Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Both will do the job if the truck is spec'd for the load but the more miles you do (especially when not in the flat lands) the more you will appreciate the Diesel.

As for the 4x4 or 4x2 fight only you really know the answer to fit your needs. 4x4 will have more dive line friction that will have a slight effect on fuel economy. But if you prefer boondock/off the beaten path locations the 4x4 will make more sense. We RV'ed for 5 years with a 4x2 before purchasing our current truck and never had a problem. But again it is all about your lifestyle, for us RVing is all the luxuries of home while away from home, not "camping". Nothing wrong with "camping", just not our thing. We only stay in sites with full hook-ups and solid ground. So a 4x2 works fine for our needs. So make the decision on what will work for your needs.

As for maintenance I personally found using synthetic fluids reduced my cost in the long run. On my last 7.3L Ford I would change the oil once a year. I would change the filter (plus 2qt of oil for filter) before each big trip or every 5k miles. Had oil analysis done 3 or 4 times before I quit. Each time I was told the oil was fine (20k avg miles on the oil) with no signs of wear or metals in the oil. I was only changing the oil then due to my own mental hang-up of 20k miles and the fact the oil was a year old even though I could keep going on the oil. The same with the transmission. Original transmission with 200k miles with at least 20%~25% of the miles hauling heavy. When I sold the truck last year the buyer was so impressed he paid my asking price with no issues. Well over blue book.

RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Thrappas

M.O.C. #12533
Before we bought our 03 GMC 2500HD Diesel we had a GMC YUKON 5.7 Gas guzzler towing our 6500lb TT that whenever we climbed a hill the check engine light came on. Of course this was when diesel prices were the same as reg unleaded. My fuel economy only changed a 1/2 mpg between 6500 (TT) to 11500 (5th wheel). Diesels love to tow and will outlast gas engines. On a long haul I averaged 10.5+mpg carring all the weight. On a trip to Outter Banks my friends had to refuel while I said I'll fill next stop. With the 83K mi. it's just braking in where with gas I'd be worrying about braking down. Diesels are a costly upgrade, but the power and piece of mind in towing heavy loads it's worth it in my opinion. Good luck with your decision. I for one will never go back to gas.
Gary

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drjjj

I currently have a 07 3400RL that I tow with a 1999 Ford F250SD CC LWB with the 7.3 Diesel. The truck only has about 135K on it, and it pulls just fine, but I am starting to get new truck envy. A couple of people that I have spoken with have told me that unless you drive a lot of miles or need to pull more than 16K that the diesel option is not worth the extra $$ when you factor in the cost of fuel and maintenance over the years. Any of the smart people on this forum ever done the math? I should qualify that I intend to stick with a Ford, probably go F350 this time, LWB, CC, and 4WD this time (current truck is 2WD). Thanks for any and all advice
Thrappas is offline   Reply With Quote