Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Components of the Arctic Package?

I'm just wondering if anyone can give us information on what the Arctic Package consists of. We bought a '03 Big Sky with the Arctic Package but are not sure what that means.

We really don't plan on camping when it is very cold, but things could change in a couple of years when we are both retired and will be able to be out on the road for much longer periods of time.

Any info would be appreciated. Sure wish we could store the Big Sky nearer to home. The dealer (who also will be our storage place) is giving us until April for free, and giving us a thorough walk-through before we take it out for the first time. They are also giving us a very good deal on storage rates after April. They really seem to be excellent people to deal with.

HowardCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
So far as I know, the Arctic Package is not as much as you might hope from the name. It gives you some reflective bubble insulation over the bottom covering, and some additional insulation in the roof. The bubble insulation would probably be reasonably effective if only they would close up all the openings into the basement, most noticably, where the slide out hydraulic rams pass through the frame. You could do a lot to improve the insulation without too much effort by closing up these gaps. It seems to be the wind that robs you of heat as much as (or more than) the actual temperature.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
There is a caveat on the "Durability" page of the brochure. It seems to get the R14 rating in the roof and the R21 rating in the floor, you must have the Arctic Insulation Package. Other than that and the sticker next to the door that says "Arctic Insulation Package Installed" I don't know what else it contains.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Just wanted to say congratulations on the purchase of your Big Sky. I am sure it will provide you many adventures and enjoyment in the years to come.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Howard and Peggy to the MOC family.

Can't really add much more to your question than what has already been given. Seems to me the Arctic Insulation Package is a mystery to us all but it does give us something to talk about whenever there is a lull on the forum.

One thing I would like to point out to you two is the MOC rally we will be having in Branson, MO this May. Check it out HERE! Hopefully you will be able top attend.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Thank you all. I think the package contains a bit less than I had figured on, but we didn't really feel we would be needing cold weather comping equipment. Chilly is okay, but not cold. If it's too cold for the motorcycles, it's too cold. They do seem to make quite the big deal out of the "Arctic Package" and it seems to be not a big deal at all. Oh well, it is good to know, but not that big of a deal.

Thank you all again.

One small thing: When we were looking over the storage area, we found two more propane bottles mounted in the storage area in the very front for a total of four. Is this normal, or did we just get a couple of extras? They weren't just standing in there, they were mounted very securely so they wouldn't come loose. Looked pretty much like a factory mount but not connected, just like a couple of spares. We wondered if they might be part of the "Arctic Package" but doesn't sound like it.
HowardCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HowardCh

One small thing: When we were looking over the storage area, we found two more propane bottles mounted in the storage area in the very front for a total of four. Is this normal, or did we just get a couple of extras? They weren't just standing in there, they were mounted very securely so they wouldn't come loose. Looked pretty much like a factory mount but not connected, just like a couple of spares. We wondered if they might be part of the "Arctic Package" but doesn't sound like it.
Not a part of any Arctic Package I have ever seen. Looks like the previous owners carried 2 spares.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I'm with Glenn on this one, sounds like the previous owners carried 2 spares.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
That probably is not that unusual if they did a lot of boondocking. When we were parked (for a year) in the last long term CG we were in you took your empty tank up to the office and sometime in the next 48 hours you got it back. We bought a 3rd tank so that we always had 2 in the Monty. Ed had to go back to the stick house every couple of weeks to take care of things and he didn't want me to run out of propane. This worked really well for us at the time. We got rid of the 3rd tank.
BTW Welcome Howard and Peggy.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Could be real nice to have.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I also have the 2003 3670 Montana. The attic is vented also. If you need more storage space, under the stove and fridge are empty. I kicked in the paneling and made doors for both spots, I got enough room for all our pots and pans now. I also installed an outlet in the basement right behind the electrical panel..easy mod. The small panel next to the electrical panel is empty also. I have not found a nice piece of oak for that spot yet to make a door. Do you have Duo Pane windows? That would be a nice option to have. Mine sweat if the temp gets below 40. Don't think only about heating in cool weather. Insulation is also good when cooling.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think the Arctic Package is as OntMont and others described it. I'd have it whether I thought I needed it or not, for resale value.

Do as you want, but I'd be careful about plugging too many holes in the belly. When in freezing weather, the furnace pumps heat into the belly. The displaced cold air has to have some place to exhaust. Otherwise you create too much pressure and won't get much heat into the belly. For that reason I've elected to not plug any of the holes. I do plan to put screens over them, however, to keep critters out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I think the Arctic Package is as OntMont and others described it. I'd have it whether I thought I needed it or not, for resale value.

Do as you want, but I'd be careful about plugging too many holes in the belly. When in freezing weather, the furnace pumps heat into the belly. The displaced cold air has to have some place to exhaust. Otherwise you create too much pressure and won't get much heat into the belly. For that reason I've elected to not plug any of the holes. I do plan to put screens over them, however, to keep critters out.
IMHO, there are so many cracks, holes, gaps, loose fittings, and just plan openings in these things, I don't think you could make them air tight regardless of what you did.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote