Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2005, 02:47 AM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Autoformer or surge suppessor

Does one need both a surge suppessor and a hugh's autoformer? Will the autoformer do both jobs? If both are needed, which one goes on line first? Dumb questions I'm sure. Thanks ahead of time for all replies.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:57 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Gene,

Try the search engine, this subject has been discussed here several times, some of the threads might be old enough that they are in the archives.

Or, you could visit our home page and look around for Al's improvements, he has an entire page dedicated to the installation of our Hughs Autoformer.

Others will be along soon to give you other ideas on installations, I am sure.

Cheers,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:47 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Gene: We have a Hughes autoformer. You don't need a suppressor as the autoformer controls any surges. When you first plug in the autoformer the yellow light comes on. The red light only comes on when the unit kicks in because of low power. you plug the autoformer into the park service and the unit into the autoformer. If you have a 30 amp it maintains 30 amp to your unit. Likewise with the 50 amp.
We use our autoformer 24/7. When we were in Az. 3 yrs ago on 30 amp service the autoformer never shut off. Sort of tells you something about the park. Hope this helps answer your question. If not get back to me.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:28 AM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Bill And Ann

Correct me if I`am wrong.But I was told that some parks will not allow you to hook up a autoformer.I have no idea why that would be.Any thoughts???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:23 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How do you all secure your autoformer from theft?
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have it chained to the power pedestal but plan to install it inside so I don't have to lug it back and forth.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Gene,

There are people who use both the A/F and a S/G because the Elect. Eng's. among us have determined that the A/F has a very minimal surge protection which may not do the job very well. They put surge and spike protection after the A/F if they are using the S/G with high/low voltage cut out. If you were to use a S/G without the high/low cut out then put it before the A/F.

I too have read a case or two where the A/F was seen by Park Managers and the RV'ers were told to remove it. The thinking (right or wrong) is that the A/F uses additional volts/amps to achieve it's goal of increasing your voltage, at the expense of others, reducing the Parks Voltage even further. This thinking is under debate. The A/F company says no, the EE's say yes.

Wish you well and Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I am an MSEE who specializes in Power quality. I will look this up in the specs Tuesday, but I can tell you, if a park is not supplying 120 V AC at 50 amps, and your autoformer kicks the voltage to 120 volts (it is a specially wound transformer), it will draw more than 50 amps. If the camp site breakers can handle it, you will indeed load down the camp voltage even more. The extra power has to come from somewhere. There is one situation where this is not true. If your load is primarily inductive (a lot of motors starting and stopping, etc. but not just runninng under constat load), it requires what is called imaginary power (yep, thats is what it is called). This will cause a short dip in camp voltage which will be reflected through out the camp ground.

I intend to put a simple AC meter , available at radio chack for about $20.00, accross the line each time I pug in, then turn everything on ans see what happens. If it stays above 109 volts, not to worry. If it drops below that, shed some load (turn off non-essentials like vent fans, exterior lights, battery charger, shif some items to gas) until itreturns to 110 volts or better. If it starts out below that, find another campground or use the autoformer.

Operating inductive loads (moters, etc. ) with low voltage can destroy them. Incidentally a lot of modern electronics have voltage leveling circuits in them but they are not always effective. Only the high end, expensive ones can be counted on.

The advise posted here on surge protectors is valid.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
RADHAZJOE, or others, we've been in parks where, on Thursday when the park is relatively empty, the power is fine. But come Friday evening and throughout the weekend the power is clearly weaker due to the park being full and everyone running the AC. So if someone arrives on Thursday, wouldn't it be wise to monitor voltage level throughout the stay rather than just during setup?

I have one of those AC meters plugged in constantly at the computer desk. Unfortunately it's not easy to see it. Out of sight, out of mind. I need to find a more visible location for it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Steve,

That's the beauty of the S/G. It does this for you. If the Voltage gets to low it shuts the door until the voltage returns to a more useful and safer level. We too have seen the dip in Volts during the late Afternoon when folks are comming in and cooling their Rigs down. We have had our S/G shut the door, which is a pain when it's right in the middle of a good TV show. But 2 min. and 13 sec. later it's back on. Don't know why the odd number of 2 min. 13 sec. maybe Joe our MSEE knows why. All I know is that it works.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Yes, Aztar, constant monitoring is best.

And yes, more campers, less power.

We do not use the autoformer in my line of work. I primarily concult for the Navy and the autoformer is not suited for high end loading, etc. I will look this stuff up on Tuesday and see if i can find more.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:26 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have never been told we couldn't use it. We also chain it to the power post.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote