Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Montana vs Arctic Fox

We are looking at the Arctic Fox 29.5e and the Montana 2950RK. I know that the Arctic Fox has a 4 star rating in the RV consumer guide, but do not know what it is for the Montana. We like the Arctic Fox for it's construction, but do not like the shower (too small) and have heard of leaking problems. We like the looks of the inside of the Montana, but not too sure about the quality of the chaise and the reliability of the manufacture (Keystone) for standing by their product. I know that Northwood (maker of the Arctic Fox) has a very good reputation for standing by their product and fixing problems with little to no fight. Please let us know what your feelings are for both rigs. Would really like to hear from any 2950RK owners.

Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You will hear the entire range of comments on the posts to follow. I enjoy my Montana, very few problems with it. Every manufacturerer has problems. There is a general complaint about quality control in the RV industry. Buy what you like and then determine to have a great adventure in it. Address issues as they arise, do preventive care, and spend little or no time nitpicking your rig apart. Satisfaction is a choice you can make.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
First of all, welcome to MOC! I have found this to be a generally helpful community, the latter of which is also very important!
Stiles made a very good point about not nitpicking whatever camper you finally purchase. My parents had several Holiday Ramblers and they had problems, my wife and I have had a Coleman pop up, a Prowler TT, and now the Montana. We experienced problems with the Coleman and the Prowler, but nothing so drastic that we felt badly about them. The Montana is new to us—see my signature—but a used 2003. We had some issues with the kitchen faucet, some blown fuses, and now the TV, but nothing that would consider a major problem. I have learned by heavy usage of MOC in the last month that the people here talk about both the positive and negative of their units, which is about as honest as you can expect, but most appear to also love their Montanas, which also speaks volumes in my opinion!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
All rv's have quality problems even the more expensive ones and unless you full time sometimes it takes more than a year for these problems to surface. We've always bought the extended warrantys that most dealers offer and found it to be good insurance. Just works for us.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
When we were looking, we looked at the Artic Fox. The dealer we went to didn't have much selection, but they looked like nice units. After looking for 2 years, we always kept coming back to the Montana. We liked the fit and finish, and thought the Montana was a classy looking unit for the price. We have only had minor problems, mostly cosmetic, that I am taking to dealer to have fixed tomorrow. I think both Keystone and Artic Fox stand behind their products, but the main person that will make or brake the experience, in my opinion, is the dealer you buy from. Another reason we chose the Montana, was our dealer. We liked them, and they have a good reputation, and so far, are living up to our expectations. After you decide on the rig that is for you, I would check on the dealer I was buying from too. Good luck...
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello, and welcome to MOC.
I have a 2001-2955 and love it, but that is my opinion. I think both rigs are constructed well, and like everyone will tell you most issues are taken care of by Keystone without much problem. I also think extended warrantees are important.
My recommendation is to do what your heart tells you, be happy with your decision, take your time and look at both rigs several times. Each time you visit one of these units take a paper and pad along and write down what likes and dislikes you find. After you researched both units sit down and go through your list, I think your choice will be easy to make from there.
Like the other gentleman said, the main thing is be happy with your decision.
Good luck,

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Something I think you'll see if you browse through this site is that in most cases people have found Keystone very good at standing behind their products. We have tested this on our previous Montana in which Keystone stood behind an issue one year after it was out of warranty. We have been very happy with the product and the support. That was a major reason our second fiver was also a Montana.

Good luck in your search.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Thanks to you all for being so nice to reply so quickly. I agree with those of you that say to go with what you like the most. The bathroom area (shower mainly) and the Corian counter top in the Montana has both of us leaning toward the Montana.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You won't be sorry. We looked at them all and we have had 2 before and we always came back to the Montana. In my job I have to be very analytical and so I did a spreadsheet with all the pros and cons we found between Alpenlite, Alpha (See Ya - the one with the front window) and Montana. Montana won!
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:45 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
can't say anything about the Artic Fox.We have no knowledge in that area. Montana on the other hand we know plenty about. We have had more problems than most, but over all we still like the unit. the lay out is what sold us...works well for us. this is our second montana...had problems with the 1st one as well. it's sad for me to say, but we have had many more problems with montana than with all other units combined....but with that said....we still really love the unit we have. there has been times where it has been unpleasant and anoying. the dealer knows us by name we've seen the service people so many times I feel like I work there. I have been offered jobs in the past for my knowledge that surpasses some of the techs....and that's just from finding out the hard way.

would we buy another montana....? not sure, but probably. I would definately think long and hard. I think you get the best product for the money. there are many things out there that I feel are built better, but the price is alot more. I think over all for what your paying, they offer alot.

hopefully this doesn't sway you away from montana as I think it is a wise choice, but the one thing you will find here in this site is honesty.

Good luck in the decision making. let us know if there is any technical questions we can help with.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:29 AM   #11
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
K Swope,
First of all welcome to the MOC forum. As you can tell from previous posts the majority of us love our Montanas. We previously owned motorhomes and searched for over a year before deciding on our current unit. We have had only minor problems and have been truly impressed with Keystone and their customer service. In the end, only you can decide which unit is best for your needs. I would also like to point out to you that Keystone does NOT sponsor this forum in any way so all information you will read here is strictly from the owners. Keep us posted on your decision.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:43 AM   #12
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
Hopeful, We struggled in making our recent decision. When comparing the several contenders (Sunnybrook, Montana, Cameo) from the RV show, we used our video camera to help us remember which camper had what to offer. You can also talk while filming and make notes that way. We compared Cost/features/past experience/warranty. Many happy trails in whatever brand you choose.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #13
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
K Swope,
First, welcome to MOC. We have a 2005 327RKS Mountaineer TT. We have owned two previous TT's both from different manufacturers and have to say our Keystone product has been the best by far so far. We looked at many different makes, brands and floor plans and purchased the Mountaineer because we felt it had the most to offer for the price. You can certainly tell the difference in quality between a Keystone product and others. In our search we saw many great models, many of which I would have jumped on but momma had to like it. When we found our 327RKS she said it just felt right. So now we own it and love it. I for one will be with Keystone for a long time to come. My wife and I enjoy our unit a great deal.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Hi and Welcome! We have owned from two other manufactures..fleetwood who was penny pinching on everything they had to fix. Forest River who eventully fixed things but took very long. Then we seen the Montana 2955RL and really liked the floor plan and it seems you get so much for the money! We have not had it out yet, but so far we we couldnt be more pleased with it. The dealer has been super..right there to help in anyway too. I think that your dealer plays 99.9% role in your satisfaction also..Good Luck and go with your gut feeling!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #15
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Welcome to the MOC - here you will find honesty and friendly help no matter which way you eventually decide. Our best advice is the same as several others have come up with - pick you dealer carefully - they can make or break your experience no matter which make you choose. We have heard some good comments about dealers, some horror stories and quite a lot of so-so comments. Talk to the back room service guys (and the service receptionist who probably runs the place anyway).

Needless to say we love our Montana (#3 from Keystone) and have yet to find anything better (for the money) - spent lots of time at RV shows, just in case, . . . . good excuse anyway!

Enjoy the hunt keep us posted on your final decision
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote