Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Snow on the Monty!

Well I know its December 1, but boy are we getting hammer with snow here. I finished preping her for the longer winter nap last week. I sure hope spring comes fast. Right now I have 82 weeks till retirement (but who's counting)!

Some day not in the too distant future, I will take the money I would have spend on RV antifreeze and by beer and food and go South!

Happy Day

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
RKassl

We are getting ready to head south in a few weeks. I've left my slides out while we pack. We have toppers on the slides, I wonder if the snow we are supposed to get will hurt the toppers or slides. Any ideas?
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Butch, if you have shore power, I'd recommend putting the slides in at night at a minimum. Don't want the toppers to get wet then freeze.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
I just put my slides in tonight lots of snow,it fell off ok,but the motor worked hard,its about 18 degrees here.If we don't get to much freezen rain tomorrow we are heading south to FL. monday am.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Toppers will be fine with snow and ice. Warning, do not have any one standing NEAR said 5er when you bring those slides in, cause that snow and ice is gonna roll right off. Snow will make big piles, ice will crackle, pop and sound like glass windows blowing out the side of the rig, especially if the ice hits pavement without any snow cushion.

NOW, if your slide toppers are old and the layers of the material is starting to seperate, then, if water gets in that damaged area, it can freeze and then when you go to bring the slides in, you WILL have a problem.

You don't have to ask how we know both of these, eh??

When we had the ice inside the layers of the slide topper material, we had to open the slides, Al got a ladder and tore the top layer of the material off, tossed off the ice and then we put the slides in. They went in and out just fine for several weeks until we could get a replacement topper.

We had the worst ice incident, by the way, in Huntsville Alabama in January. Poor Al, thought he was gonna have a stroke, he truely believed we had blown all the windows out of the curb side of Tana. WOW, what a racket 1 inch thick ice can make hitting the ground from 10 feet up! GULP!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Good news on the retirement. I am counting too. 44 weeks until I am eligible. That's the good news. The bad news is I will probably wait and leave in 212 weeks, but to quote you....who is counting? haha. 12 weeks until I head south for a month. Small steps first!!
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This winter is getting off to a BAD start. Maybe that means that it will end sooner???

Just when you your winter storm has passed - you are reminded that you live in a "snowbelt". This wouldn't be so bad - we are thankful our Montana is not experiencing this weather and we were enjoying the pool in this hot weather here just south of Disney World today - except that all 5 of our grandkids, 3 of our kids (one pregnant), my two sisters and their husbands, and my 80 yr old Dad ALL live within a 15 mile radius and right square in the middle of this.

Cheryl made me stop telling her about these storm warnings as she is very concerned about our kids, grandkids and family. This is the 4th Winter Storm Warning for them now in less than a week.

I believe that snow on your toppers would be a moot point with 40-50 mph winds...
Quote:
quote:1114 PM EST sun Dec 2 2007

...Winter Storm Warning now in effect until 6 PM EST Monday...

The Winter Storm Warning is now in effect until 6 PM EST Monday.

Snow will exit east of the area shortly after midnight. Cold air
will then blast into the area behind this system...activating the
lakes for another round of accumulating lake effect snow beginning
late tonight. 4 to 7 inches of new snow is expected through Monday
afternoon.

In addition...winds will increase out of the northwest and gust to
as high as 40 to 50 mph...resulting in significant blowing and
drifting of snow and low visibility.

A Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather is expected or
occurring. Travel will remain hazardous this morning.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

Not sure bout up there where your clan lives, but down in my corner of Michigan, by the time those really nasty winds came along, most of the snow was melted.

In the last 36 hours, we have had a snow blast, came down hard for a few hours, switched to some form of freezing rain/sleet. Now, that came down right hard, ALL night!! Woke to a bunch of frozen icy mushy stuff. Started warming up, and melting, more rain. Temps went up more than I would have figured it would, and by 9 or 10 last night it was pretty well melted, and by the middle of the night, 1 or 2 AM it was totally melted on our wooden deck. Then the wind really kicked in, the temps dropped and by 4 AM there was a light dusting of snow on the deck.

Let you tell me, it has been QUITE a ride!!

And, We missed the bullet down here in the Irish Hills.

Stay safe all!!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
No, they in entirely different weather, Carole. About like the difference from the FL Panhandle to Miami, FL. Right now they are under another Winter Storm Warning with "...near blizzard-like conditions." Glad I'm not there... wish my family wasn't.

See the pic in my sig.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

I happened to talk to someone who said they were about 30 minutes out of Traverse City. She said they had rain all day yesterday too.

Wow, that saying about weather changing every 5 minutes, it sure is around here the last 2 days.

On edit: Saw that pic in your sig line, I recognize that situation. We live on gravel road, they just came by and spread dirt/gravel on it, so it must have been ice. I have not gone down there to look, but they don't come dumping that dirt/gravel stuff UNLESS the road is like a skating rink. SIGHHH
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That is the main highway (paved) through Alden, MI. Here is a link to see the current situation in Bellaire. Makes me cold just looking at it. 85 here today.

http://www.bmarsh.com/weather/index.html
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Alden, NO KIDDIN??

that is where the lady was I was talking too, buying Char-Broil It.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Those cars to the left are right in front of the restaurant the Cheryl worked at for 7 years. Torch Lake is right straight in front - obliterated by the storm...