Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Vacuum and Microwave.

Well I think I have a new one for the books but maybe not!!!
I have a new Montana 3120RL 20th Anniversary I picked up from the dealer and when I had it home doing some battery mods getting ready for a trip I plugged it in just to get it ready and cleaning I would always set the clock on the microwave just because I am anal about that stuff and every once in a while it would beep and go to back to no time but I was busy I figured I would check it later. Well a few days before the trip I kicked on the refrigerator wrong it was dead took it into the dealer and they took a month but replaced the refrigerator with a new one and it works great.....
Well here it comes foks, I was tinkering again adding stuff this and that cleaning and yes you are right the microwave shut off again but came right back on but everything else was ok TV, Fireplace nothing else went off...Well I was over at the floor vacuum and the A/C breaker box is near that area so I set the clock again on the MW jumped up and down on the floor and nothing MW was ok than I turned on the vacuum its a sweep in at the floor vacuum and yes the microwave turned off so everytime I run the vacuum the microwave shut down... I guess we know the dealer did not do a complete PDI

Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I don't think you can put that on the dealer. You can't expect him to run through every possible senario, just as you didn't on your PPI. The blame goes to Montanas installers. You should be able to rectify the problem by going into your electric panel and putting either the microwave or the vacuum on a different circuit.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sounds like there is a momentary power loss to the microwave. Unplug from power and open up the AC power distribution panel and tighten all screws on the breakers, neutral bar, and ground bar. I found a number of screws that were barely tight on mine.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I don't think you can put that on the dealer. You can't expect him to run through every possible scenario, just as you didn't on your PPI. The blame goes to Montanas installers. You should be able to rectify the problem by going into your electric panel and putting either the microwave or the vacuum on a different circuit.
I don't blame the dealer on the vacuum and microwave problem, but the refrigerator not working from the 1st time I tried should have been tested. I am sure the Vacuum and MW problem is a easy fix i would think the factory would have found the problem with MW-Vacuum.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Sounds like there is a momentary power loss to the microwave. Unplug from power and open up the AC power distribution panel and tighten all screws on the breakers, neutral bar, and ground bar. I found a number of screws that were barely tight on mine.
As long as the Vacuum is running the microwave has no power at all dead as soon as I turn off the vacuum the microwave comes back online.
Thank you on on tightening all the screws thats a good idea I will check them.
Here was the next thing I was going to try, unplug the microwave and pug it into different outlet near by and see if that works
Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Also, unless they have changed the way they wire these rigs up, which I really doubt, all of the 110/120v outlets are wired using the push-in connections.

I really hate that way to wire an outlet or switch in a house, let alone a house that rattles and bounces down the highway. If I were you I would do a couple of things:

1. Check and tighten every wire connection on your 110/120v circuit breaker box and 12v fuse box. I did that on my '09 when I took delivery, and found many to not be very tight and some downright loose. Don't forget to unplug from shore power and disconnect the battery bank first.

2. While you still have all power sources disconnected, pull and check all of the outlets that are in your M/W circuit to make sure the wires are secure at the push-in connections. I don't remember if the M/W is on a GFIC outlet/circuit, or not, but that may be something to look at as well. I have had strange results when GFIC outlets have gone bad before.

Good luck!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
The microwave and vacuum are on the same circuit and use a 20A power sharing switch. It sounds like they got the wiring reversed because the microwave is supposed to have priority over the vacuum. If you turn on the microwave, the vacuum will turn off. If your case it is reversed.

The switch is in the area under the stairs behind the panel in the front storage. All you have to do is reverse the two plugs that go into the module. It's probably a 5-10 minute job to take the panel off and reverse the connectors. The microwave should be on the primary and the vacuum on the secondary.

pics of the switch box and connectors are below.

I took the switch out and wired a separate breaker panel for switching between the inverter and gen/shore power so I had extra spots for dedicated circuits for each. There also a switch for the 3rd AC option if your unit has that. It shares between the 3rd AC and the front AC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190104_100016.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	2926   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190104_100027.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2927  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
The microwave and vacuum are on the same circuit and use a 20A power sharing switch. It sounds like they got the wiring reversed because the microwave is supposed to have priority over the vacuum. If you turn on the microwave, the vacuum will turn off. If your case it is reversed.

The switch is in the area under the stairs behind the panel in the front storage. All you have to do is reverse the two plugs that go into the module. It's probably a 5-10 minute job to take the panel off and reverse the connectors. The microwave should be on the primary and the vacuum on the secondary.

pics of the switch box and connectors are below.

I took the switch out and wired a separate breaker panel for switching between the inverter and gen/shore power so I had extra spots for dedicated circuits for each. There also a switch for the 3rd AC option if your unit has that. It shares between the 3rd AC and the front AC.
Will at lest you found out what the problem was and can fix.My self I don't like load sharing switch the micro should be on it own like it is in S\B. I see you have the same spaghetti wiring that we all have I redid all the wiring in mine.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote