Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Carpet

Has anyone ever replaced the carpet in their unit? I am thinking I would like to go to a low nape berber. Doesn't get as dirty so fast and wears like iron. Love it in our stick house.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Nope, slides would have to come out to do the job correctly. I am not letting anyone take out the slides on our unit EXCEPT the service center!

During recent plant tour at the Rally, Al asked why we cannot have option to purchase a better quality carpet. They told him they tried some other carpets, but that the workers could not get good fits around the edges and other places in the coach, that they had to wear gloves to deal with the new variety and that they would have to redesign the entire coach and slides to make a thicker carpet work.

I would DEARLY love to have something else in there, SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:38 AM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
SOOOOOOO....can you replace carpet on an older rig when it has gotten too horrid to live with? Or do you just say "Sorry honey, the carpet's shot. Time for a new Montana!"???[ Hmmmm...what am I thinking--of course you say that!!! Seriously though, carpet quality is an issue for many. And like Carol--nobody touches our slides except the service center. For now, as noted elsewhere, large bathmats from Wal-Mart match the color and approximate the texture of our beige carpet. Strategically placed, they slow down wear and tear on the installed carpet and have the advantage of being washable. When I reach the point of wanting a new Monty, I will ditch them and leave the carpet to its own devices.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:56 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bowie,

For now, we sweep as frequently as we can, we wipe feet really good, (the people do, the yorks still have not learned that technique), we have those step carpets (catch a lot of stuff), we use an outside mat to slow down the stuff, shoes come off at the door, you know all that preventive stuff. I also clean the carpet several times a year.

I don't have the right answer for this carpet thing, I know this stuff is gonna take a dive, but a new Montana is not in our long term plans. Maybe when it gets so bad we cannot stand it we will use more rugs. Just don't know. This has been one of our concerns since before we purchased, as we felt the quality was not up to snuff, and realizing what replacement meant (slides etc). It continues to concern us, and have no idea how we will handle when the stuff is really nasty!

In the meantime, I am gonna see how long it will last with heavy time use! HA HA HA. Keep on Camping!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is getting pretty bad and we've talked about replacing the carpet with the same concerns the rest of you expressed. I wish Keystone could recommend someone to replace the carpet with something that would work. Even replacing ours with the same thing they use in the new ones would be a major improvement. For now, ours is getting a good shampooing this coming weekend.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:34 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We still Have the factory carpet in our 10 year old Terry TT. The quality MAY have been a little bit better 10 years ago but doubtful,We made good use of Throw rugs in high wear areas and cleaned the carpet every couple of years or as needed. We just cleaned the carpet when we put the TT up for sale and it looks really good. Some folks in out local camping club have installed new carpet in their TT's but I can understand how that would be hard to install thicker carpet because of the slide clearances.However why not use the same grade carpet, at least it would be new???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just cleaned ours the other day and it looks tons better. I am amazed at how well and how easily Resolve High Traffic Foam (available at walmart) works! Spray it on, work it in with a brush, let it dry and vacuum. It says you only need to brush in highly soiled areas but I did that all over. Not a big deal to do. One can barely is enough for the downstairs area of our 3295RK. With the kitchen peninsula we probably have less carpeted area downstairs than many other models. So get two cans.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We just cleaned ours with a steam cleaner, which we have used before, and it turns outs very nicely. Looks and feels so much better.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote