Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Theft increasing

Got a call today. My BIL was camping in a small CG a few miles north of us in his small Class C. A fishing weekend. A few nights ago, a fishing pole was stolen out of a fellow camper's boat. He didn't report it. the next night, someone else in the CG lost his tackle box and a couple poles. He did contact the Sheriff's office.

Jim, planning on rigging down this morning, went to bed last night after removing all of his tackle and other valuables and then parked the boat 5 ft from the Class C door. He woke up and his 25 HP Johnson outboard was gone off the back of his boat. Sheriff's deputies tracked where the crooks drug the motor down the hill to a waiting vehicle. Heavy rain last night is hurting the investigation.

He is especially angry as he thought he had done everything possible to avoid a problem. That 100+ lb motor was taken off his boat 7-8 feet from where he was sleeping!

He thought he was insured, only to find out he was not. The ins company does have a $500 standard payout for such instances under his homeowners ins. He thought he had $500 deductible.

I immediately called my agent. I believe in insurance - always have. Admittedly, my 18 ft Hurricane run-a-bout with 90 HP is more expensive than Jim's 16 ft fishing boat, but this really hits home. I was reassured that I was fully covered with $100 deductible.

I came home and tonight my truck, car, boat, and 3400 are all locked up. This a small community, but with this economy in this heavily unemployed state, theft is definitely on the rise and your only protection is vigilance and good insurance.

Just when you think your stuff is safe...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did as you did Dave and had a chat with our insurance agent. Our 3400 is under our homeowners policy and we needed to understand exactly what that meant and what our coverage was. Our 3400 and truck sit along side the house and you can't miss them when driving down the street. We take every precaution but like what happened to your BIL..you never know.We are well lite up and have motion detector lights. Anywhere near the house and camper and we light up like a xmas tree.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
They saying lighting is the best defense. Sounds like you are set up well for that, Rich. I have been using an extra bright porch light to lite up our entire yard. I have hesitated on the amount of elect I have been going through. As of today, I will gladly pay that elect bill.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hmmm! Add a motion detector activated barking dog recorder to all the lighting. That should really do the trick. I'm not making lite of this, but light and noise scares burglars away.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wayne....You can purchase a unit that does just that. Can't recall where but I will bet a google will turn it up. We have on of those street lite type lights at the front of the proptery all the homes on the street have one and they throw a huge circle of light.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Most of the time, I leave my outside lights off and let the dog keep watch and she does a great job. Since we live a bit off the road, no sense in advertising what is in the yard and where all entrances are. I don't change this when we are gone either. Two of my lights are motion detectors and they do their job well.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote