Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #41
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Greg,

Kat made it...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #42
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Greg,

Kat made it...
Wow! A Kat original, I guess I know good work when I see it

Maybe have to sell those at some of the RV shows??

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #43
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I still can't figure out how to see if a given generator will start, and run a certain item. If I get the two honda 2000's, would it have enough power to run one 15k AC unit? I'm thinking if it can do that, you don't need to have both units running all the time. Could use it during the day for the main AC at 15k, and then switch to the bedroom unit at night at only 13.5k. Also, I think people are putting the 2000's in the normal gen compartment on the fifth wheels - is there enough ventilation if you leave the comparment open so it can cool and breathe?

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #44
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Danger Will Robinson!!! It is not recommended to run any kind of generator in the compartment without a proper exhaust system. The built in Onans exhaust system takes the fumes out to the edge of the rig (even then an extension above the rig is very desirable). A portable generator running in the compartment (even if it is open) puts the fumes directly beneath occupied areas of the rig. I believe there are members who transport the generators in the compartment, but I hope and believe that they are removing them before using them. My opinion only, but I will emphasize that this is a strong opinion. CO is not a friendly gas!! There are also amperage and wattage charts that will give an idea of what can be run by generators. The Honda 2000's each put about about 13.5 amps and 1600 continuous watts so in tandem you have 27 amps and about 3200 watts. Do a search for wattage requirements and you can do your own research. I will say our 3000w kipor would run the 13,500 btu AC but would not run the 15,0000 btu AC, yet others have reported that 3000w will run the 15,000 btu AC. Posting our experience only.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #45
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Bingo is correct do not run any generator in the genny compartment that is not properly ventilated. A portable generator is going to be much more difficult to properly ventilate in the compartment. Two would be twice the fun!

As for cost justification of adding a generator, I see it no different as adding a pool to your home. You will never recover the cost of the generator/pool when you go to sell the unit. Enough savings of having your own will never be achieved over the life of the unit to justify the expense financially. But the one thing you can not put a dollar value on is the convenience. One of my winter projects this coming winter is to add a Diesel GenSet to our truck. Especially going diesel we will never recoup the cost, but the convenience of having it will be priceless to us.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #46
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Yea, do not run a generator that has not been properly installed, like the factory Onan is.
For generator capacity versus load you can get some info from any of the generator web sites.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #47
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Danger Will Robinson!!!

Thanks Bingo, I once again truly appreciate you taking the time to help this newbie. I think I assumed when people said the 2000's were in the gen compartment they were using them there, I'm sure you're right now that I understand the venting that they just store them there. Thanks again for your help!

Greg
Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #48
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

Bingo is correct do not run any generator in the genny compartment that is not properly ventilated. A portable generator is going to be much more difficult to properly ventilate in the compartment. Two would be twice the fun!

As for cost justification of adding a generator, I see it no different as adding a pool to your home. You will never recover the cost of the generator/pool when you go to sell the unit. Enough savings of having your own will never be achieved over the life of the unit to justify the expense financially. But the one thing you can not put a dollar value on is the convenience. One of my winter projects this coming winter is to add a Diesel GenSet to our truck. Especially going diesel we will never recoup the cost, but the convenience of having it will be priceless to us.
Thanks Rick,

Yeah, I've already decided it is definitely worth the cost of adding the generator, it is something we don't have to have, but would make things a lot nicer. I'm just trying to learn all the pros and cons of doing the onboard vs. portable as they both have their merits. Thanks for your reply.

Greg
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #49
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

Yea, do not run a generator that has not been properly installed, like the factory Onan is.
For generator capacity versus load you can get some info from any of the generator web sites.
Thanks camper4, I will try some of the gen web sites. It looks like if I have two 2000's I should have enought to start and run a 15k AC but that is where I'm not sure if I understand the capacity and load.

Apprciate the reply!

Greg
Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #50
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I don't know if you have decided what generator you are going to purchase yet, but I have an offer for you. I have an Onan 4000 gas powered that you can purchase for $700.00. It comes complete with exhaust system and all wiring including hour meter and remote start. I took it out of a coach I owned several years ago and it has been sitting in my garage. I'm fairly sure the carburetor will need to be rebuilt, but at this price you can put money in it and still be ahead. The other bad news is you have to pick it up at my house in northern Indiana. Let me know if your interested.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #51
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wiesehan

I don't know if you have decided what generator you are going to purchase yet, but I have an offer for you. I have an Onan 4000 gas powered that you can purchase for $700.00. It comes complete with exhaust system and all wiring including hour meter and remote start. I took it out of a coach I owned several years ago and it has been sitting in my garage. I'm fairly sure the carburetor will need to be rebuilt, but at this price you can put money in it and still be ahead. The other bad news is you have to pick it up at my house in northern Indiana. Let me know if your interested.
Don
Thanks Don, appreciate the offer, but we're clear over in Washington State. We had been considering picking up a trailer out your way, but as of now are trying to strike a deal in the local area.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #52
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
As has been said above by Bingo and others, DO NOT run your portable generators in the the gen compartment! I use it only to store and transport my two Honda 2000s. CO gas is an oderless silent killer. I always position the generator far enough downwind from the trailer such that the exhaust travels away, not toward the Monty and me!
Also, I would not intend to run my AC off the Honda pair very long or, continuously, only for a Monty "cool down". They hold only a 0.9 gal each and are not recommended to run for more than 30min at FULL load. They are a backup only for this purpose. I also have a security cable if needed, but normally they are "out" only for a short time while running, and if they were to get "legs" I think I would know it right quickly inside! Then Plan B kicks in, but that's another subject.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #53
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
In our experience, we have run our Hondas for days in a row when it gets hot without interruption to power the A/C. We have a six gallon marine tank hooked up to our gennys. With a total of a little over 2 gallons in the gennys (it states 0.9 gals each, but I fill them to the top), about 6 gallons in the marine tank and a spare 2 gallon tank, we can run one A/C and the rest of our stuff in the 5er for a couple of days, continuously. Of course, every 100 hours I change the oil!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #54
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

As has been said above by Bingo and others, DO NOT run your portable generators in the the gen compartment! I use it only to store and transport my two Honda 2000s. CO gas is an oderless silent killer. I always position the generator far enough downwind from the trailer such that the exhaust travels away, not toward the Monty and me!
Also, I would not intend to run my AC off the Honda pair very long or, continuously, only for a Monty "cool down". They hold only a 0.9 gal each and are not recommended to run for more than 30min at FULL load. They are a backup only for this purpose. I also have a security cable if needed, but normally they are "out" only for a short time while running, and if they were to get "legs" I think I would know it right quickly inside! Then Plan B kicks in, but that's another subject.
Thanks Sheepdog, appreciate the reply. I had no idea that the portable generators would be so much different as far as exhaust requirements compared to the onboard units.

"Then Plan B kicks in, but that's another subject."

Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #55
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

In our experience, we have run our Hondas for days in a row when it gets hot without interruption to power the A/C. We have a six gallon marine tank hooked up to our gennys. With a total of a little over 2 gallons in the gennys (it states 0.9 gals each, but I fill them to the top), about 6 gallons in the marine tank and a spare 2 gallon tank, we can run one A/C and the rest of our stuff in the 5er for a couple of days, continuously. Of course, every 100 hours I change the oil!
Wow, that's very impresive that these little generators can handle that much. Good to know it is possible to use these for extended use. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #56
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Still considering the onboard Onan due to convenience and back issues. We will have both AC units - the 15k and the 13.5. I thought the Onan 5500 propane could handle this, but then I saw in their literature for the 5500:

"Air conditioner starting: One 13500 Btu air
conditioner with 3000 W base load or two 11000 Btu air
conditioners with 1500 W base load at 100° F (38° C) at
500 ft (152.4 m) elevation"

I am assuming people have been able to run the 15k AC with the Onan, but according to this it is not able to or at least not recommended. I actually even thought you could run both the 15k and the 13.5 - is this not possible then?

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #57
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Still considering the onboard Onan due to convenience and back issues. We will have both AC units - the 15k and the 13.5. I thought the Onan 5500 propane could handle this, but then I saw in their literature for the 5500:

I am assuming people have been able to run the 15k AC with the Onan, but according to this it is not able to or at least not recommended. I actually even thought you could run both the 15k and the 13.5 - is this not possible then?

Thanks for your help!

I run my 15K AC without problem, the 5500 LP states it will run two air conditioners with power to spare, not sure where you are getting your information, but I did not look very hard other then the general specs, which stated the above.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #58
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Thanks for your help!

I run my 15K AC without problem, the 5500 LP states it will run two air conditioners with power to spare, not sure where you are getting your information, but I did not look very hard other then the general specs, which stated the above.
Thanks PSFORD99,

I saw where it said it will run two ACs too, so I thought I was okay. But then in the specs on Onan's site it says the two ACs are only 11k btu.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/...ets/a-1425.pdf

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #59
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here's something to consider when quantifying how bad a generator is stressed. In all generator conversations so far the high number is usually the peak rating and most generators can run long periods of time at their run rate (not peak). This is also true of appliances or anything using electricity. So when two air conditioners are running full bore they are not running at peak amperage. It's only when they start up and if they both start up at the same time, the amperages then reduces at the cooling is performed.

If you consider that 4000 watt combinations (2 EU2000s or a single 4000w generator) are equal to supporting a 30 amp trailer, and 2 EU3000s or a single 5500 to 6000 watt generator can support a 50 amp trailer, when it comes to 30 amp, you can typically run 1 A/C. With 50 amps, you can run two A/Cs. You only have to worry about things if you decide to run the blender, washer, dryer, coffee maker, vacuum, etc. ALL at the same time. How often does anyone do that? The first time the circuit blows should be the reminder of this. Don't push anything and you should be fine.

Be conscious of your load, what else is running, at all times and you should be okay. Get lax, careless or inattentive and that's when you have problems. But that's true of everything.

This has been another highly educational topic on something we should not take for granted. A little of this knowledge should go a long way.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #60
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Here's something to consider when quantifying how bad a generator is stressed. In all generator conversations so far the high number is usually the peak rating and most generators can run long periods of time at their run rate (not peak). This is also true of appliances or anything using electricity. So when two air conditioners are running full bore they are not running at peak amperage. It's only when they start up and if they both start up at the same time, the amperages then reduces at the cooling is performed.

If you consider that 4000 watt combinations (2 EU2000s or a single 4000w generator) are equal to supporting a 30 amp trailer, and 2 EU3000s or a single 5500 to 6000 watt generator can support a 50 amp trailer, when it comes to 30 amp, you can typically run 1 A/C. With 50 amps, you can run two A/Cs. You only have to worry about things if you decide to run the blender, washer, dryer, coffee maker, vacuum, etc. ALL at the same time. How often does anyone do that? The first time the circuit blows should be the reminder of this. Don't push anything and you should be fine.

Be conscious of your load, what else is running, at all times and you should be okay. Get lax, careless or inattentive and that's when you have problems. But that's true of everything.

This has been another highly educational topic on something we should not take for granted. A little of this knowledge should go a long way.
Thanks Art, nicely explained.