Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Filling water tank

Ok I am new to this forum so if this post isn't in the right forum forgive me. Wife and I just bought a 2018 high country HM381TH (that's the floor plan with the basement garage under the rear bedroom). I have three questions regarding the water hose connections:
1. How do you vent the water tank when filling? Note: this unit has a valve that switches from city water supply direct to filling the water tank using the same hose connection so it does not vent thru the fill hose as far as I can tell.
2. There are 3 hose connections in the water service area. One is for winterizing, one is the connection mentioned above and the bottom one is, I think, a flush line for the black tanks?
3. If the connection I am asking about in question 2 is for the black tanks, is it possible to use the water pump via the outside wash down hose to flush the black tank so that you don't have to drag a hose from an external source (which usually has a flattened end on it which means you have to drag out and connect your own hose--sorta bad since the water connection is some 20' from the sewage drain!)?

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Somewhere on the outside of the unit close to where the water tank is located will be a piece of plastic shaped like an inverted U. That is the cover for the water tank vent.
Yes, that hose connection is for the black water flush. Word of warning. After using the black tank flush and then disconnecting the hose, watch out for water draining back at you. That is the anti-siphon valve doing its job. I have a short section of hose (18 inches or so) connected to this fitting. On the other end I have a quick connect fitting. That way when I finish flushing I can quickly disconnect the water hose and run the water away from the convince center.
You can use the convince center hose to flush the tank with the water pump but if you are connected to city water, you will not need the water pump. I carry extra hose (not drinking water hose) to flush the tank.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Bulrock,
Thanks for the reply.

I was talking about locations where you are at a dump station and not connected to the city water of course. Never fails that the public dumps have crushed ends on their flush hoses. That requires that you use your own hose. I have a black hose specific for that purpose (as in not my white drinking water hose) but it is only 10' (I added an aftermarket flush to my old camper that was right next to the dump line but the new camper flush is 20' from the dump line...) likely that you would need 25-30' of black hose and would have to go thru the trouble of disconnecting the community hose and hooking your own. Therefore the question about using the pump instead.

I like your idea of using quick connects and will study on that myself (hey I work in the oilfield IE: self defense school of plumbing LOL).

I have a related question though. Does the pump put out enough volume to effectively wash the black tank?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Yes the water pump does put out ampul pressure to flush your black tank I do it it all the
Time.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Thanks Bob.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
I run line from shower quick disconnect (remove shower head) to black tank that way I can use hot water from time to time for flushing. and one hose from city water to the house. looks cleaner and easier only having one hose enter the 5th wheel.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
I run line from shower quick disconnect (remove shower head) to black tank that way I can use hot water from time to time for flushing. and one hose from city water to the house. looks cleaner and easier only having one hose enter the 5th wheel.
I like that idea, thanks

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Tank flushing

When you flush the black tank, do you leave the drain open all the time or do you intermittently close it, let the tank fill a little, then re-open. I was told by the dealer to leave the valve open, connect my flush line and let it run for an hour or more. Does that sound like a good approach to getting an effective black tank flush? It would seem that you would want to close the valve to let it fill up some, then open the drain while still flushing. How do y’all do it?
MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Loveless,
Good idea, I was actually thinking the same thing myself. Being a graduate of the oilfield trash of self defense plumbing I will take it one step further and actually hard pipe the connection with PVC and add two valves where I can divert water to the washout or to a quick connect for a hose. That way I can clean the tank, drain hoses or just use the hose for it's original purpose of outside shower/wash.

Maxwell,
I actually do a combination of the two methods depending on how much time I have at the dump station or if I have septic hookup at the campsite (I also have a dump line at home just so I can do a better job without a rush). One thing I found on my old camper is it was difficult to keep the black tank level sensors clean. I have heard a LOT of conversations on that subject......
Old 10-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Yes I agree those sensors seem to work for a week at best Thanks for the help.
Max
Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #11
Jsh
Established Member

M.O.C. #20417
I have the same unit the vent for fresh water fill is under kitchen slide. When you overfill with fresh water it will come out there.
Jsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
JSH,
You have the 381TH?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
Jsh
Established Member

M.O.C. #20417
Yes 2017 model.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #14
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
I like to dump the tank then close the valve and let it fill a bit then reopen dump valve to get more of a flushing action going. be aware that when closing the dump valve the tank is filling up. a friend of mine forgot this, got side tracked and his wife started yelling the toilet is overflowing. I have always kept that in the back of my mind.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
JSH, Ok your my go to guy for model specific questions if that is ok.

Loveless, Yeah that would be a crappy situation (pun intended)....

Basically I like the idea of having some water to splash around while flushing and to help carry the solids out a little easier. Having worked with all sorts of tanks in the oilfield, I can tell ya it is always better to have a substantial volume of water to take solids out the line....

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Maxwell,
I hope I'm reading this wrong and your not keeping your dump valve open all the time.
that is a recipe for disaster if you are.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #17
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
No, it is closed most of the time, but emptied and flushed before leaving a site where I am hooked into sewer. It would seem that intermittently opening and closing the valve during this flush would work best, but agreed - this is not a time you want to get distracted!
Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #18
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Most of the campsites we visit don't have sewage at the campsite so we are usually visiting a dump station on the way out. Even when we do have sewage I tend to keep the tank closed off most of the time and just dump as it gets over about 1/2 full. On our old camper I had added a tornado flush fitting and routed it's hose connection close to the dump line so it was convenient. The new camper has the flush line built into the unit but it is way up by the water inlet connections. Upside is I can set this up like I mentioned above and use the onboard water pump to do the flushing. Good thing someone mentioned the blowback to me so I remember to install a check valve!! Thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #19
Jsh
Established Member

M.O.C. #20417
I will help you if I can. Have found out most myself by trial and error. Seen a lot of the inner workings a few weeks back when I installed a 5500 lp onan generator.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have wondered if you could use the wiring for the generator (prewired) to connect a non on board generator? We plan to buy a welder/generator and set it in the bed of our truck behind cab IE: in front of hitch. Would be nice to have a plug in on the trailers hitch so only a short cord.