Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Beginning Boondocker needs help

Our plan going to the rally will most likely require boondocking at a flying J and my sisters driveway. We haven't boondocked since our popup camper days (hand pump for water). Never even tried the battery or water pump on our TT. My plan is to stop at the RV lane at the Flying J, put some water in the tank, use the propane to heat water for a shower and only slide out the bedroom. Assuming its still hot out we will have to use the fantastic fan and a 12v fan in the bedroom for cooling (we have the second AC installed). We just have the one 12v battery.
Here's how little I know: How much water goes thru a garden hose per minute on average? I don't want to haul more water the rest of the trip than I need to.
Do you put the landing gear down just to boondock for the night? I'm assuming if you don't the rig will rock on the hitch when a heavy weight like me goes to the bathroom.
Do you leave the rig plugged into the truck or unplug it?
What else should I know I haven't even thought of yet?
Thanks for all your help!!!

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Water - use your on board gauges to get about 1/2 tank fill. Also suggest you fill your hot water tank and get your water lines pressurized (filled) via the city water connection before leaving home. If you don't fill the lines and tank then your on-board pump will have to do that and it will greatly increase the time to get your water system working. Towing with 1/2 a tank should not be a problem....so I suggest you get all this done before leaving home.

Over nighing hooked up...assuming you are reasonably leveled you don't need to put the landing legs down. Totally up to your likes.

Opening the slides in a flying J RV parking lot is considered bad manners as you will take up 2 spaces.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks that's what I needed to know. Now we've got the problem of where to stop. We can't get in the bed with the slide in and I don't think Joyce will let us stop behind the XXX video store. Don't want to see that on the "We saw you" post!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Some of the flying J's you can get a parking spot in an out of the way place with the slide on a grassy area or where there is no traffic then you can open the slide w/o interfering with anyone.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
There are others here who have more experience than we do, but here's what we have done:

When we're scooting and trying to make distance, we travel with as much water as we think we'll need. If we will be off the grid for 3 days, we fill up the tank. Yes, its over 400 pounds, but it doesn't seem to affect our mileage.

We typically remain hooked to the TV and extend all four slides for comfort. Like SteveS said, though, we don't do it if the lot is full. And, we have two Honda generators that we use to provide power for our satellite TV, ice maker for cocktails, and what have you. We like to park out of the way where we won't bother others. We don't mind being near the big trucks who are idling or using their generators.

We have stayed in the parking lots of Walmart, Target, Kmart, Cracker Barrel, and truck stops. We really like security patrolled rest stops. We wouldn't stay behind the XXX store simply because of some of the people that those businesses attract - people who have no compunction in breaking a window to steal stuff. BTW, we always put the netbook, GPS and other goodies out of sight and reach for our overnight stays. Some of the most restful sleeps have been at rest stops.

When we need more water or need to dump our tanks, we like to find a cheap CG. We never use water from a dump station even if it is marked potable. Once when a tornado went near our CG where we were staying for the week, we went to the local Walmart and bought two 5 gallon jugs of water, & used them to put water in our tank.

We're headed to the Rally from New York and will probably take a week or more to get there. We'll boondock most of the way as we have been this route a lot in the past. We are looking forward to finding a nice place by a lake for a few days.

You will want to keep an eye on your 12 volt gauge. While it is only an indication, you want to try to keep your voltage above 10.5 volts so that damage does not occur to your battery. We installed a voltage alarm to alert us if we get that low - we'll either start the TV or run a genny to charge our batteries (we have two golf cart ones).
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
JacknBetsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7632
We have stayed at many Walmarts but I always call ahead for permission. When we arrive I go inside, let the service desk know we are there and pick up a few groceries. We don't unhitch and have always put the sides out. We always leave early the next morning making sure our area is free of garbage and I have even put shopping carts back in the corral if necessary!
JacknBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
We do way more boondocking than campgound camping. Everyone is spot on in this thread, only thing I can add would be to disconnect the cable from the TV. Unless you have installed a battery isolator your TV and trailer batteries will be connected. You can drain the battery on your TV if not careful.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

We do way more boondocking than campgound camping. Everyone is spot on in this thread, only thing I can add would be to disconnect the cable from the TV. Unless you have installed a battery isolator your TV and trailer batteries will be connected. You can drain the battery on your TV if not careful.
We've never had a problem with any kind of draining of the TV battery by leaving the cable connected. There should be no voltage from the TV to the rig if the TV is turned off. I could be mistaken -- I have been before!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

We've never had a problem with any kind of draining of the TV battery by leaving the cable connected. There should be no voltage from the TV to the rig if the TV is turned off. I could be mistaken -- I have been before!

Orv
Hellroaring Battery Isolation

I've always put an isolator on my truck. Possibly the newer trucks have some type of protection for this. I've never put a voltmeter on the charge pin when the truck is off to know whether or not that wire stays connected to the battery without the use of an isolator.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'll agree with Orv on this one, but when my ignition is off both 7pin connectors are dead (no voltage anywhere). I think this should be checked by each owner just to be sure.

Even though this is the case, and I am stopping overnight leaving the rig hooked together, I do unplug the thing, but like Orv implies this is probably not needed. I just never thought about it, since I use the need to reconnect it as an excuse to recheck the lights and the hitch connection.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I'll agree with Orv on this one, but when my ignition is off both 7pin connectors are dead (no voltage anywhere). I think this should be checked by each owner just to be sure.

Even though this is the case, and I am stopping overnight leaving the rig hooked together, I do unplug the thing, but like Orv implies this is probably not needed. I just never thought about it, since I use the need to reconnect it as an excuse to recheck the lights and the hitch connection.
I believe Ford, more specifically, late model Fords have an isolation switch when the engine isn't running... My Chevy does not which was proven today when I plugged my portable compressor into the trailer plug when the truck wasn't running and the compressor worked...

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We personally know 1999 through 2012 Ford's shut off the 12V feed through the 7 pin connector when the ignition switch is off. Dodge and Chevy do not. We have connected our 12V pumps to so many rigs in Quartzsite to pump water from the bladders and have proven this behavior numerous times. So if you own a Ford, there is no need to disconnect the RV cord when you stop for the night (unless of course you decide to unhook ).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In my '06 Ford there is one of the 12v accessory plugs in the cab, that remains hot even when the engine is off. I have to be careful to unplug whatever is there to not run down the battery, but your comments about the 7 pin plugs seems to be pretty accurate.

If I didn't want to run the engine, I have used this hot accessory outlet for any short term 12v need (i.e. power inverter). You still gotta be aware of the discharge rate and keeping the battery safe.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote