Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Slider Hitches with Shortbed Trucks

Are slider hitches necessary with short bed trucks? RV America in Longment, Colorado say they won't install a 5th wheel hitch on a short box truck unless it is a slider. I am getting the feeling from the forum that it is not needed. What are the pro's and con's? Sounds like a lot of you like the B & W hitch.
Jay D.

Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I would not own a short bed without a sliding hitch. I have seen way too many trucks and trailers damaged from short bed trucks NOT equiped with a slider. Way to many back seats full of broken rear window glass.

Here is my answer I use everytime this subject come up.....
If you look at my signature you will see my 3485SA Montana is hooked to my short bed GMC using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding hitch.
I am firmly convinced that the PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch is the only hitch for short bed trucks. Although an automatic sliding hitch may cost a little more up front, it has some decided advantages.
First, it rules out the possibility of forgetting to slide the hitch rearward before turning. To me this peace of mind of never having to remember to get out of the truck and manually push or pull some lever to activate the slide mechanism is worth every penny of the difference in price. Not to mention the temptation of leaving a manual slider in the potentially unsafe rearward position during highway driving. Also, there are times when manually operating the hitch is virtually impossible, such as during emergency U-turns or when the trailer jackknifes on icy roads. Under these conditions, the extra cost of an automatic sliding hitch could easily be recouped in damages prevented.
Just forget to pull that manual lever one time and take out the rear window, like this guy did, or do body damage to either or both the truck and trailer and I promise you will wish you had that automatic slider. The SuperGlide has an automatic rearward travel of up to 14" while making a turn, going forward or in reverse, that's 50% farther than the manually adjusted "slider" designs. In most all cases, turns as tight as 90 degrees are possible.
The SuperGlide also features the unique, gear driven, automatically locking, latching mechanisms. You won't be dropping the trailer accidentally on the bed rails because there is no safety lever, pin, or locking handle to mess with. The way it works is the SuperGlide wraps 140 degrees around the king pin totally enclosing it into the latch. There is no "clam shell" closure that might open if you forget to lock the release handle in place. The reason the clam shell hitches have potential of dropping the trailer is all the force is pulling against the opening of the latch. When you back into the SuperGlide you can watch the release handle slide close at which point you are locked in. You can also get out and look directly into the opening where the king pin slides into place and see the silver latch totally wrapped around the king pin. This positive locking mechanism is as close to foolproof as you can get. If the release handle is all the way in, the hitch is locked, period. Unlike the "clam shell" mechanism, a pull test to be sure you are locked in is unnecessary.
Another plus is when the hitch is out of the truck "everything" is out of the truck. Absolutely nothing, no rails, no nothing left in the bed to interfere with whatever you want to haul.
You almost have to see it to believe it, either go to your RV dealership and take a look at the display model or contact PullRite and request their FREE video showing the hitch in action. In the mean time read this PullRite Article in RV Lifestyle.
When you consider the total overall cost of the your 5er, your tow vehicle and a manual slider what is another few hundred bucks for the safety, security and peace of mind of a PullRite SuperGlide hitch?

And NO I do not have any financial interest in PullRite other than being a 200% happy user/owner in a SuperGlide.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My truck is a long bed..if it was a short bed it would have the slider hitch. We just helped Jim(Boylanag) shoe horn his Montana into a parking spot here in this RV park and if he did not have a slider hitch he would not be in the spot.(very tight fit) Jim did all the work but it wore me out watching.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jay-- I own a 2007 - 2500 H/D, crew cab Chevy with a short bed. I wouldn't be with out it! I didn't have the money at the time for the fancy one like Glenn so I had a Reese 15 slider put in. Granted I have to get out and set the slider each time I'm doing any manuvering but it's a whole lot easier to do the backing and etc. I even engage the slider into the rear setting when I pull out of a spot just to make sure I have the turning radius with the Monte hooked up. The main reason I bought the slider was because I was a gas station filling up one day and a Ford short bed pulled in next to me towing an SOB and the rear slider window was broke out and the cab was damaged. Besides that the SOB had a rally nasty dent and cut in the front when it hit the truck. I asked what happened and he said he had forgot about engaging the slider and pulled out of his parking spot and "Bam". Now it was going to cost him about $3000 to have both TV and SOB fixed. That convinced me real quick on the slider!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jay D,

Remember those guys (RV America) are new to the Montana line, and probably saw thier first ones at the show a few weeks ago. (just the impression I got) However it's probably not a bad overall policy for them.

We have the shortbed truck and the "new nose" Montana. Our sliding Reese is CRITICAL.

We weren't even this close with our "old nose" Montana. The difference is the pin box. The lighter GVWR Montanas (
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I also have the Reese 16k slider in my sb. I have been towing a Montana since 2001 and have never used the slider. Our 3280 has the extended pinbox so it seems like we have a good turning radius. I guess I don't mind jockeying in a campsite. However, I would never pull a 5er without a slider. Better to have and not need than to be sorry you didn't have one!
Cons: cost of repairing the damage!
Pros: It's there when you need it and the extra cost is justified by keeping your sanity!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
I guess I might be considering the cost. Thats the old tight wad in me. LOL I am going to splurge and get an 09 Dodge 3500 and an 09 Big Sky 340. We're about 15 months away from full timing. Thanks for everyone's input. The pictures sure tell a story. With all the different life expienerence's everyone has to offer; there isn't a topic that we can't get good sound advice on.
Thanks again !!
Jay D.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I think RV America is just concerned about liability issues. How many times have you heard about someone buying anything,getting damaged and then returning to the seller saying you should have told me that this could happen. Even when thay did. You know, better to be safe then sorry..
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
Jay, we went through the same decision process six years ago. We ended up with a non-slider Husky 16K hitch on a '02 GMC short bed pulling a '02 3255RL with an extended hitch pin. We never had a problem but were always careful to watch our clearance.

We now have a '08 2955 with an extended hitch pin and the new nose pulled by the same truck/hitch combo. Last trip I watched it closely while turning and backing and the nose never came remotely close to the cab.

You've gotten good advice from the forum. My 2 cents...

First, some hitches have "ranges" of locations they can be mounted in the truck bed (and it varies by truck manufacturer). I seem to recall my options were 4 inches forward to 2 inches aft of the axle. Obviously the further forward the less cab clearance, the further aft, the more cab clearance, but also consider the impact of mounting it in the aft most position. Putting the center of weight from the pin aft of the axle creates a longer moment-arm that could result in towability and weight distrubution concerns. (I had mine mounted right over the axle)

Second, (and this was mentioned previously) is the extended hitch pin. I think on the '08s the only Monty available with the extended hitch pin is the 2955. One of the other models might have it available, also.

Bottomlines: No extended hitch pin and hitch has to be mounted in front of the axle, get the slider. Extended hitch pin available, new nose, and hitch has a range of mounting options...slider might not be required.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We traded our 2955RL for our present 3295RK. When towing the 2955 I had all kinds of room between truck and trailer. I did buy the SuperGlide at the onset. When we hitched up the new 3295 I actually had to get out and convince myself that the slider was going rearward in turns. The 5th was looking uncomfortably close to me.

I vote for the slider.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
This is all " good" information. keep it coming.
Thanks
Jay D.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Hi Jay D. I felt that if I had to think about it, I'd have a problem some day, so I opted for the 5th Air Borne Sidewinder Pin set. It moves the pivot point back about 20 inches, allowing for a full 90 degree turn. So as you can see, there are a number of solution out there, sliders, extended pins, Sidewinders, etc. Look carefully at them and decide which is best for you.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
We have had the PullRite 16K Slider Hitch in our 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 3500 Short Bed for the past four years as fulltimers. It was pricy to put in, but we decided there was already enough to worry about when you move the rig on a regular basis - we didn't need to worry about the Monty hitting the truck's rear window or cab in tight turning situations or while backing into tough campsites. We have loved the hitches' performance and would do it all over again. Besides, it may be pricy to put in, but if you dent your truck or knock out the window even once - the pricier hitch is justified!
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Forgot to mention, one other feature that we know is a plus specifically to a PullRite Slider Hitch - It requires a special plate to be attached to the pinbox (our dealer welded this triangular plate on) which makes it virtually impossible to have another pickup with a fifthwheel non-slider hitch "steal" your rig. If you plan to boondock, that's a comforting feeling.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I also forgot to mention another good thing about the manual Reese hitch, you can hook up and unhook at an angle. If I remember right, some auto slides. you need to back in straight or pull out straight. Now I could be wrong about that and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
You can get the new remote acuator for your sliding reese hitch and install and have a hitch that you can slide without leaving the cab of you tv and hook and unhook at an angle. For a lot les $$$$$$$$$
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We have a pull-rite and you can get out at a 16 deg angle but you can turn over a 90 deg corner as we have as we got caught in a little parking lot and had to watch the cab but we got out , a guy there said we were at about 110 to 120 deg as we were between two block walls and could not back out as it was 4 lanes and a very steep hill up so we got jimmed it around john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jay, since you're looking for information on hitches, here's mine. I have an 05 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Short bed and a 06 3400RL, the one with the new designed cap. I have a Husky manual slider hitch that I have never had to use. I watch my turns and try not to get myself into tight predicaments. I may need to use it someday, but so far, not. This is not to say that I wont need it someday, only that in about 14000 miles i have not used it yet. If I was upgradig to a new truck I think I would look into an automatic slider, probably the Pullrite.. You are smart to do your due diligence in this matter as repairs can be costly....Good luck with your decision.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #19
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Spend the extra cash and get the slider hitch. Then spend the extra time and money and go to Tarpley RV in Durango and get the new Montana. RV America is a rip off. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #20
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
We have a short bed, Super Pull Right, and 5th Airborne. DW does 90% of the driving a 99% of the backing. When I discussed the option of buying these when we got our Monty, she didn't hesitate a second. Knowing we both are guilty of an occasional lapse in memory she insisted on spending the extra cash. Each time she has driven the rig and backed it she can't get over how well the system works.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote