Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Send a message via AIM to dreamers2010
Fireplace on high setting doesn't work

I have the Dimplex fireplace in our 3605RL 2009 Montana. It does not work on high. It works well lights only or on low heat but when I attempt to switch it to high, the heat and blower shuts down.

Have any of you had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks, Judy

dreamers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Contact Dimplex directly (see dimplex.com), they are very good on the customer service side, and I believe your fireplace should still be under warranty (seems like it is either 2 or 3 years).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
See my post. Dimplex sent me a replacement bottom with vents that solved my problem. Have the serial and model number ready. They have excellent service. I was out of warranty but they still fixed for at no charge.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40847
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I was not as lucky as RCN.Stoker. My unit was out of warranty and when I called them they did not offer a free replacement unit. It cost me about $110. It was the heating / fan unit that was bad. It was a very easy fix. DW and I did it in about an hour. We have used it extensively on our current trip. And boy have we needed it for the last 4 days or so. A very cold front is hanging over our area. We dropped 40 degrees in just a couple of days!

We love our fireplace. At first we thought it was a waste of space but boy were we wrong! Wouldn't have a trailer without it now.
Good luck with Dimplex. They are a a good company to deal with. But as RCN.Stoker indicated have the serial number and model number at hand. I had my fireplace apart so just jotted down the numbers while apart.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
May be a good thing it stopped working. I moved the electrical outlet from behind the fireplace some time ago, and now I have it plugged in where the TV is in the entertainment center. A few weeks ago we were using the fireplace with heat and found the cord very warm to almost hot. I feel the cord is under rated for the unit. I look at changing to a heaver cord but the area it is connected to is inaccessible.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Thanks everyone! Guess we need to pull it out and find the serial number.

How hard is it to pull out the fireplace?

Judy
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Judy (and Bob too),
The fireplace in my 2002 3295RK is relatively easy to remove. On my fireplace the brass looking frame just pops off. Then about 4 screws are holding the body of the fireplace to the Monty. Once all the screws are removed just pull the fireplace out of the opening. The fan and heating on my model sits at the top of the fireplace. I think it is 4 screws that hold it. Remove them and then remove the fan/heating unit.

The replacement unit has excellent instructions. We just followed them and the process was relatively easy and straight forward.

Good luck.
Dennis
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The Dimplex warranty is two years. We, too, had the replacement parts sent to us and it has worked flawlessly since we installed them. We use the fireplace frequently when the temps start to drop.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Thanks everyone for your input. We have located the serial number (which was easy to do) and have called Dimplex. Ours is over two years old now (apparently previous owner/original never used the fireplace). They are fixing for free. However, they said there was another problem with our unit and they are also sending the fix for it as well as a technician out to do it. Apparently that one is a little harder to do than replacing the bottom with a new one having more vents.

In case you have the same one we do, the fan cuts off when the unit shuts down (on high) and leaves just the lighting with no heat. They said they have changed that so that the fan will keep running if your unit overheats to help cool it down. They are fixing free. That is what is actually happening when we try to put it on high because there are not enough air vents in the bottom. So, glad we called them.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Judy
Old 10-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Thanks everyone for your input. We have located the serial number (which was easy to do) and have called Dimplex. Ours is over two years old now (apparently previous owner/original never used the fireplace). They are fixing for free. However, they said there was another problem with our unit and they are also sending the fix for it as well as a technician out to do it. Apparently that one is a little harder to do than replacing the bottom with a new one having more vents.

In case you have the same one we do, the fan cuts off when the unit shuts down (on high) and leaves just the lighting with no heat. They said they have changed that so that the fan will keep running if your unit overheats to help cool it down. They are fixing free. That is what is actually happening when we try to put it on high because there are not enough air vents in the bottom. So, glad we called them.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Judy
Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have an 08 and most of the 7s, 8s, and 9s I have seen have a horribly underpowered fan. The replacement fan is way better. Fire5er, pull your fireplace and open it up and check the terminal block where the electrical cord is attached. The screws that clamp the power cord wire and the wires from there to the FP have been found to be loose on several units. H. John Kohl had his melt down because of the heat from the arcing caused by the loose connections. That may be why your cord is heating up... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Judy,
Glad to hear the good news.
Dennis