Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
I am officially one of you now.

After years of research I finally bought my first fifth wheel this weekend at an RV Show - a 2010 Montana 3150. This floor plan and the Montana brand shot to the lead over a year ago and "withstood" challenges from other units I would consider. Plus, I spend considerable time trying to determine what the true MSRP was on this unit. I think I had a good grasp on that and got this one at approx. 32% off. All of that and the dealer threw in the hitch for nothing (I didn't expect that....is that normal?). The salesman was very knowledgeable and pleasant, plus he is the son of the owner of business and is being groomed to take over the business. So, hopefully I can deal with him throughout all my RVing experience. Thanks for all of the input you guys have proviced on this site. Now.......can I make those wide turns and back it up, that is question?

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Dealerships are always discounting. Sales people try to be nice. They tend to throw in things like the hitch to close a deal. Your discount is one I would expect to get.
You will deal with the maintenance staff after the sale, in most cases. They are very important. Try to find out how good they are.

Can you back the rig up? Well, If you have a short bed truck you should have a slider hitch. If you have a long bed truck you don't need one. The slider is necessary, on short beds, when you are making sharp turns, backing into camp sites, you can easily break the back window of your truck with the front of the camper.
As far as backing up, you get better with practice. Once you get used to it, they are pretty easy to get where you want them.

Enjoy your Montana and good luck with your dealership!

camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Quote:
quote:[i]

Can you back the rig up? Well, If you have a short bed truck you should have a slider hitch. If you have a long bed truck you don't need one. The slider is necessary, on short beds, when you are making sharp turns, backing into camp sites, you can easily break the back window of your truck with the front of the camper.
As far as backing up, you get better with practice. Once you get used to it, they are pretty easy to get where you want them.

I drive a Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crewcab with a short bed. I won't pick this unit up until Wednesday, but I thought the dealer told me I wouldn't need a slider even with my 8ft. bed because of the turning radius of the 5'er. Quess I need to ask about the slider.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Sounds like you got a good deal. Don't feel sorry for your dealer "giving" you the hitch though. Even at today's discounted prices they made a pretty penny I assure you. A few years ago when many were paying near MSRP for rigs these dealers were making $30,000 plus on one deal! Enjoy.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I'm saying you do not need one with an 8 foot bed. Sounds like your dealer said the same.
Sorry If I was confusing.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We, I mean I (or is it we) am thinking of upgrading in the future and the 3150 is the one I have had my eye on. Anyway, congratulations on your new rig and now you are an official member.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations on your new unit and you got a good discount also.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

I'm saying you do not need one with an 8 foot bed. Sounds like your dealer said the same.
Sorry If I was confusing.
Camper4. It was I who confused things I typed that I had an 8 foot bed. Maybe i just wish my short bed was 8 foot long. Anyway, to clear things up, I DO have short bed truck, so I am understanding you to say I do need a slider. Again, the dealer told me I didn't need a slider.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Enjoy your new rig!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Congratulations on your new Monty. Take your rig out to a parking lot on a Sunday morning and both of you practice backing up. It's not hard at all with a bit of practice.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Very carefully make some turns and see if your "cap" clears you cab. If it does, you are set. Look at how much clearance you have between the cab and the cap. This is going to be very important on uneven ground and turning, as it changes the relationship of the cap to cab.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
The Best free gift you will get is the Montana Owners forum !! I'm a newbie and the Montana " Family" is the best deal in the world of RV'ing ! If you can't find it , figure it out, turn it on or off - just ask !!
Happy Trails !
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congrats! Hope that rig exceeds your expectations. Happy RVing..............
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
edmojenks, if you do have a short bed box it would be very wise move to get the slider hitch. In the future you will wish you had of. To many people have found out why, and the end results are not pretty.

Congrats on your new unit, you will have many years of great times in it,

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote