Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Using my level air bags question

Ok I just rec'd my level air bags today. Reading the small amount of instructions one part states.
Item 2 states DO NOT USE LEVEL-AIR WITHOUT ADDITIONAL FRAME SUPPORT...SERIOUS DAMAGE MAY RESULT.

This suprised me. I can understand that they would not want you to inflate them with your stab jacks down as that would use the stab jacks as levers and could cause some damage. I also can understand the need to raise the stab jacks before deflating them as well to prevent just the same think.

So what is everyone doing and what do you think they are referring to.
My gosh inflating them is just causing the unit to raise as it would when driving over elevated terrain I would think. This is where the spings might come into play. I would anticipate and intended to raise one bag up no more than 1-2"'s then the other if the need was greater than 2" this would bring both axles on that side up relatively evenly. Once leveled this way, I then intended to level front to back with tongue jack, then place a stabilizer chock between them as well as chocks on the opposite side to prevent roll and then Lower the stab jacks to fully stabalize rig.

Is this the proper method?

Thanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,
I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. Are you talking about something that goes on your trailer? Or does it go on your TV? If it is on your trailer is it something you use while traveling? Or is it something to simply level your trailer? Is it something that is actually installed on whichever vehicle or do just deploy it when you arrive at your destination?

Wish I could be more help but don't understand enough to make any kind of suggestion. But do let us know how it goes.

By the way we will be in Santa Paula for a week beginning July 13. If you want drop us a note and get together for a lunch or dinner. Couple of really nice restaurants right near the Mt. View RV Park.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Dennis what Bob is talking about are bags that go under your tires to level side to side.You just drive over the un-inflated bags-then air them up to get level.They replace using boards.

Dennis I believe what they are talking about is that before you inflate the bags you use a good set of wheel chocks between the tires before you inflate.Other wize your rig could roll off the bags.i`ve had these bags for a little over a year now and couldn`t be happier with them.Once its level side to side with the inflated bags then you level front to back with your front landing gear.Good luck with the level-air bags-they will grow on you so to speak.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Harleyrider,
Thank you for the info. I don't believe I've seen these before. Would CW carry them? About what is the cost of such an item? Thanks again for a very clear explanation.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Here is a web site for them. www.levelair.com They are $70 per bag and look to be very sturdy. Will need one for each tire on low side.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 AM   #6
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Maybe addtional support would be in case the air bag went flat. That would sure damage your rear stabs, and maybe your front legs. Just an idea.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I prefer the lego blocks or wood, I dont see how having your wheels on baloons will be stable even if you use wheel locks, its on a air bag something has to move.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I prefer the lego blocks or wood, I dont see how having your wheels on baloons will be stable even if you use wheel locks, its on a air bag something has to move.
You would think so but it doesn`t move.When inflated these bags are as hard as a rock.Its a far cry from a ballon.The outer material is a thick hard rubber.You would be hard pressd to put a knife threw them.But I can see how you would think that.I was a little leary myself until I used them.Wouldn`t leave home with out them now.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote