Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I REMEMBER THEM WELL

THINGS YOU DON'T HEAR ANYMORE

Be sure to refill the ice cube trays, we're going to have company.
Watch for the postman, I want to get this letter to Willie in the mail today.
Quit slamming the screen door when you go out!
Be sure and pull the windows down when you leave, it looks like a shower is coming up.
Don't forget to wind the clock before you go to bed.
Wash your feet before you go to bed, you've been playing outside all day barefooted.
Why can't you remember to roll up your britches legs? Getting them caught in the bicycle chain so many times is tearing them up.
You have torn the knees out of that pair of pants so many times there is nothing left to put a patch on.
Don't you go outside with your school clothes on!
Go comb your hair; it looks like the rats have nested in it all night.
Be sure and pour the cream off the top of the milk when you open the new bottle. Take that empty bottle to the store with you so you won't have to pay a deposit on another one.
Put a dish towel over the cake so the flies won't get on it.
Quit jumping on the floor! I have a cake in the oven and you are going to make it fall if you don't quit!
Let me know when the Fuller Brush man comes by, I need to get a few things from him.
You boys stay close by, the car may not start and I will need you to help push it off.
There's a dollar in my purse, get 5 gallons of gas when you go to town.
Open the back door and see if we can get a breeze through here, it is getting hot.
You can walk to the store; it won't hurt you to get some exercise.
Don't sit too close to the TV. It is hard on your eyes.
If you pull that stunt again, I am going to wear you out!
Don't lose that button; I'll sew it back on after awhile.
Wash under your neck before you come to the table, you have beads of dirt and sweat all under there.
Get out from under the sewing machine; pumping it messes up the thread!
Be sure and fill the lamps this morning so we don't have to do that tonight in the dark.
Here, take this old magazine to the toilet with you when you go, we are almost out of paper out there.
Go out to the well and draw a bucket of water so I can wash dishes.
Don't turn the radio on now, I want the battery to be up when the Grand Ole Opry comes on.
No! I don't have 10 cents for you to go to the show. Do you think money grows on trees?
Eat those turnips, they'll make you big and strong like your daddy.
That dog is NOT coming in this house! I don't care how cold it is out there, dogs don't stay in the house.
Sit still! I'm trying to get your hair cut straight and you keep moving and it is all messed up.
Hush your mouth! I don't want to hear words like that! I'll wash your mouth out with soap!
It is time for your system to be cleaned out. I am going to give you a dose of Castor oil tonight.
If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you'll get another one when you get home.
Quit crossing your eyes! They will get stuck that way!
Soak your foot in this pan of kerosene so that bad cut won't get infected.
When you take your driving test, don't forget to signal each turn. Left arm straight out the window for a left turn; left arm bent up at the elbow for a right turn; and straight down to the side of the door when you are going to stop.
It's: 'Yes Ma'am!' and 'No Ma'am!' to me, young man, and don't you forget it!
Y'all come back now, ya hear !!

Bring back any memories ??? Sure did for me !!!

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I’ve seen a lot of changes during my life time! I remember when we only had B&W TV and able to watch only 1 station; I don’t mean Tow Vehicle either. Of course some of ya may remember no TV!
Bill
Old 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
we never had tv till i was a freshman in high school and it was b & w and 1 station but it was on from noon till 9;00 pm . then it was test patern and we had tin foil on the rabit ears too sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! The good 'ol days.

And my Grandmother saying, "Where's that willow switch!"

BFTV (before Television) I would lay on the living room floor in front of the "vintage" upright radio, and listen for hours, pretending to do my homework:

"The Adventures of Gracie"
"The Lone Ranger"
"Armstrong Theater"
"Hopalong Cassidy"
"The Green Hornet"
"The Green Lantern"
"The Al Jolson Shoe"
"Arthur Godfrey"
"The Whistler"
"The Cisco Kid"
"Dragnet" One of my favorites
"The Shadow" Another favorite
"Fibber McGee and Molly" Or the "Bickersons" which I have four augio tapes of. The humor back then was all inuendos and laugh a minute.
"Red Ryder"

And the list goes on and on and on. We got the first "modulated milk bottle" (tv) around 1939. I think it was an RCA, maybe a Philco. Also do remember the aluminum foil but we did not have the rabbit ears. My dad had permission to put a TV antenna on the roof, but the foil was used on the twin lead. Hey! It worked.

And don't forget Mom saying, "Did you close the ice box door, I don't want all the ice to melt before tomorrow's delivery."

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Do you remember how you told the ice man how much ice to bring into the house (25lb, 50lb, etc) on his delivery?

Does anyone remember making ice cream, flavored with Kool Aid using the recipe on the back of the Kool Aid package, in the ice trays in the refrigerator?
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
My mother used to remind us to "save the tin foil" when we unwrapped any leftovers that had been covered or wrapped with aluminum foil. We also had to save all bread wrappers/sacks, rinse them out, turn them inside out to dry, and then pack our school lunches in them the next day. (Yuk--those sacks always felt oily and dirty.)

Did anyone ever spend summer evenings outdoors catching "lightnin' bugs" and putting them in Mason jars? How about catching "June bugs" and putting them down the back of some unsuspecting soul's shirt? I've read that Montana does have lightning bugs, but I have never seen one here. And June bugs--I don't even know if they exist anymore. We were in Texas last summer and never saw one. They used to be everywhere when we were young--on the window screens, clinging to our clothes, sailing into the house when someone left the "screen door" open (and that was always a wood-frame screen door with a hook-and-eye-latch that you could WHAM from the outside to open that latch if it were closed).

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote