Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Selling the house - Maybe??

Debbie and I have been working toward fulltiming for quite some time. We finally got our last child out of college and on her own this past summer. We've been trying to decide what to do about the house. Well, I received an interesting call from a developer today that would like to add our property to a developement he is building next to us.

Anyway, I am scheduled to meet with him on Friday. Debbie and I are hoping for an offer we can't refuse. We believe fulltiming is what God has in store for us next which will include doing disaster relief and other mission projects. So, now we'll just have to wait and see what develops or not!

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I call it "mobile ministry." Nothing is in concrete, it's all on wheels. We will join your petition for "deliverance" from the geographical anchor.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:38 AM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Thanks Stiles. If something comes of this it will surely be a miracle and an answer to prayer.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
FullTimeDreamer,
Man some of us actually pray all our adult lives for a phone call from a developer who would like to buy our house or land. Good luck! Like my wife always tells me - If its meant to be it will be. You know for us, if we were to have gotten a phone call like your's it truely would be a miracle. Our luck would be more like the State of Florida just condemned our property so they can build a road through it but they are willing to give us .50 on the dollar.

Once again, we hope all goes well for you.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We sold our home and left Alaska. It has not been all sunshine and roses, but for the most part we both love being on the road and seeing what this country has to offer. Best of luck to you in your travels and ministry.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:31 AM   #6
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Kimmrg,
I was wondering, you said "it has not been all sunshine and roses". What have been some of the surprises you encountered while fulltiming. My wife and I are planning on leaving the sunshine for the state you left. We will have our English Springer with us and just wondering what some of the challenges have been. Most everyone who posts regarding fulltiming does make it sound like everything is rosey but...So inquiring minds want to know. If you ever make it to Florida and need a CHEAP (free) place to stay let me know. You, your husband and THE GIRLS are more than welcome to stay at our property in north Florida. Plenty of space for the girls to run and have fun.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jeff,

We are no where near fulltimers, just part timers, Winter Texans, what ever you want to call us, but we have had some experiences.

Some of the surprises are just life happening, gotta do the laundry, the machine won't work, or you get into an area with bad water and all of a sudden your whites are orange.

The TV stops working, why?? Who knows, solution, buy a new one.

The shackles break, why, cause they are worn thru, solution, have em fixed. Frustrating, but another way to look at it is, that you have had the opportunity to get enough road miles in that the shackles wore out! That could be considered a good thing!

Tires get flat, you know, that stuff happens.

I think serious part timers and full timers have all had a number of experiences and a lot of them were surprises, but life in a stick built is about the same, one day the dryer works, the next it does not. Stinky, but true.

Al and I say all the time, for this life style ya gotta be creative and handy with your hands and handy with your $$. It surely helps if you can fix the little stuff yourself.

That said, WE LOVE hearing about others experiences and surely appreciate when others post their stories!

One of the Stevens' big challenges is finding campgrounds that will accept 4 small yorkies. Course, if they don't want my yorks, I don't want to share my $$ with that campground, do I???

Hope others will post some more experiences, such good reading!

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol said it pretty well. The fulltime life has its own challenges but you adapt, just like in a stick home. Sometimes you get noisy neighbors. So you live with it, you move, or you hope they don't stay long. We learned to avoid public parks in the summer and especially holiday weekends, for the noise reason.

I had to chip ice off the landing gear in early January so it would retract so we could get out of Kansas City before the roads iced up and kept us there for several more days.

In October we had to park the house and fly to San Diego for a family emergency for two weeks. Fortunately we were still at PlayMor, the rally park, at Bremen, IN, and they worked with us to keep an eye on the house and charged us only the storage plus electricity rate.

Walking on the beach. Do we go left today or should we go right? In other words, there are pluses and minuses but the pluses far, far outnumber the minuses in our little world.

We have come to love the lifestyle. Vicki's e-postcards and our resulting website are something we look back at to smile again at our many adventures. Sometimes I just close my eyes, scroll the leftside list of postcards, click on one and see what comes up. Then relive the adventure. We hope it will serve that same purpose once we 'settle down' and get too old or physically unable to travel, as well.

Shortly before we began our fulltiming adventure, an acquaintance wrote us a letter imploring we rethink our desire to fulltime. She and her husband had tried it and found it nearly destroyed their marriage. However, we are aware there were problems there before the fulltiming so we ignored that advice. The point, though, is that it can strengthen your marriage, as I believe it has ours, if you have a good foundation to start with. But if you have problems being together a lot, then you will have to both work very hard to make it work. Before fulltiming we both were used to being together but also having our own space. I had my computer room, Vicki had her sitting room. Those were not exclusive areas but often caused a physical separation sometimes for several hours. Now, after a day of travel I may take off for an hour or so to get the lay of the land, learn the major roads, etc. Or maybe one of us will do the bread and milk run while the other stays home. Sometimes we go together. The point I'm trying to make is to allow each other some private space if that is swomething you need before fulltiming. We both knew that moving to a much smaller space was going to challenge our marriage, as strong as it was, because it was such a drastic change. So we both worked very hard at making sure it didn't damage our marriage. As a result I believe our marriage has become even stronger. To me, this is the biggest challenge of fulltiming.

I read somewhere there are over a million people fulltiming plus x million more snowbirding. We met one couple a couple of years ago who had completed 16 years of fulltiming and were thinking of finally settling down and buying a stick home.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
How exciting, Lamar and Debbie! God works in mysterious ways. Glen and I are also interested in spending some of our retirement time involved in an RV ministry. Glen really likes the idea as it gives him some feeling of purpose for our rving. Keep us informed of any good ministries that you find. We're right next door..... in Alabama. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Lamar and Debbie we are all waiting anxiously to hear what the answer to these prayers is. Know that whatever it turns out to be, it will all work to His good. And since we are not fulltiming yet, we really appreciate all the advice from those who are. Keep the good words coming!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Folks,

Reading these posts has reminded me of some Christian RV'ers that basicly worked on Building and repairing Church's and Church properties around the Country. They live out of their RV's and usually park on the Church property like a wagon train while helping on the projects. It's called "Laborers For Christ". You can find them @ www.lcef.org/services/laborers_for_christ

All the Best and Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Thanks for all the kind words. Well we had our first meeting and we're supposed to talk again the middle of next week. Looks like they want my neighbor's homes as well. Guess we'll take this one day at a time.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #13
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
fulltimedreamer, Maybe it's time to make your dream come true. Good luck. and wishing you the best.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
[quote]Originally posted by azstar

Hi Folks,

Reading these posts has reminded me of some Christian RV'ers that basicly worked on Building and repairing Church's and Church properties around the Country. They live out of their RV's and usually park on the Church property like a wagon train while helping on the projects. It's called "Laborers For Christ". You can find them @ www.lcef.org/services/laborers_for_christ

When I was in Springfield Ohio We built a church using Laborors For Christ. This group worked wonders for us. The people of the congregation worked evening and weekends helping out.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote