Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Infestation...

Well today turned out to be a very nice day. I chose this day to winterize the camper. However, I had a couple of unexpected problems while trying to pump the pink stuff. One problem was that seemingly out of nowhere there was an infestation of lady bugs; hundreds of them. Every time I tried to do something one would land on my glasses or on the face or neck. It was quite annoying to say the least.

The other problem I couldn’t get the pump to pump from the jugs. The water pump kept vapor locking. I had to dump the pink stuff into the fresh water tank and once I opened an outlet it got rid of the vapor lock. Anyway I think I finally accomplished the winterization process in spite of all the critters and problems. At least I don’t have to worry about the water lines now until next spring.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Next time you winterize make sure the hose connection to the winterizing inlet has a very good seal. I had the same problem early on getting it to suck from the jugs. Finally figured out the screened rubber washer in the connection was too thick to get the fitting tight. If I pushed on it while the pump ran it would pump fluid. But if I released it it would suck air and stop. Replaced it with a thinner washer and no more problems. I also set the jugs near the same level as the outlet so it does not have to lift the liquid much.
Also found that I can get flow started faster by first opening a low point drain valve until flow starts. Does fine after I initially get it started.
Friend of mine his rubber washers had tiny little ridge lines on them and allowed air to leak. I rubbed it on a flat rock to sand the ridges off and it sealed fine afterward.
The least little bit of air leakage will prevent the liquid from being sucked up.
Can't help with the ladybugs.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bill were they ladybugs or those beetles we call soybeatles? They look just like the regular ladybugs but were imported from China to take care of some type of bug on the soybean plants and when the beans are harvested they come out of the fields in droves. They can get into anywhere andand everything and if you try and vacuum them up in the house, the place smells really bad. They also bite so if that is what you have spray around your house and the Monte with a good bugspray and hope for the best. They were all over our farm house last year because we had a soybean field right across the road from us!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
We know about infestation, apparently brought home a good portion of the stink bugs from Indiana. Have disposed of at least 35 in the Rv since being home. You think you have them all and then there's another one. Yuck!
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We have had a lady bug infestation before. What a mess.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Look at the bright side, at least you won't have aphids.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Bill, BB TX hit the nail on the head when he advised you to open the low point valves (both of them). I had the same problem with our 2007 3400RL. Once the pink stuff begin to flow, close the valve and you should be fine.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Bill were they ladybugs or those beetles we call soybeatles? They look just like the regular ladybugs but were imported from China to take care of some type of bug on the soybean plants and when the beans are harvested they come out of the fields in droves. They can get into anywhere andand everything and if you try and vacuum them up in the house, the place smells really bad. They also bite so if that is what you have spray around your house and the Monte with a good bugspray and hope for the best. They were all over our farm house last year because we had a soybean field right across the road from us!

Hey Rondo you might be right
I could have sworn one of them bit me today.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I actually took out the little screen and put a washer in place of it to seal it. It acted like it was tight but maybe that’s where the problem was. Seems like I tried everything but with the bug infestation I may have overlooked something. Anyway, I’ll try and file that away for next year.
Thanks guys!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
triumphess
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13202
Rondo, you have just explained the little bugs we have been noticing since last week ......when the farmer who owns the died directly behind our property harvested his soy beans!!
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I wonder why they are called "Lady" bugs?
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thought they were supposed to be good luck?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
After the M/A Rally in Marion 2 years ago , we had an infestation of Lady Bugs inside of our camper. Sprayed with Ortho Home Defence, vaccumed up remains, no more problems.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dick-- The Ladybugs are good luck but those pesky little soybean beatles are not luck at all, infact they are bad luck especially if you get them in your rig and they start flying around and biting! Once you spray them and they die you have to vacuum them up and they really make your unit stink. Don't know what they have in them but they are sure do make the air in the unit foul!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Be extremely happy they aren't stink bugs like we've got in the Mid-Atlantic.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
They are called Lady bugs probably because the "proper" name for them is Ladybird beetles, since most insects are often referred to as bugs, the shortened common name is Lady bugs.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

Be extremely happy they aren't stink bugs like we've got in the Mid-Atlantic.

We have them too!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
So, let me see if I've followed this conversation accurately;
If you are having problems with lady-bugs, its caused by a bad seal at a washer.

...or, if your'e having problems with a bad seal when adding anti-freeze... its probably caused by lady-bugs?

hory=mory! I never would have figured this out on my own!, but I've got it now!
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fauch

So, let me see if I've followed this conversation accurately;
If you are having problems with lady-bugs, its caused by a bad seal at a washer.

...or, if your'e having problems with a bad seal when adding anti-freeze... its probably caused by lady-bugs?

hory=mory! I never would have figured this out on my own!, but I've got it now!

Yeah, sorta or something like that I guess, maybe.