Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
What More Do We Need?

Okay after much reading (I've been printing posts for Ed to read) I think we've decided on the Reese hitch and the Prodigy brake controller. Do you think this is right? When we bought our first fifthwheel years ago, these were part of the package and we took what they gave us. We have them transferred to the next truck when we changed trucks however we did not do that this time because we felt like we should have new ones (and I'm sure improved). Ed has always been hesitant about the deisel's lack of compression going downhill. But after reading all the stuff on this new Allison and Duramax is seems like they have that taken care of. Does anyone know about it?
Thanks for all your help. Also can anyone recommend a good running board (not the tube type).
Happy trails....................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue, I'm planning on buying a 2006 2500HD D/A with a month or two. Don't know if anyone has already bought one and pulled anything with it yet. Also, I noticed you were talking about hitches. You may have already seen the new post on General/Improvements/New type of 5th wheel hitch. Sounds interesting.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Both the Reese and the Prodigy are industry standards...hard to go wrong with items rated as arguably the best in the business. I love my Prodigy (there are several threads on here espousing its virtues). I'd also be remiss if I didn't say a few nice words about our PullRite hitch. Paid a little more and haven't regretted it for a minute!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'll probably go with a proven. Definitely, the prodigy. I hear a little about the Reese hitch on the posts. What about a slide?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Our truck is the long bed so we don't need a slide. Ed was very insistent about the long bed. We've always had one (our 3rd truck and 5th wheel) and he likes the freedom of being able to trun wherever he needs to.
Happy trails........................
Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 AM   #6
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
You may want to look at the B & W Companion hitch. Nothing against Reese. Just a suggestion. It is easy to remove, foolproof locking jaws. Rated @ 33K. If you have questions just PM ne. Congrats on the new truck. You guys will just love that thing. All you need now is one of those fancy pin boxes. It is about time for you to get on those Happy Trails.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:24 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I second Pete Alford's post have both like them on my GMC. I have the tubes on my truck and like them, have you seen that they make a tube take runs from front wheel to rear wheel with three steps? I have the shorter Weston's and like the look and how easy they are to maintain. Your truck will do a great job in your travels!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:33 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Sue, I reply because we have just upgraded both our pinbox and hitch and we have the 2002 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with Allison transmission.

We have been very pleased with the TrailAir hitch which we purchased online and had installed at the factory (met the inventor and owner, Dale, while there).

We also purchased the Reese 16K (tilt) hitch online and installed it myself (easy because we left the same rails in the bed of the pickup--exact fit).

Also have upgraded to the Prodigy brake controller which I installed myself. Just be sure to order the correct model to fit the pickup.

We have towed with the Chev. over 22 states just in the previous three months, well over 10,000 miles in that same period. We were in the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming on our last trip. We could not be more pleased with our tow vehicle. We use the "Tow/Haul" feature only in the mountain passes and it really helps, especially on the downhill side.

Also, I agree with Ed. We have the long bed, primarily because we live out in the coutry and I use the pickup around here. But it surely is great to not worry at all about turning with the fifth-wheel.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So... is everyone here recommending that if I just HAVE to have a short box on my 2500HD, I had better get sliders, or else I will be in trouble turning when backing?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I would get a slider unless you have a good friend that is in the auto body repair business. I have seen a couple with back windows broken out or cab corners dented in. A slider will someday make the difference of having to back up out of a tight spot or being able to maneuver around and get get going the right direction. I personally would only have a long box. As we like to haul plenty of firewood with us while towing the 5'er. That and the extra wheelbase length will help the ride while towing. But if I had to have a slider I would not tow wihtout a slider.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ron. I will look into a slider. Someone posted somewhere that a GM has more clearance when turning than it's two counter parts. Not sure... seems a short box is a short box. By the way, the State of Michigan bans all transported firewood (the Chinese Emerald Ash Borer). You must purchase locally. Has created a lot of entrepreneurs near all campgrounds in Mich.
Dave
Old 08-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dsprik, you do need the slider with a shortbed. As for turning radius, the GM doesn't have any more clearance than the others. It's the MONTANA that has more clearance because of the shape of the nose. We've only had to pop the slider four times in ten years of shortbed towing, two of those times with our two Montanas. We saw a fifthwheel being towed the other day where a longbed truck would have to have a slider. They had the hitch so far forward they had far less maneuverability than we do with our shortbed even without the slider.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Parrothead,
I would seriously consider putting an exhaust brake on your new diesel. Any Montana is well over 10K GVW when being towed and that's a lot of weight. I feel the exhaust brake is one of the best investments we've made in our safety. To my knowledge, GM hasn't done anything to change the turbo to give better engine braking.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Bill
After reading and reading we think Allison did. It sounds like the new 6 speed transmission has it. There is a whole section on grade breaking and cruise grade braking. Check out the Allison transmission web site and see what you think. This was one of Ed's biggest hestitation in getting a diesel and we think we are okay but would love your opinion since we are new to the diesel and Allison.
Happy trails....................
Old 08-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
You are correct, GM has the most clearance since their short bed has more length to the rear axle than Ford or Dodge. Dodge is the shortest, but that is not the point I was going to make. In my opinion you WANT a sliding hitch if you do go with a shortbed. I would also recommend the PullRite Superglide, nothing like having a fully automatic sliding hitch. Nothing to remember or pull/slide to be able to turn corners or back up. I have one and would not be without it. Again, just my opinion, but well worth the money.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds great. That's going to be a done deal for me then. Thanks, Dave!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 AM   #17
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Sue,
Check out the other thread in this group on the new Duramax/Allison combo. It does appear that GM has gone to a different turbo that has variable vane technology which acts as an exhaust brake. Sounds great. That being the case, I'd say try it the way it is and see how you like it. If you feel you need more engine braking on the downhills, then talk to someone about the exhaust brake. I used STC Performance in Norwalk, CA to put my BD brake in. They do good work.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, are you saying there is more distance between cab and axle on the GM? You might be right but I'd never heard that. I know I can make a very tight turn before having to pop the slider so if the GM has more than I do then maybe a slider would not be needed.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
If memory is correct, GM has 36" from the rear of the cab to the axle. I spent almost 3 hours at the RV Rally in Redmond, OR talking with the guys from Pullrite on the Superglide. Actually sold 3 to other folks while standing there. I am pretty sure they are the ones who told me the numbers. The problem is our Montana's are 96" wide, if you take that divided by 2 you get 48". There is just no way you can get 48" of coach into 36" of space without the two hitting. But you are right Steve, you can make a pretty good turn w/o having to slide the hitch but in my opinion, why chance it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
M.S., I agree with you about having a slider in a shortbed. I wouldn't be without it. I just wasn't aware of much difference between cab and axle but I don't have numbers so will take your word for that.

I also heard the 2006 Duramax will go to the variable vane geometry in the turbo like Ford has had in the 6.0 since 2003. I can tell you guys you will love the grade braking ability that will give you. Like a mini-exhaust brake. I truly cannot tell a difference in downhills between our '99 V10 gasser and this diesel. And that's true solo or towing, tow/haul or not. The turbo vanes creating backpressure in addition to with tow/haul downshifting makes this diesel even better going downhill than our gasser with non-tow/haul transmission was. Glad to hear GM is making this move. You guys will love that feature.