Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Convience center

Is anyone aware of a video that explains the Convenience center? I bought my Montana from Camping World and the walk through lasted 5 minutes and some of the info the girl gave me is proving to be wrong.

LigonierMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
No video here. But since it does not contain all of the dump valves and the battery does not totally isolate the battery, I refer to it as the INconvience center.

If you ask a specific question you will get an answer.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Post a picture of yours and then ask all the questions you need. A picture will help get the proper answers.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
What Bill said and we can give you all the help you need!

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Mine has everything except 1 gray tank valve
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:28 AM   #6
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Thanks everyone. I will take pictures today. The generic manual doesn’t cover specifics for my 2018 3791RD.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
With the current state of more dealerships going the route mentioned in the OP , manufactures would be way ahead if they would do some online videos for their units. This could also be a training aid for their employees. This forum has helped me tremendously - thank you ALL
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Having a problem adding a picture to this message. In reference to the Convenience Center.
I understand most of the functions. I have a Grey and Black water tank pull valve, Satellite and Coach antenna hookup. Flush connection, City water,. Not sure what the red and blue valves that drain out the bottom. Tank fill power fresh (i think I know what this is.) Trying to figure out the Freeze Guard hose hookup, the winterize switch, and I know what the water heater bypass is for but not sure if it should be on or off for normal use. I would assume it should be off but wanted to verify. There is also an outside shower hookup and hot and cold valves. Got that one.
If i can figure how to put a picture on I will. It keeps asking for a URL location.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
I found a video that answered most of my questions on the Convenience Center. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There should be a sticker or a couple of them inside your convenience center that explains some of the functions. The two drain valves, on the red and blue lines are the low point drains from your water system. The position stickers near the valves show their normal positions. I am attaching a photo of our convenience center, also a photo of the rear view, plus a diagram of the plumbing in a one line drawing I made, which should be the same as yours. The drawing is the view from the rear of the convenience center wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water softener connection.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1165   Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1166   Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing schematic3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1167  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you click on Go Advanced below the message box and scroll down you will see Manage Attachments. You can search for the picture you want to attach there.

The red and blue valves are your low point drains to drain most of the water out of your lines.

Power fill is to fill your fresh water tank when hooked to city water.

Freeze guard is to winterize you rig. I bought a short white fresh water hose and cut it in half. I pour antifreeze in a bucket, connect one end of the hose to the Freeze Guard connection, drop the other end in the bucket of antifreeze, turn the switch to the winterize on position, and turn on the pump. Then I can go to each faucet one at a time and run water until I see pink stuff. Then close it and move on to the next one until I have run pink thru all faucets, the washer, the toilet, and the outside faucet.

Water heater bypass switch should be OFF until you winterize.

Edit: OK, Bob beat me to it and provided much better information.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
The red and blue valves/lines are the low point drain lines for your plumbing (not your water tank or ice maker but the rest of it). You should only need to use those lines when winterizing or perhaps when working on your plumbing (so you don't get water all over the place when you cut a line to fix it).

There is a low point drain under the belly of your beast for the fresh water tank. If you have an ice maker there will be a low water drain valve for it's line under there as well.

The freeze guard is where you hook up a hose that sucks antifreeze up out of a jug via the 12volt water pump to winterize your plumbing lines. There are some other threads on here that talk about winterizing in great detail. I have posted pictures of the winterizing port and how to remove the useless check valve that restricts flow. The winterize valve is between the port and the 12 volt pump. You hook a hose up to the port drop it in the antifreeze, turn the pump on open a sink inside then open the winterize valve and the pump will take the antifreeze to the open sink valve, repeat for each sink, shower and your washing machine hookup then finally the low point drains.

The hot water tank bypass is off for normal use (I think). You can verify by seeing if water comes out of the hot side of your outside shower. Be careful not to turn on your hot water heater elements until you know for sure the tank is full!!!! You turn the bypass on to winterize. Also you should pull the plug on the bottom of the tank to drain it for winter. It is a good idea to replace the anode (usually attached to that plug) every year as well.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Bill,

What is that blue foam you have on the incoming water line port? Looks like a good mouse deterrent! And what is the extra setup you have in the pass thru (water filter or softener?)?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Test to see if Pic uploaded

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...attach/jpg.gif

Thanks for the help. Hope to see everyone at 1000 Island
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2372.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2373.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2371.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1171  
Old 02-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Just a quick add - as noted above, the battery disconnect shown is one of two disconnects for the battery. This looks exactly like my 15- HC 353 convenience center. Not sure what this disconnect actually shuts down, but you probably have another disconnect located in front compartment near the battery. If you are going to shut down to save your batteries you need to turn both off to completely disconnect your batteries. Better yet to really isolate your battery - disconnect the leads. Things like your LP detector and TV booster may still pull power if you have the leads still connected to the battery. Just my 2 cents
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Hi Steve, big thanks. This is my first fifth wheel. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Picked it up as winter started and it was winterized.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #17
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
So in answer to your question about the convenience center layout the 3 hose connections on the right top one is to add antifreeze to your fresh water system for winter stored, middle one is for city water and to fill the water tank the switch to the right works to fill the water tank when you put it in the fill mode if it is in the normal mode city water is going to all the house plumbing, the bottom one is for the black tank flush, then you have a water heater bypass you use that after you drain it so you don't put antifreeze in the hot water heater, the winterize one on the right is for putting in the antifreeze, the red & blue lines in the right are your low point drains make sure you open all the faucets including the washer lines, the ones at the bottom are your tank drains and you should have one more outside just under the side buy the tires some wear, then in the very back of the house under neath there should be a main water tank drain, then you have cable & sat contentions on the right side and you have a battery cut off but it does not turn of everything you mite have a another one buy the battery.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4 6.7L
Old 02-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #18
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You will need to flush out the plumbing sys real good before you use it the first time to get all the pink out of it!
Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #19
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Wow, great info. This site really works.
Big thanks to all
Lynn Ferraro
Old 02-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #20
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
To add some more about de-winterizing is for you to not forget to drain the low point drains after you have drained everything else. There always seems to be a little bit more antifreeze that will come out.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote