Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
grease wet bolts.

dont know how long the monty was setting on the lot or delivered. its a 2014 3625re. what kind of grease do you use on the wet bolts,? im assuming its a general purpose grease and to only pump a couple of pumps in it want to do it so i know when it was done and i can keep a schedule on it. thanks.

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Some of the members will tell you twice a year and a couple of pumps till you see grease coming out the end. Probably just an all-purpose grease would do. Had mine installed in 2010 and forgot to add grease until last year when I found one zert unable to take grease. Still working on that problem.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I like to shoot new grease in the wet bolts about once per year. I have used general purpose grease and I have used the same hi temp bearing grease I used for repacking the bearings. Right or wrong using the hi temp bearing grease, that is what was handy while doing the bearings.
If you jack up that axle where the zert is not taking grease, it might relieve some of the pressure on the shackle link bolt and it will take grease.
You could also loosen the nut and crank that shackle bolt a quarter turn and it might take grease. Before you rotate the bolt try a new zert. That fixed one of mine.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Over time, average grease has a tendency to cake and dry out. This is because oil has a natural tendency to drain out of the grease thickener, and this process is only expedited when the grease is subjected to heavy loads.

In time, complete drying and lower quality grease can reach a state of consistency ranging from hard putty to sandstone, depending on the thickener type and degradation conditions.

There are many causes for grease dry-out. Incompatible Grease. Accidental mixing of grease can lead to accelerated de-gelling and oil separation. For example, organic clay grease clashes with soap-thickened grease, and a mixture of a calcium sulfonate grease and a lithium based grease will cause problems if mixed.

Always use a good quality grease.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
If you have a compressor, get a air powered grease gun. Even if it is just one from Harbor Frght it will work. Believe me it will make life a whole lot easier.. Even with it there may be a fitting that won'ttake grease. Just jack up that tire to take the pressure off an it should work. After a few miles then it will probably take grease with no problems. Do mine once a year....not like they are bearings or anything,,,,
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

I like to shoot new grease in the wet bolts about once per year. I have used general purpose grease and I have used the same hi temp bearing grease I used for repacking the bearings. Right or wrong using the hi temp bearing grease, that is what was handy while doing the bearings.
If you jack up that axle where the zert is not taking grease, it might relieve some of the pressure on the shackle link bolt and it will take grease.
You could also loosen the nut and crank that shackle bolt a quarter turn and it might take grease. Before you rotate the bolt try a new zert. That fixed one of mine.
Joe
Please note the spelling: http://www.saeproducts.com/grease-fittings.html
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
The head end of the wet bolt has serrations on the bolt part that bite into the shackle to keep the wet bolt from rotating. DO NOT TRY AND TURN THE BOLT HEAD. Remove/loosen the nut on the wet bolt with the weight off the shackle. Now tap the nut end to try and drive the bolt out. Once out about 1/2" you can now rotate the bolt. Turn bolt a 1/4 turn and tighten the nut to draw the bolt back in.

Should take grease now.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #8
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Oh my, let me try Zurk.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote