Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Buddin
Established Member

M.O.C. #818
Screen rooms

Has anyone added a screen room to their awning/RV? Thinking about going to Canada and fiqured I might need it?

Buddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have a portable one that we enjoy. Many of the campgrounds that we've visited aren't suitable for a screen room, but I'm sure some are.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:59 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Great topic Buddin and timely too!!! Here in Manitoba we have had tremendous rains with farm land flooded in some areas. With that has emerged quite a misquito problem. My wife and I spent two weeks trying to decide if we should purchase an add on screen room for our awning. We ended up buying a portable one for now and it is Fantastic!!! However I would like to here from some members who may have screened rooms and their thoughts on them. Is the use of these required in areas such as Florida & California?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Why would you think a screen room would be a requirement? I don't want to get into a region war but having lived in the Midwest (Kansas) and New York (Upstate) and visited many other states, I can tell you California is less buggy than many other places. Bad part of that is we do not have fireflys (lightning bugs) so my Grandchildren think I'm nuts when I tell them about the bugs that light up!
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:50 AM   #5
Montana_4186

M.O.C. #4186
We have been contemplating the screen room as well. We have camped in some places in California where the mosquitos are bad. I have 8 year old twins or are afraid that the mosquitos will suck out all of their blood (a fear we have been trying to overcome). I miss the fire flies! I am originally from West Virginia so we visit family their quite often. My kids love to chase the fire flies in the summer!
Montana_4186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:06 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Buddin, I won't addon a screen room only because I don't want to have the fasteners attached to my 5er. I have a portable Easyup that I can get a screen for. I realize that not all campgrounds have enough space for additionan canopies, but then I guess I will just have to suffer. Also, on the model 3280, the awning extends over the front of the 5er, so there is nothing to attach it to. Good luck on your choices.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
We have the Add-A-Room by Carefree of Colorado. We think that it is great. Some of our observations:
1. Measure the height of the top of the awning to the ground. Many rooms are too short for the Montana.
2. Do not get the cheapest room, go up one level.
3. Check to see if the edge of the room will interfere with the door. If it does you have to get a room that has fasteners that attach to the side of the 5er. That way the side of the room can be fitted around the door.
4. The room extending over the front overhang is no problem. We bought a skirt for the front and attached the side of the room with velcro.
We had to take room down and stow the awning several times in Tucson, AZ because of the wind. We have had it up for 2 months here in Crossville, TN with no problems.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:48 AM   #8
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
You should keep in mind the time it takes to pull the screen room down in case of a bad blow. We spend our winters on the Florida coast where the weather can kick up pretty quickly. Our previous RV (a motorhome) came with an add a room and we never used it because it took so long to set up and take down.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
I found the add a screen room to be much more trouible than it was worth. I paid over $500.oo for mine from c/w 6 yrs ago and used it only 1 season. You have to open and close the door zipper every time you go in or out. Its a pain to put up and down every time you move and in inclement weather. If you tilt your awning so rain runs off it crumbles and bunches on that side. The awning must be level for it to sit right and look good. I lost my whole awning from rain buildup the last time I used mine. Between the weight of the add a room and the water all the arms and roller bent. Under perfect conditions it was nice to have.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote