Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Water Hookup Panel Question

It's been 1 year since I took out my RV, and I've forgotten (embarassed!) which connector to use for city (campground) water hookup on the hookup panel.

Please see photo.

Question 1: Which is the city water connection (and why did Keystone put the sticker between the two connections??!?)
I think "B" is the city water connection.
I think "A" is the anti-freeze winterize connection (I think?)

Question 2: What exactly does switch "C" do?
I know it says "winterize", but what does it actually do (divert/bypass what)?
The water heater bypass switch is above at the top, so this switch is not the water heater bypass and it does something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171128_134412_rs.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	8878  

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The Freeze Guard sticker is in the wrong place. It should be just above the top inlet. The center inlet is your water inlet. The bottom inlet is your Black Tank flush inlet. Attached is a drawing, looking at the rear of your convenience center wall. It is plumbed the same as on our rig. Also, a photo looking at the front of ours, and also one looking at the plumbing at the rear. The plumbing diagram shows the valves and in the valves is a blue line which indicates what is the normal water flow. The Winterize valve, when turned ON, redirects flow from the water tank to from the Freeze Guard inlet which will draw in antifreeze with the water pump to put the antifreeze into your plumbing. When you do that, you should have also turned the Water Heater Bypass valve and drained the water heater with the anode rod removed. If you need to fill your fresh tank, with the city water hose connected, you can use the Fill position to add water, then return it to Normal Flow when you are done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing schematic.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	8888   Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center front view.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	8889   Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	8891  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
The Freeze Guard sticker is in the wrong place. It should be just above the top inlet. The center inlet is your water inlet. The bottom inlet is your Black Tank flush inlet. Attached is a drawing,...
Thank you very much Bob & Becky.

Took me a while to follow the path of the water from the diagram, but I got it, all makes sense. Very helpful, thanks for the diagram. I'm downloading it to keep in my "Keystone" folder on my PC for future reference.

That note about the Freeze Guard sticker in the wrong place is helpful! I am going to try and move the sticker to it's proper place (like on yours), or remove it and print a new one.

Yes, I have a gravity fill outside right next to the convenience center. I remember filling it with water and a cup of bleach to sanitize the tank when I first got this RV. After I de-winterize the RV in a few weeks, I'll be doing the same again. I'll make sure the tank-fill switch is Off when I de-winterize so I'm not pushing anti-freeze into the tank!

I remember a few years ago using the tank-fill switch On to fill the tank, and have to remove the cap of the gravity fill so the air in the tank can escape.

My RV is a 2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
Thank you very much Bob & Becky.

That note about the Freeze Guard sticker in the wrong place is helpful! I am going to try and move the sticker to it's proper place (like on yours), or remove it and print a new one.

You are not the first to be confused by those stickers. That question has been asked a number of times. They do not place them to make it obvious which connection is which.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
PhilandRudee
Established Member

M.O.C. #25562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
You are not the first to be confused by those stickers. That question has been asked a number of times. They do not place them to make it obvious which connection is which.
Always wondered why they would not color code them. Pink for winterize, white for city water and black for the tank flush. I'm sure it comes down to $ but would make a lot more sense when you are hooking things up.
PhilandRudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Can I use the Winterize Inlet to fill my Fresh Water Tank from a container of fresh water?

I was staying at a county park campground which did not have water or sewer hookups. I have a couple of 7-gallon Reliance Aquatainers and was wondering different ways to fill my fresh water tank with these. I was thinking of using a Drill Pump attachment to my drill or buying a transfer pump.

Then it dawned on me -- Based @rohrmann (Bob & Becky) schematic they drew earlier, I should be able to use the Winterize Inlet to fill the Fresh Water Tank from the 7-gallon Aquatainer containers, couldn't I?

To fill the Fresh Water Tank from a water container:
  1. Connect a drinking water hose to Winterize Inlet and put other end of hose in 7-gallon water container
  2. Water Heater By-Pass switch = ON / OFF
  3. Winterize switch = ON / OFF
  4. Tank Fill Power Fresh switch = NORMAL FLOW / FILL
So when I turn on the electric pump from the control panel inside the RV, shouldn't that pump water from the 7-gallon jug and fill the Fresh Water Tank?

Would this work?
Old 08-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Yes, it will work. Just make sure you have good connections with your hose. Sometimes you need to double the washers in the connection to get a good seal. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Mine may be set up a little different, but the winterizing inlet for the pink-stuff will not fill the fresh water tank.

The work around is to hook up the winterize hose in the bucket, but attach the blue coiled shower hose to the city "fill" inlet and flip the valve to fill your fresh water tank.

Start the water pump inside the camper so it will begin sucking (anti-freeze) or in your case (water from your container). Turn on the cold outside faucet for the blue hose, and it will pump the water into your fresh water tank.

This is how I do the sanitizing.

Side note: If your water heater every completely quits, and you REALLY need to take a warm shower, set this up exactly the same way after heating the water on your stove top. Instead of turning on blue hose, turn on the hot water in the shower (Put the winterizing system in by-pass first), You will have hot water in your shower until the bucket runs empty. Works fantastic in a REAL pinch..... which actually happened to us once.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Mine may be set up a little different, but the winterizing inlet for the pink-stuff will not fill the fresh water tank.

The work around is to hook up the winterize hose in the bucket, but attach the blue coiled shower hose to the city "fill" inlet and flip the valve to fill your fresh water tank.

Start the water pump inside the camper so it will begin sucking (anti-freeze) or in your case (water from your container). Turn on the cold outside faucet for the blue hose, and it will pump the water into your fresh water tank.

This is how I do the sanitizing.

Side note: If your water heater every completely quits, and you REALLY need to take a warm shower, set this up exactly the same way after heating the water on your stove top. Instead of turning on blue hose, turn on the hot water in the shower (Put the winterizing system in by-pass first), You will have hot water in your shower until the bucket runs empty. Works fantastic in a REAL pinch..... which actually happened to us once.
Wow. 3 great ideas to: Fill the tank. Sanitize. Emergency hot water.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #10
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Yes, it will work. Just make sure you have good connections with your hose. Sometimes you need to double the washers in the connection to get a good seal. Best of luck.
Great! I'll try this next time, need to get some spare rubber washers to keep on hand.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:10 AM   #11
Jessec

M.O.C. #26372
New idea for easier redo on the water lines

I recently had to redo a leak and since then had other leaks develop is there any other ways to redo the water lines with hoses that have some flexibility to pivot without causing another leak at other fitting to leak.
the pex tubing doesn't have much flex in short runs and the way they make the schematic is a night mare to work with , has anyone done something different, i am needing to replace a valve and want to have option, is there like a manifold system that would work?
2020 Montana 3780

Thank you

PLEASE E MAIL PHOTO OR PART NUMBERS IF ANY OF THE BY PASS VALVES AND IF HAVE REDONE THE WATER LINES JESSEC9108@GMAIL.COM
Jessec is offline   Reply With Quote