Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Front Hitch Receiver Installed

In preparing for next weekends journey south, installed the Hidden Hitch front receiver for the bike rack today. Amazingly simple, everything fit the way it was supposed to and the total install took about a half-hour. Also installed the CB under the dash in about an hour. I even impressed DW (mainly because she wasn't outside with the over the shoulder supervision.) The only thing I didn't like was had to go with a magnetic CB antenna because of the lip on the Chevy's hood. Will have to figure that one out later, but it will work for now. Six days and counting until the pull to Topsail in Florida.........
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, I had a rear door frame mount added for my power stick antenna. Works fine and is not quite a high as a roof mount. Can't run it through the car wash, but I quit doing that anyway. I got it at an electronics store in Anchorage before we left Alaska.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Appreciate the info Phil, out of curiosity, how do you route the coax back there???? The reason I like side hood mounts is to keep the coax under the dash. Anybody know a source for any kind of mounting bracket for the Classic 3500's??? The lip inside the edge of the hood presents a problem.
Bingo
Old 11-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, will have to look tomorrow, raining pretty hard right now. I didn't install so will have to look.

Phil
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo!

Post some pics when you get a chance. Also curious about any interference with the headlights you experience - inquiring minds want to know .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, Coax enters rubber door moulding and then into the plastic molding and down from there. I assume it goes under the door mouldings up front to connector......Good luck!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Brad

We have had the front hidden hitch for a couple of years, tote 2 full size bikes on it.

There is little affect on running temps, even on really hot days (here in Michigan, really hot is about 90 to 100, please take that into consideration).

We do see some bouncing of one headlight, it hits the bike tires, I think on the right side.

Also consider, that these ole retired people rarely drive at night, but the one time we did, and it was raining, and icky, we still felt we had sufficient headlights to see and drive safely. We don't like it, but sometimes things don't quite work out as we had hoped and we end up driving after dark.

We have been very happy with the front hidden hitch, after about 100 miles neither of us even notice the bikes are out there, that said, we are carefuly in tight turns and fueling up. (Yea, we do that too, fuel up with Tana in tow and bikes on the front. Hey gotta have fuel to run, and we are guilty of driving 5 to 8 days to Texas and never unhooking! Consider it a challenge! )
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brad,
I was a little worried about it so of course I had to put the bike rack on with a bike to see what the effect would be. Carol is right, it looks like one headlight will have slight interference from the rear sprockets on a couple of bikes. However unlike Carol we will have four of them hanging off the front. The fog lights are not affected, will know alot more in a couple of weeks since we are planning on driving Friday night to Florida. Brave, but that way the girls hopefully will sleep part of the way (both daughters and a friend will have the back seat occupied). Drivers sanity as in signature is a primary concern!!!!
Bingo
Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Have a great trip. Sounds like you are ready.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Stiles, it is a week that is very needed and looked forward to from a stress-relief standpoint. That is the price some of us pay who only have a couple of weeks vacation each year.
Bingo