumping and all. Spray the two square tubes under the slides and also the gears at the rig end of those tubes. Do not spray the round chrome bar although you might want to take a rag to that to clean it if needed.

Update on the 101 on the hitch. We put on about 1800 miles towing since I sprayed the saddle with the 101. We still have the teflon disc on the Montana, too. There is still lubricant on the saddle although it doesn't look uniform across the entire saddle. I need to look closer to see if the entire saddle still has lube and I'm just seeing marks from turning, etc. In any case, it clearly protected the rustoleum paint where I sanded off the rust (see earlier post) and repainted the saddle.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #31
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I found the web site and now need to find some it sounds like th only thing to use
http://www.spraywayinc.com/
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote