Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Tire Pressure Monitoring

Has anyone installed the "DORAN" Pressure Pro Tire Pressure Monitoring System and if so, what is your opinion of how well it works. I'm seriously considering adding this to my 6 tires for monitoring, however, would sure appreciate some feedback from anyone who has installed already.
Thanks,
Marshall

On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I purchased the RV7012. My system did not work correctly because of interference from my Ham Radio Transmitter.
The Doran system uses the 430MHZ band. My ham radio was transmitting a beacon on 145 MHZ every minute. This is almost a third sub harmonic of the 430 MHZ freq. My Doran receiver would lock up and have to be reset by disconnecting the power. My ham radio also has a 440 MHZ transmitter and thank goodness I did not transmit on that band or I would have probably blown the Doran receiver.

I noticed the following operating characteristics.
The truck monitors seemed to work fine and always had telemetry on the tires, ever with the radio beacons. This is a good comment for the system
The trailer tires were intermittent - this may be because of the interference. I did turn off the transmitter when installing it and they did work correctly. Every time the system locked up it was one of the trailer tire positions that was effected.

Two of my trailer valve stems would not activate the pressure sending unit because it did not release any air into the unit. I had to improvise by flattening a number four lead shot from a shotgun shell (my brother-in-law loads his own shells). That spacer allowed the valve stem to release air for the unit to monitor pressure.

I did have a valve stem fail on one of the trailer tires. I noticed it in the morning as I was walking around. The system was not in use so I do not know what indications I would have gotten. I am not sure the extra weight of the transmitting units caused the problem but did take them off the rest of the trailer tires. I did not remove the truck units until I was back in NY. Someone told me we should be using metal valve stems when we run 80 psi or higher.

I like the concept and wish it was on a difference frequency.

Because of the Ham interference they did take back the unit and I should see a refund shortly.

Positioning the receiver so it is visible to the driver was a challenge. I used the visor hooks and it stayed in place but was not easy to view during the day. The visor slopped forward so the display was at a 60 degree angle away from me. At night you could see the display well.

Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
I have had a Doran 8 tire monitoring system for about 2 years - 4 TT tires, and front and rear truck tires. Just returned from 2500 mile trip and it performed flawlessly. Installation was fairly straight forward.

My initial system test last year had some trouble reading one of the rear travel trailer tires. Doran actually made an unsolicited call to see how the system was working, I explained that occasionally would lose sensing on one tire, they had an upgrade and sent me a whole new system at no charge. They appear to be very responsive to customers.

This last trip as I said system performed perfectly. It gave me a warning on rear truck tire, pressure had dropped the required about 10 % (forgot the actual per cent) I looked at the tire, looked ok, but futher inspection - sure enough showed a nail present and problem corrected before anything serious happened.

I leave the sensors on the tires even when not hooked to TT and monitor truck pressures. Also can check Tire pressures on trailer in back yard from truck in driveway - beats crawling around with tester. It is very interesting to see how much the pressures vary when on the road. I start with 55# truck front, and 65# on rear and travel trailer and they will run 10# higher ie 65# front and 75 to 79# others when running at 65-70 MPH.

One interesting effect that should watch for - was on vacation for 2 weeks temperatures dropped to around zero degrees which was enough to drop the tire pressure and set off the alarm, which continued to go on and off for the 2 wks - battery was way down when I returned so now unplug when go away during cold weather.

I am very satisfied - don't know yet when will have to replace valve stem sensors - it has been 2 years of continuous use. I have a dash mat and it attaches with velcro. http://www.geocities.com/dgullick1/Dorian1.jpg

It is very reassuring to be able to check on those rear trailer tires when traveling down the interstate.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Thanks to both of you for your excellent feedback on the Doran, especially 2 differing viewpoints. I can assume that a CB radio operation would not interfere with the Doran frequency...would that be correct?
Sounds as if, overall, it's a pretty good system and sure can help to monitor those tire pressures if it's working properly.
Marshall
Old 05-29-2005, 06:49 AM   #5
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
I run with a CB and have had no problems with interference. There are also a number of others on this forum using the Doran monitoring system and may be interesting to see what their experience has been. Mine experience has been only good, hopefully others will respond.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We also have the Doran. Have used on our Montana and on our previous TT. Has always worked, although it's actually a little more sensitive than the book says. It's supposed to sound off when tires go down by 12.5%, then again at 25%, if I read it right. Ours seems to go off when the tires go down by about 5-10%. If I've set them at a pressure and the ambient temperature was 70F, sometimes a cold night will drop the temp enough to sound the alarm. Guess I'd rather have that than not enought warning. We're very happy with the unit.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #7
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Thanks for all the positive feedback from everyone about the "Doran". It is certainly reassuring to hear results, positive or negative, before making such a purchase.
Hoping to see ya'll somewhere at a MOC rally.
Marshall