Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Nesting time watch your Pin box

Mother Robin started a nest in our pin box. She flew out when we pulled in. I removed the nest and knew it was a Robin because of the blue eggs. We will not be her long enough for them to hatch.
One year it was on the ladder. Next year on the slide rail under the living room slide. And now the pin box. All good places to check.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Carolina Wrens loved the Trail Air pin box on my old SOB. The have not shown much interest in the Fifth Airborne pin box on the new Montana.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Seems like that is a great place for them. Without blocking it off, I don't know how to keep them away.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My biggest problem is spiders and bugs. They find every nook and cranny no matter what I do. I've used the baking soda around the tires and jacks, but that doesn't stop the airborne critters. So far no birds in the pin box, but since I roll my 7 pin connector in there I check there often enough.

Worst thing we had is a family of Canada goose created a nest about 15 feet from the rear of our picture window, whenever we took our little Chihuahua "Bob" out for a walk the Father goose went ballistic at him. I had to carry "Bob" the first few feet away from our rig before putting him down to walk. The Goose didn't mind that. Eventually, the 3 out of 4 eggs hatched but within two days all but 1 gosling survived. We were quite saddened but it's the Circle of Life in action.

I'll have to park next to H. John Kohl so any critters will go to their rig first.... LOL
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We once had the same problem. In fact, there is still nest residue visible through the holes in the pinbox. I have a large throw rug I keep in the basement, when on the road, for use when I need to crawl under the rig and don't want to get dirty. The remainder of the time it is rolled up and stuffed into the pinbox from behind to discourage nesting activity. So far it seems to work.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote